1933 Dodge BARN FIND - HARLEAN'S COMEBACK

Sactownog

4 hours ago, Sactownog said:

so when this engine is rebuilt, you are suggesting I run 10w-30 in it?

Yes. After running in. I am using a 5W-40 CI-4 in my 1930 DC engine - it has a few miles on it. If you use a low number before the W, it means the oil behaves as a lower viscosity oil when cold, i.e. at startup. This means full lubrication starts quickly because the oil is easy to pump and flows more easily than SAE 30 oil. Oil viscosity charts show a very steep reduction in viscosity as the temperature rises. You might like to read Richard Widman's paper about oil - lots of graphs there.    https://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Oil.html

There are no "cork gaskets" now. They are rubber impregnated cork, much better. For the sump, spend as much time as needed to make sure the top of the pressed steel sump is truly flat to improve the chances of a good seal against the truly flat (machined) surface of the crankcase. And don't tighten the bolts enough to bend that surface again because it will leak!

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Sactownog said:

the purists seem to take to much to heart from those original books

I would be a bit stronger in my terminology. It is lack of knowledge (ignorance is a strong word for that)  I think that makes some people Luddites. The thing is, many of the lubrication etc. terms used in the old books are not used now and the products are not available now. I have a large text book dated 1940 that clearly outlines the known serious problems with oil - rapid sludge formation, cannot handle high pressures, major viscosity change with temperature and so on.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

UPDATES FROM LAST NIGHT'S TEAR DOWN.

Got the front timing chain and large sprocket off, you can tell the chain was very loose, this will be replaced with new chain and gears. 

the amount of gunk in the engine is a bit ridiculous, the cam looks good, I am thinking it can be cleaned and re-used but will not make that determination until after I clean it and see how it looks. 

all the Pistons are out now, the bearings look good except one that seems to have a ridge on the bearing on the center, no picture of that yet, but I will get that on Monday. 

the tube that lubes the timing chain is for sure clogged, it may have sprayed some oil out of it but it sure does seam clogged. 

the lifters all look perfect and will be re-used. 

any tips or info, feel free to give opinions. 

20190911_193122.jpg

20190911_195945.jpg

Well, here is the block in all its glory. The cylinder walls are clean and smooth, not issues there. the bearings are smooth with no scoring and can be reused. 

not planning on boring the cylinders over or anything crazy. Really I am going to freshen up, clean and put back together. nothing to crazy. 

20190916_205113.jpg

20190916_205116.jpg

Your instructor will be able to tell you how to measure the crank and bores for wear.

I don't think I have ever been in as deep as this without putting new bearings in, but I guess if everything measures out you should be OK.

One photo shows the flywheel studs are not seated but you probably already knew that.

Does the school have a hot tank?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Your instructor will be able to tell you how to measure the crank and bores for wear.

I don't think I have ever been in as deep as this without putting new bearings in, but I guess if everything measures out you should be OK.

One photo shows the flywheel studs are not seated but you probably already knew that.

I would go ahead and get new bearings. I would never go that far on an engine without doing so.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JACK M said:

The shop does have a hot tank, I plan on soaking/cleaning everything tomorrow afternoon. 

I will measure and probably get new bearings, I want things to work efficiently and be new. 

the rear flywheel bolts are not seated and need to be replaced, some dumb kid put a bar against them to turn the engine and jacked up all the threads, needless to say, it pissed me off, but they are only bolts so they will be replaced also. 

the instructor looked at the bearings and said we might be able to re-use them. but like I said, I will probably replace just to make all new. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UPDATE:  was able to slide hammer out the water jacket in the block which came out in one piece (thankfully). 

I got the engine in the steam washer for the 1st hour to see how it cleans up and it did come out pretty well. 

I will be putting it back in the tank on Monday to clean even more.

ALSO: I did the measurements on the crank, the crank has been turned (.30 under on Main) (.20 on Connecting Rod's). the only issue I have is that finding .30 under main bearings is going to be hard to find I guess. I might have to have the crank turned .40 under spec to be able to get new bearings or deal with putting the engine back with the bearings that were in it which do not seem to have any issues. 

as for the connecting rod's, I will get new bearings and polish the crank so that should be an easy step. 

20190925_210145.jpg

20190925_210150.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I have got the stock piston's and rod's cleaned. put the engine into the hot tank again to try and get the remaining grease and crud off the block. 

The paint has for the most part come off and the water galley's are getting less clogged. 

the pistons are clean and once I get the mic spec's on them and the cylinder walls with a bore gauge, I will decide if I am going to use the pistons again or buy new ones. 

the crank has been turned .40 over and the rod journals are also .40 over. I found bearings from Old Moparts.com and have been buying majority of the things needed for this build from them as they are very helpful. 

the cam bearings have been banged out and I will be putting in new bearings for the stock crank. was going to put a HP cam in but I dont feel this is the type of engine that performance upgrades would really make a difference in, so its getting a refresh and put back together. 

plans: put back together, paint silver, and run it. 

stay tuned. 

20191016_211412.jpg

20191016_211414.jpg

If you want all the crud out of your block, get a pressure washer and blast out the block through the casting/freeze plug openings.  I could not believe what came out of my 48 Plymouth block - two large pails of rust and debris.

i did not shoot the interior of the block with a pressure washer, I did however soak with PB BLASTER/WD40, then put the block in the steam bath, then used air hose to blow out all the holes and I know what you mean, I got a ton of crud out of the block. makes me think how bad the radiator is. it ran cool (not hot) but I am sure there is crud in the radiator that needs to be flushed. 

Fun stuff alright.

I will usually poke around inside the water jackets with a wire coat hanger or the likes along with water pressure. Don't forget to do this to the head as well.

Same with the oil galleys.

16 hours ago, Sactownog said:

i did not shoot the interior of the block with a pressure washer, I did however soak with PB BLASTER/WD40, then put the block in the steam bath, then used air hose to blow out all the holes and I know what you mean, I got a ton of crud out of the block. makes me think how bad the radiator is. it ran cool (not hot) but I am sure there is crud in the radiator that needs to be flushed. 

I had my 29 dodge DA block acid dipped and then sonic tested for wall thickness.

My first block had thin wall between the upper water jacket and valve guide area and couldn’t  continue with the rebuild.

Edited by stakeside
E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

UPDATE: 

Got the new connecting rod bearings in and torqued, need to get them measured to know if I have any problems to attack. 

I know the crank and main bearings will work, I also got the cam bearings out and need to get the new ones in, they will be placed in a freezer prior to instal to help shrink the bearings before being installed. 

little by little this engine is getting put back together (I Hope)

20191021_204528.jpg

• Thanks 1

update: 

got the front lower cross member rivets cut off and got the cross member removed which will make for easier engine install. 

the rear cross member which holds the transmission upper mounts and center sifter has been removed and both will be sand blasted and painted. 

the engine spec's are in tolerance for the main bearings and rod bearings. 

I will start measuring the cylinders for pistons and find out if I can still use the same pistons or if I need to get new pistons. new rings will for sure go in. 

I got a dremmel to take care of the intake and exhaust valves and may open up the ports a bit depending on how I feel.

20191023_204813.jpg

20191023_204816.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, stakeside said:

Do you plan to rebuild the oil pump?

actually, I have seen some guy's rebuild the pump and do some UPDATES to them to make them more efficient, however I can not find the person who does this. it was on instagram and for some reason its been a pain in the A$$ to find that person. so now I am considering purchasing a new pump so that it is brand new and not rebuilt. 

do you have any opinions? I would like a high flow oil pump but have not seen them anywhere.