18” Rudge Whitworth Wheels for sale

Graeme1938

Speedster Wheels for sale

Seasons Greetings to you all. 

I have five 18” Well Base, Rolled Edge Rim, 62mm Rudge Whitworth (Vintage Centre Profile) Splined Wheels in great condition for sale. They were used a few times on a 3 litre WO Bentley in the very early years of All Historic Racing in Australia. 18 inch wheels are used on 3 litre WO’s in competition so that they have better acceleration. Also the Confederation of Australian Motorsport allows a minimum of 18” rims into Group “J” pre 1930 Racing so if you’re building a car that you intend to race in Australia then these are the go. The tyres on them are only good to push a car around on while you build it. 

Details of the Wheels are as follows:

62mm Rudge Whitworth Splines

18” well based rolled edge rims

70 spoke (4 with butted spokes)

Triple laced

Before you make silly offers please price a set and don’t waste my time or yours. 

$3000 AUD

These are located in Australia and can be inspected in Leura or Darlinghurst NSW. 

I can send images if you get interested. If someone overseas gets excited I’m happy for you to get someone local to inspect them for you and if you end up buying them I will strip the tyres off them and deliver to your shipping agent. 

8F3A4427-E5C0-4F9C-BF4A-4960FA058406.jpeg

41303111-48DC-4CAE-829F-E74B3BAD0DCF.jpeg

897AC506-FE60-46DE-A7F7-FCD8EB7F8F21.jpeg

8595C0D1-F1F8-4F0D-8070-23187B601CC7.jpeg

DAE33701-70ED-4A9B-813E-71C6A14AFA96.jpeg

Don’t worry about it. I don’t own a 3 litre or any WO or a 30/98. I’ve got a 1929 Chrysler Series 75 Roadster. The Chrysler goes, steers and stops AND is nice to drive. Chryslers are great performing vintage cars as witnessed by their continuing front running performances in everything from circuit racing to long distance rallying and they can be safely driven in todays traffic densities. Plus, if you ever manage to break a Chrysler parts can be bought at reasonable prices. 

I bought the Wheels from the guy that raced the 3 litre Bentley years ago. The idea was to build a Chrysler Speedster but the 75 Roadster covers all bases so no Speedster needed hence I’m selling the Wheels. 

There was a guy in Australia named Ray Jones who raced a Chrysler 75 Roadster in events all over the world. He also ran a business called “Vintage Racing Chrysler’s” and built a number of very fast big Chrysler Roadsters - he called them Bentley Beaters and they were. 

Ive never driven a 4 1/2, speed six or 8 litre WO or a 30/98 but I have driven a really good 3 litre - did I say the Chrysler goes, steers and stops AND is nice to drive. 

Even if my six lucky numbers come up I’ll stick with the Chrysler - I’d just tidy her up a bit. 

Supposedly he said the "Mr. Bentley makes very fast trucks." Don't get me wrong though, I'd rather have a 3 or 4-1/2 than a Bugatti, though it's unlikely to the vanishing point that I ever will. I have never worked on a Bugatti but didn't find the Bentleys as intimidating as many would suggest... though in one case, to replace the water jacket cover, I had to take the steering column out.

I seem to remember that WO Bentley was quite impressed with the Chryslers that ran at LeMans. Back in the 70s a good friend had a Chrysler Imperial 80 roadster that had been rebodied as a LeMans replica... which is to say the roadster body was completely shot and the replica body was not very well made. We never got Bentley-like performance out of that car but I attribute that to the fact that were were all in our early 20s and trying to sort the problems out without any guidance at all. Today, we'd a whole lot better at it.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I don't think I do but I will ask John Zangari... who owned the car. He might well have some.

There was a wreck of an Imperial 80, made into a doodlebug, on ebay last year. I actually gave it a passing thought but I'm all booked up with projects.

j

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

Chrysler in Competition, European Road Racing 1925 to 1931 by Ray Jones and Martin Swig (Publisher Auromobilia) contains some good photo’s and accounts of Chrysler’s Racing exploits in the day.

Ray Jones who coauthored the book had a very quick 1929 Series 75 Roadster. It was timed going through the trap at 118mph on the Mulsanne Straight. Google him and the Chrysler - he travelled extensively racing all over the world with it. Here is a link to his race practise times on Australia’s Phillip Island Circuit.  Good thing is there are some pretty awesome factory race cars in the field so times can be compared.  When you look at the times and other competitors you should also be aware that every other car in the field is a race car, Ray Jones's Chrysler was lugging around a vintage body and was road registered.  The field had some very nice equipment running - Austin 7 is the blown rubber duck factory race car.

http://racing.natsoft.com.au/641033840/object_484662.70K/Result?1

I saw Jones race his Chrysler a number of times. It was very well sorted and a pretty car. Plenty of photographs of it on the web. 

PS. Unfortunately my 75 doesn’t look or go as well as the cars Ray Jones built. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Al,

Yes the two Alvis are both beaut Monoposto Single Seat Racing cars. From memory the Eastwood car is a 1935 Speed 25 Special and the Hood car is a supercharged 12/50. I’ve seen them both race - very well driven. 

On 5/1/2018 at 9:53 AM, robert smith said:

Hi  Are the 18'' rudge still available and if so have you a contact number thank you

Yes Robert. I can be reached on 0451512823 Wheels can be inspected in Leura or Artarmon just give me some notice.