My "new" classic- w/water in oil- need info

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

While not a Buick- I recently bought another GM "classic" car. I recently bought a 1969 Pontiac Executive Safari stationwagon. I got the car sometime in July. In case someone is not familiar with the body-style, it is the Pontiac version of the same design/body style as the 1970 Buick Estate Wagon. When I inquired about the car (purchased off of internet) I was told it was a very good running car, with 3-seats, and very minor rust on one quarter panel. When the car was shipped in, needless to say- I was disappointed. When I seen it on the carrier, it looked OK, but not as good as I was told. Also looked a little better in the photos. It had a pouring fuel pump, rattley lifters, grinding starter, pepper in radiator (was told radiator was fixed) moderate rust on one 1/4 panel and when I towed it home from the drop-off point, I checked the oil - Indicating to me - water in oil. Also it was a 2-seat model- not 3 seat. Installed a new fuel pump and got it running at least. I am planning on changing the oil to at least try to get it running OK, as I am planning on selling it. I once heard that if a car sat a long time, the engine draws moisture and this may be a cause for the white oil. If not, it is OK, as I am expecting the worse- a cracked block/head gasket? The car has the 400 engine. I want to change the oil and run it to see what happens- so I can properly represent the car when I do sell it. Uncle said to put diesel in motor, start it for about 10 seconds - or at least crank it with diesel in engine- then install new oil, but dad says not to do that, as it will ruin the bearings. Can anyone recommend anything else besides changing the oil to try to find out the problem? Thanks.

Using Diesel in the engine is too harsh!!! Many years ago I remember dad having to flush the engine with a fresh filter 2 quarts of trans fluid (Dextorl? for G.M.) and 3quarts of straight weight oil. Then run the engine to temp and drain. Reason trans fluid was used is because it is a high detergent lube. This way you are protecting the engine and cleaning it. Just my 2 cents.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for the replies. As far as "buying cars sight unseen"- my dad warned me, but me, assuming everyone is honest, bought the car anyway and ended up learning a lesson. However, the seller knew he was wrong, but thought he could scare me into giving him payment for the car. Luckily, the transport company arrived to get the car before he got my check and I was forced to stop payment on it, so I have nothing in it, but transport costs, a lot of trouble and a lawyer fee that will cost who knows what. He (the seller) threatened me - that he would sue me, if I did not re-issue the check. I got an attorney to take it over- he looked it up in the books and seen what I did was legal, since the seller deliberately lied to me on several accounts and actually I could be the one sueing. He sent a letter to the seller stating the law, the seller quickly replied and said for me to keep the car to sell to get my transport money back, or he would send my transport money back and get the car. Being the nice person I am, to save him having to give me my transport money back, as well as him having to pay to have it sent back- told him I would just take the car in lieu of my transport money. He has released claims to the car and the case is now settled. Has really been a lot of trouble. Glad it is over. Thanks again for the replies on the engine. I think I will just do a compression check and change the oil.

As they say, keep us posted! You were lucky the person agreed to ship the car without waiting for the check to clear. I assume

you have the title, so if you want to sell it you can. I have looked at alot of cars over the past 8 years. I would say about

50% of them were described within reason.

I think the only way to buy remote is in this order: 1) make the trip yourself 2) ask a club member to look at the car for you

and send him/her a $40 gift certificate to the Outback Steakhouse as an act of appreciation for his/her time. 3) Contact a

restoration shop in the area and engage them to inspect the car.

Even pictures conceal alot of flaws.

Good advice indeed. I as well learned the hard way years ago buying without personally inspecting the car. Even though I was sent a multitude of pictures, the one missing was that of the garage floor and the pool of tranny fluid sitting there. Even these cars at Classic Car dealer web sites don't present the cars true condition. I too would only put oil in the crankcase, there are other ways to pinpoint a problem without creating another. Good luck on your restoration.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. Yes, I do have the title, so I can legally sell the car. I was also lucky that the seller did let the car go before the check cleared. He had no idea the transport company would be there so soon, nor did I know. They was there two days after I e-mailed the contract. I guess after that, he was hoping he could get the check cleared before I got the car. Actually, this was a "classic car dealer". He finally signed a paper releasing all claims of the car to me. I thought this would be OK, as the seller of my 1989 Pontiac wagon was very honest in describing the car and it was actually better than I thought. I was just lucky on this one. Too bad everyone can not be this honest. Also, the seller of my 69 said he was going to DRIVE the car six miles to the loading point. The transport driver said the man towed it in with a tow truck and dumped it off and took off. He driver could not get the car started, so he called the seller back to help him get the car on the truck. He said the seller had to keep pouring gas in the car, as he tried to put in on the trailer. He (the seller) knew he had lied to me. I am just glad he did not get all of my money. I think I will just change the oil only. I may let it run for a minute with the current oil to get it warm, so it will drain easier. Thanks again and I will let everyone know what happens. I am also needing a air cleaner for the car. If anyone has a breather that will fit a 1969 Pontiac 400 2bbl. engine, let me know. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

Yes, I have finally. I had forgot I had posted about this ordeal here. After getting an attorney, I was able to put an end to it. My attorney showed me in the law books, that what the seller did was wrong and I was 100% correct in stopping payment. After e-mails, and letter from him stating he was going to get his district attornet to prosecute me, my lawyer wrote him a letter stating the facts, and days later, he replied and asked me to just keep the car and sell it to get my money back, or he would give me my $395 and send for the car. I told him I would just sell it. I also had to pay a small lawyer fee as well and did replace a couple of parts to at least get it running so I could move it. He sent a hand written letter releasing all claims of the car to me. I currently have it for sale, but my mom has misplaced the title, so we are searching for that. Also found out, it is not even the original engine in the car, as it has a late 70s Pontiac 301 in it. It is not running good at all. Hopefully a wagon fan will get it that wants to restore it. Was just too much work for me. I thought I was getting a good running car, according to the seller. I have learned my lesson of buying a car without seeing it. Too bad sellers like this ruin it for the honest sellers. The person who sold us our 89 Pontiac Safari wagon, was very honest and car was even better than stated. Too bad everyone cannot be this honest. Thanks again for asking.