Any experience with Plain Ol' Trailers?

CatBird

It appears that Georgia is the trailer capital of the World. I did tour two trailer facilities in Fitzgerald and one in Pearson Georgia. I saw the same trailers being made, rolled outside and names placed on them. Basically the exact same trailers (better insides) with widely varying names on them. Here is an article in 2015 that seems to sum it up. Your comments?  The yellow highlighting is due to my search criteria|

Look is a relatively new company, just founded in 2010.  Then they purchased Pace American sometime around 2012...Pace is a long time trailer manufacturer.  So based on that, Look = Pace American, if you want to search some for reviews on Pace trailers.  Neo is a similarly 5-ish year old company, and their story of how their pre-2010 trailer company was run into the ground and "rescued/resurrected" by original owners under the new name Neo is right on their website.  They appear to be independently owned.  R&R also appears to be independently owned, and is probably the only company of the bunch that actually survived the economic downturn with few major shake-ups, and of course they have their relatively unique no-dealer factory-direct sales approach.

As for Ameralite...realize this is the same company as Forest River = US Cargo = Rance = Lightning....all now blended into one giant company that is owned by Berkshire Hathaway.

Basically, there were huge shakeups in all these companies during the economic recession of 2008-2010...resulted in massive unemployment in the area they are all located....THE worst-hit area of the country due to lack of diversification of industries...mostly trailerand RV manufacturing and nothing else.  And after the shake-out, many of the trailer mfg companies that managed to survive were rescued by some deep pockets who wanted to invest in this industry at the bottom and make a big profit out of their return to success, and as a result of the financial rescues and the recovering economy many of these names are changing and somewhat blending, and the stronger companies that survived have now come out of the ashes, establishing a name for themselves, and are doing pretty well again.

Recognize that every brand you just mentioned...R&R, Neo, Lightening, Ameralite, and Bravo, are made in factories that are within about a 45 minute drive of each other.  You didn't mention Stealth (another independent), and Haulmark/Featherlite/Wells Cargo (all now owned by "Universal Trailer company")...but they're right in the mix there also, and they all have factories are in that same general location.  I'm also sure there are more that I'm forgetting.

So to be real honest, they're all probably 98% identical in terms of construction quality and design...let's face it, they're just welded aluminum boxes, they're all made in the RV mfg district of northern Indiana/southern Michigan, likely all buy their materials from the exact same local material suppliers, and are assembled by many of the same workers who live in the area and occasionally jump between all these companies, following wages/benefits, or their friends/favorite production line managers and/or unions, just doing what they know how to do to make a living...welding and assembling trailers.  I'm convinced that all of these trailers you are shopping are FAR more similar than many realize, or are willing to admit.  

So I'd recommend you ignore the brand names.  It doesn't matter.  Just buy based on price, little details & options & features you want, and your own convenience of purchasing...dealer location or whatever.  They'll all get your sleds where they need to go very effectively.

===============================================================================

Personally, I am waiting back to hear from Pace American Journey. I have been working with a local Pace salesman and does not even know basics and has to call the "Pace Guy" to see if the I Beams are 6" or 8" if I ask for 7 k axles.

4 hours ago, JACK M said:

Mine is a Cargo-Mate 'Eliminator.

26 ft and has aluminum frame and a floor like Marty shows.

It has AC and heat in the same roof unit. It also has cabinets with a generator and a compressor.

The work bench sports a vice.

inside and outside lights.

It makes it pretty to work out of.

The race car is wide so I built ramps to the height of the wheel wells. (they come right out if I need the height).

Bonus is I can load the quad thru the side door with the car in there. You can see one of the ramps in front of the racecar.

IM000672.JPG

Looks good to me, Jack I especially like the ramp in the Vee Nose. 

Have a question about the ramps? Does this raise your center of gravity and cause problems? Looks like you have a much lighter car that my brass and 1950s cars. I had thought at one time to get a deckover trailer and have a flat floor with an enclosed box on top. But someone, I am losing track of who said not to, but he seemed very positive that I should NOT do this as it would raise the center of gravity and could have problems.

Bill, I was semi familiar with the fact that the trailer companies have been merged into multi brand names/tags. But all are not the same quaility. My Pace is decent.....not fantastic. It seemed to be much better than most of the others I looked at. Since your close to where they are built, I would determine the best manufacturer you can find, then be sure it has a perimeter frame of steel all the way around and not just two rails with stringers. That’s why my unit is rated for 24k, with that type of rating your buying steel. Having extra floor bracing at 12inches on Center is a big plus, makes the trailer heavier, but much stronger. Buy it once and order it right. Often times the welding and fabrication is done poorly. Seems every person in the world with a substance abuse issue is an employee at these places.....screws missing their marks and not holding onto anything, lousy welding that is not as long as a bead as it should be on the supports, etc. My custom built Wells Cargo was fantastic and lasted 15 years with no problems. My new Pace is decent but not fantastic. Just be sure you get a trailer rated for 18 to 24 thousand pounds, that way it will be built well enough to support a big car, the trailer, and some extras. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Bill, I was semi familiar with the fact that the trailer companies have been merged into multi brand names/tags. But all are not the same quaility. My Pace is decent.....not fantastic. It seemed to be much better than most of the others I looked at. Since your close to where they are built, I would determine the best manufacturer you can find, then be sure it has a perimeter frame of steel all the way around and not just two rails with stringers. That’s why my unit is rated for 24k, with that type of rating your buying steel. Having extra floor bracing at 12inches on Center is a big plus, makes the trailer heavier, but much stronger. Buy it once and order it right. Often times the welding and fabrication is done poorly. Seems every person in the world with a substance abuse issue is an employee at these places.....screws missing their marks and not holding onto anything, lousy welding that is not as long as a bead as it should be on the supports, etc. My custom built Wells Cargo was fantastic and lasted 15 years with no problems. My new Pace is decent but not fantastic. Just be sure you get a trailer rated for 18 to 24 thousand pounds, that way it will be built well enough to support a big car, the trailer, and some extras. 

Looks like my question above got lost in the discussion.  So, when does one need to be mindful of CDL requirements kicking in?

Air brakes, over 26,000 pounds, or Commercial Purpose for gain. Gets to be a gray area. It’s important to never be over weight with ANY trailer.......or over gross weight on the truck and trailer. Medicial  cards, trucking log, safety gear, it all starts to add up. Best bet is to own the truck and trailer in your own name. And only admit use as recreational personal use. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

In Califunny, the 26,000 lbs limit for a Class C (regular) driver's license applies not to the trailer but to the prime mover; 26K lbs can be a motor home.  The TOWED (trailer) vehicle GVW limit is 10,000 lbs with a Class C license, and your prime mover can be UP TO 26,000 lbs.  If your trailer loaded gross exceeds 10,000 lbs (such as Ed's or a gooseneck), you'll need a Class A non-commercial driver's license if you're a private owner, and that license requires a driving test, most of which is backing the rig up.

Recommend reading your state requirements carefully, and if those are more generous, carry a copy with you.  For CA people, the info is in a one-page table on the inside front cover of the "Commercial Driver's Handbook," which can be downloaded free from the CA DMV website.

• Like 1

Pace went belly up about 5 / 6 years ago and the name was sold to the highest bidder. So when you are buying a Pace trailer you are now actually buying from Look Trailer Co. using the Pace name. They only bought the intellectual assets at the auction and not infrastructure I believe. That caused a headache for the new owners using the Pace name as people looking for warranty and parts for the older trailers. That is a very common practice at a bank held auction selling off a trade name. Sears Canada has gone bankrupt past Nov. and I am told Lowes has bought the rights to Craftsmen in Canada. See what happens now with Craftsman here.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

In Califunny, the 26,000 lbs limit for a Class C (regular) driver's license applies not to the trailer but to the prime mover; 26K lbs can be a motor home.  The TOWED (trailer) vehicle GVW limit is 10,000 lbs with a Class C license, and your prime mover can be UP TO 26,000 lbs.  If your trailer loaded gross exceeds 10,000 lbs (such as Ed's or a gooseneck), you'll need a Class A non-commercial driver's license if you're a private owner, and that license requires a driving test, most of which is backing the rig up.

Recommend reading your state requirements carefully, and if those are more generous, carry a copy with you.  For CA people, the info is in a one-page table on the inside front cover of the "Commercial Driver's Handbook," which can be downloaded free from the CA DMV website.

Yes be very careful as every state has different rules. I bought a trailer in Texas got pulled over in Buffalo at the end of the toll highway. I was hauling illegal but the Trooper was a nice guy and let me go being only about 10 miles from the boarder. Pretty well said to get out of Dodge City and no stops. Air brakes can be a big issue in many places so if you have air brakes make sure you are covered where ever you travel. 

If you borrow a trailer it is a good thing to have a permission slip signed and dated especially crossing the boarder.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

17 hours ago, CatBird said:

As for Ameralite...realize this is the same company as Forest River = US Cargo = Rance = Lightning....all now blended into one giant company that is owned by Berkshire Hathaway.

Basically, there were huge shakeups in all these companies during the economic recession of 2008-2010...resulted in massive unemployment in the area they are all located....THE worst-hit area of the country due to lack of diversification of industries...mostly trailerand RV manufacturing and nothing else.  And after the shake-out, many of the trailer mfg companies that managed to survive were rescued by some deep pockets who wanted to invest in this industry at the bottom and make a big profit out of their return to success, and as a result of the financial rescues and the recovering economy many of these names are changing and somewhat blending, and the stronger companies that survived have now come out of the ashes, establishing a name for themselves, and are doing pretty well again.

Recognize that every brand you just mentioned...R&R, Neo, Lightening, Ameralite, and Bravo, are made in factories that are within about a 45 minute drive of each other.  You didn't mention Stealth (another independent), and Haulmark/Featherlite/Wells Cargo (all now owned by "Universal Trailer company")...but they're right in the mix there also, and they all have factories are in that same general location.  I'm also sure there are more that I'm forgetting.

So to be real honest, they're all probably 98% identical in terms of construction quality and design...let's face it, they're just welded aluminum boxes, they're all made in the RV mfg district of northern Indiana/southern Michigan, likely all buy their materials from the exact same local material suppliers, and are assembled by many of the same workers who live in the area and occasionally jump between all these companies, following wages/benefits, or their friends/favorite production line managers and/or unions, just doing what they know how to do to make a living...welding and assembling trailers.  I'm convinced that all of these trailers you are shopping are FAR more similar than many realize, or are willing to admit.  

So I'd recommend you ignore the brand names.  It doesn't matter.  Just buy based on price, little details & options & features you want, and your own convenience of purchasing...dealer location or whatever.  They'll all get your sleds where they need to go very effectively.

Thanks for the great information about the consolidation in the trailer manufacturing industry. Sadly the company that made my trailer (small trailer maker with just one plant) was forced to close for financial reasons about a year after they made my trailer.

A friend of mine bought an Aluminum Trailer Company (ATC) a few years ago and loves it.  Go to any AACA Meet and you will see a number of ATC trailers in various shapes, sizes and designs. FYI, ATC is not owed by a conglomerate or an investment company like Berkshire Hathaway. The Eight owners of ATC are involved in and manage every aspect of the company. 

If the original poster is considering an Aluminium Car Trailer he might consider looking at ATC. Initially they might appear more expensive but that can easily change once one does an apples-to-apples comparison of like features.

17 hours ago, CatBird said:

Looks good to me, Jack I especially like the ramp in the Vee Nose. 

Have a question about the ramps? Does this raise your center of gravity and cause problems? Looks like you have a much lighter car that my brass and 1950s cars. I had thought at one time to get a deckover trailer and have a flat floor with an enclosed box on top. But someone, I am losing track of who said not to, but he seemed very positive that I should NOT do this as it would raise the center of gravity and could have problems.

I guess I don't have a pic of the ramps, but yes the race car is about 2400 lbs.

They are only about a foot tall and I have never experienced any trouble with carrying high like that. I do on occasion put lower cars on them but that one foot limits most of my cars.

I plan to set them up today or tomorrow for a swap meet so I will post a pic in a couple of days.

It is not a V-nose, that's the side door that you see. Its a double door.

Funny thing about a four foot door, its only 47 1/2 inches as the framing for the doors take up a half inch. I had to cut the rear wheels centers out and bring the rims in a little to narrow the rear track as the quad is right at 4 ft. at the rear side walls with the original wheels.

The quad is a valuable tool in my garage, it will push or tow cars, has a winch, and will pack gear from the pits to the hot pit area, as well as get me around the neighborhood quickly.

Thank you all, especially Ed Minnie, for all your ideas.

My 36' gooseneck Featherlite will carry any car we have with the top down.  I like convertibles, touring cars. These will all fit., even our 1934 Brewster Town car will fit in the Featherlite. 

The gooseneck Featherlite pulls beautifully and has good storage room when we travel. The torsion axles are smooth as eggs!

I would like the Forest River trailer with the fender wells at 4 1/2" that would be perfect and are still following up with Forest River. Pace may make the raised floor. I like this idea. Still looking, but the Featherlite is really good! I use my winch to load and unload and don't need an escape door.

IMG_3642 1.JPG

IMG_3282 1.JPG

P1070697.JPG

P1070696 1.JPG

P1070689.JPG

Lee Featherlite 1.jpg

P1080828.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, JACK M said:

I guess I don't have a pic of the ramps, but yes the race car is about 2400 lbs.

They are only about a foot tall and I have never experienced any trouble with carrying high like that. I do on occasion put lower cars on them but that one foot limits most of my cars.

I plan to set them up today or tomorrow for a swap meet so I will post a pic in a couple of days.

It is not a V-nose, that's the side door that you see. Its a double door.

Funny thing about a four foot door, its only 47 1/2 inches as the framing for the doors take up a half inch. I had to cut the rear wheels centers out and bring the rims in a little to narrow the rear track as the quad is right at 4 ft. at the rear side walls with the original wheels.

The quad is a valuable tool in my garage, it will push or tow cars, has a winch, and will pack gear from the pits to the hot pit area, as well as get me around the neighborhood quickly.

pics as promised

IM003704 - Copy.JPG

IM003705 - Copy.JPG

IM003706 - Copy.JPG

IM003707.JPG

IM003708 - Copy.JPG

IM003709 - Copy.JPG

IM003710 - Copy.JPG

IM003712.JPG

IM003713 - Copy.JPG

IM003714.JPG

IM003715 - Copy.JPG

IM003716.JPG

Most of the guys at the track have built something permanent. These cars are wide and none will fit in an average trailer.

One guy runs his quad in then pulls his car in at a very severe angle over the quad.

I couldn't get behind that, My rat rod (radically chopped) will fit up on these ramps, but nothing else I have will.

It can take them in and out with ease. Although its easier if I can wrangle one of the boys to handle the heavy end.

In one pic you can see that I have a couple of those ball locking pins in each side going thru the floor to keep them in place.

When the quad is in I slide the 2X6 wood ramps under it. But they stand up against the wall with a bungie holding them just inside of the door.

I pop riveted a piece of aluminum angle to the floor to keep the bottom in place. Did that to keep my floor jack in place as well.

That aluminum floor is easy to work with.

You probably cant see that the big ramps have a slight angle change towards the rear to accommodate a slight dove tail of the trailer floor.

That 4 ft side door is not four ft. My quad advertises at four feet but the rear tires would not go thru the door. So I moved the centers of the rear wheels out a but so it would fit.

It seems the four foot door is the size of the cut out. The hinge robs about a half inch on each side.

Another issue I had was that the ramp door isn't quit full width, so I have to change one of the front tires to get it thru the door.

You can see that the RF tire on the racecar is what we call a loading tire. Rear track of the racecar is narrower.

Just goes to prove that "Its always something"   

Fun stuff !!!