Sactownog

1933 Dodge DP Six engine question / barn find

Lookin Gooood  !!!!~

17 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Xclnt progress. Do shims go behind the brake back plate?

funny you asked me this, same thing was brought up to me by someone else in another forum on FB. 

There were no shim's behind the backing plates on my axle, I brought this up to Oceanside Drive line who rebuilt the rear end (and will be building the drive line), and they said, its all good and to run it. so I have been restoring all the parts on the car, painting them black, and will have the rear end back in the car this week. 

Then I will be removing the engine for rebuild. 

this is the rear leaf spring, they have covers over them on each side, I have stripped them down with a wire wheel and painted them Gloss black. more pictures coming soon of my rebuild. 

20190707_195643.jpg

• Like 1

got the floor board stripped and painted. check this out. sexy now. just need to decide if I am going to put the board on the bottom for heat or if I am going to line it with something different. either way, until then, here is a picture of the floor board.

20190703_062403.jpg

2 hours ago, Sactownog said:

they have covers over them on each side,

My 1939 Studebaker had them on the front spring. Are those made of tin plated steel? Mine were. Mine had a canvas wrapping on the spring first and they are supposed to be greased using a Lubriclamp to put grease inside the canvas near the ends.

No shims means they made it spot on without them. Xclnt.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

My 1939 Studebaker had them on the front spring. Are those made of tin plated steel? Mine were. Mine had a canvas wrapping on the spring first and they are supposed to be greased using a Lubriclamp to put grease inside the canvas near the ends.

No shims means they made it spot on without them. Xclnt.

regarding shims: that is literally the best way to describe it. I was worried about it, but when the shop said "Run It" I felt better about it. its a pretty light axle built very well. I can lift the whole axle my self in and out of the truck so it makes moving it easy. 

2 minutes ago, Sactownog said:

I can lift the whole axle my self in and out of the truck

I remember when it was like that. Something has changed.... Mine seem to have got heavier over time.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

I remember when it was like that. Something has changed.... Mine seem to have got heavier over time.

yep, currently 37 years old and kind of BUFF. HAHa 

I was pleasantly surprised I could lift it on my own. the engine, not so much tho. 

2 minutes ago, Sactownog said:

the engine, not so much tho.

At 17, I could lift a Fiat 600 engine! Does that count?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

At 17, I could lift a Fiat 600 engine! Does that count?

yes sir it does. I miss the younger me. I do automotive detailing and I can feel it now after a long day of detailing. father time is undefeated. 

ok fellas, so last night I made some good progress on the rear end. got it back underneath the car and mounted to the leaf springs. looks great, all hardware has been painted black and mounted very nice. 

20190710_221341.jpg

• Like 2

NEED TO FIND SHOCK BAR BUSHINGS. the bushing that goes on top and bottom from shock to leaf spring. 

any leads, or are these basic sway bar bushings? 

I used some from a sway bar link kit. See: https://www.ply33.com/Parts/group17#17-27-13

The rods were rusted and worn through on mine so I just got some steel rod stock, cut it to size and then threaded the ends. Instead of the forged shoulder to hold the inner retainers I just used nuts. Most people, including show judges, have never noticed that the setup is not an exact match to the original.