Christmas gift for myself

DAVES89

So after watching Kendall [a top mechanic friend of mine] for years use Snap-on tools I decided to get some for myself. He always uses 1/4" flex head ratchets and intermediate depth sockets whenever possible, so I sprung for my own set. At the price and my age I really don't need them anymore but what the heck.

Anyone else indulge themselves?

You can't go wrong with Snap-on tools. That's a great gift to yourself. Last Christmas I go my self a 42" roll-around toolbox combo. This year I got myself a new Hand vac with Lithium batteries to replace my old one with batteries that won't hold a charge, and I ordered myself a couple of caps from the Reatta Div. with the Reatta logo on the front. Not as good a a set of Snap-on tools but I think that is about all I need. :). The family is getting me some clothes as usual so I'm happy.

7 minutes ago, smithbrother said:

I still have a bunch of Sears Craftsman’s wrenches/sockets from the 60’s, I have to say for the money, they are hard to beat.

Dale in Indy 

That's when I started buying Craftsman, and I agree with you on the quality [at least back then] but I just got a "bug" to get some Snap on tools before I pass and so I thought "Why not now". Snap on tools just lay in your hand right and work great.

So in 10-20 years they will be lightly used and my son in laws can fight over it...

The wrenches I use most are a set of black ones made by Williams. They aren't chrome or anything fancy. Just good solid tools. I like them because they don't slip in oily hands like some of the chrome wrenches do. I also have so set of Craftsmen wrenches that I grab when I need two wrenches of the same size. My sockets and ratchets are a mixture of whatever I could pickup. Mostly Craftsman. A few of my tools are Snap-on that I've picked up here and there.

54 minutes ago, smithbrother said:

I still have a bunch of Sears Craftsman’s wrenches/sockets from the 60’s, I have to say for the money, they are hard to beat.

Dale in Indy 

thats me.i have been buying a lot of harbor freight tools too.they are lifetime garantied and about a mile from my job.they have a rachet that has an adjustable handle length.

My to be bride gave me a Craftsman tool set for Christmas 1960.....don't recall ever needing to replace any.

I love tools and that initial set of tools has morphed into 2 tool chests of tools......the new GearWrench wrenches are very handy

Just saw an interesting ratchet at Tractor Supply......you do not need to turn anything to go from clockwise to counter clockwise,  the handle flexes and does the changing... probably will not work in tight places.

Didn't buy one but there is always next week

39 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

A new Harbor Freight just opened near here. They've started advertising in the local paper. They sell lots of brands I've never heard of but the prices are right. :)

They've been around Portland for a while but are definitely expanding.  After a while you'll get sick of seeing those yellow ads.  You've never heard of the brands because most are Chinese.  It is difficult to find a Made in America symbol anywhere.  I've had mixed results with their electric tools.  Caveat emptor.

• Like 1

I envy seeing a toolbox with matching, high quality tools. After five plus decades of collecting, and losing, tools, my toolbox is a hopeless mixture of brands and quality. My two boys helped me greatly with my tool diversity and the lawnmower may have found a few of them. Mostly Craftsman from the '60's, one partial remains of a set of Proto wrenches, which I miss. The same with screwdrivers and other misc. tools. While I appreciate good tools, and sometimes they are the only thing that will work, I carry an old set of Mastercraft 1/4"-3/8" socket set for junkyard sojourns. I just cannot bring myself to risk higher end tools at that venue. As for H.F., their hand tools are getting better and I have sets of wrenches and sockets for use at my cottage. I totally agree the electric tools, especially the cordless stuff is a crapshoot, as well as abrasives, drill bits etc... Their air tools are so cheap, for occasional use, they can do the job. I remember a ratchet test done by one of the car magazines a few years ago where they tested new and old tools, from several brands, even used Craftsman stuff from rummage sales, The H.F. ratchets actually rated in the upper third of the group, so who knows.

• Like 1

Not Buick or even Reatta related, but today I indulged in the Christmas spirit for myself by trading in my 2010 Lincoln MKZ for a 2014 Cadillac ATS.

First of all let me say that "I Love Tools" I also have Craftsman from back then and have to agree that they were much better than now. Every year it is very difficult not to buy a new tool and not just for Christmas. Many years ago when I worked as a machinist I got a 1/2" drive set of Black Hawk, I am not sure of the quality because they were so shiny that I never used them ... HAHAHA!

This year my wife actually bought me a Creeper seat tool chest with 3-drawers I was surprised, she must know how much I enjoy tools and stuff like that.

Thanks Ronnie!  That mug set looks great and when I get down your way we can each have one for a drink or two.

The ratchet was recommended as a favorite of Kendalls. Regarding that socket set that socket holder has a magnet in it. So not only does it hold the sockets in place it also "anchors" itself to your tool box.

Great idea...

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

That mug set looks great and when I get down your way we can each have one for a drink or two.

Sounds good Dave. I'm sipping a little red wine from one of them right now. Kat says they are too pretty to drink out of but I couldn't resist trying one out to make sure it works. :lol:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2seater said:

As for H.F., their hand tools are getting better and I have sets of wrenches and sockets for use at my cottage. I totally agree the electric tools, especially the cordless stuff is a crapshoot, as well as abrasives, drill bits etc... Their air tools are so cheap, for occasional use, they can do the job. I remember a ratchet test done by one of the car magazines a few years ago where they tested new and old tools, from several brands, even used Craftsman stuff from rummage sales, The H.F. ratchets actually rated in the upper third of the group, so who knows.

i also bought a set of extensions from harbor freight that have locks on them to keep sockets from falling off.

I'm indulging in giving myself lots of tinkering (read: hard labor) to do.  New carpets because if I'm taking out the seats and fixing the splices I might as well replace the carpets, recovering the headliner, more front end parts, interior trim and so on.  I decided my hands weren't sliced up enough during my desk job and my swear jar was just too empty to function.

As a side note, I've been using non-bargain Craftsman sockets and wrenches I've had for 10 or more years and have never had issues.  I think they got a bad rap for the tools they sold at Wally World and other bargain chains when they still had the capacity to make quality tools.  The bonus for me is, if I ever don't have a specific tool, my old man still has my grandfathers New Britain/Snap on stash in his shed that he never touches ripe for the picking.

On 12/25/2017 at 11:07 PM, 2seater said:

I envy seeing a toolbox with matching, high quality tools.

The people I know with tools like that rarely ever use them.  They are just for bragging rights.   :P

Here is what a mechanics toolbox looks like that really uses his tools. Since I'm retired now I'm somewhere in between. :)

toolbox.jpg

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

The people I know with tools like that rarely ever use them.  They are just for bragging rights.   :P

Here is what a mechanics toolbox looks like that really uses his tools. Since I'm retired now I'm somewhere in between. :)

toolbox.jpg

I know both kinds too, although I have seen one working mechanic that actually put stuff away while working on a project. Toolboxes like above will likely have custom made tools too. Like a specially bent wrench, or perhaps shortened, a ground down socket to slide by just right, etc..  I usually wind up with half the contents out of the box in piles around me while working, although I do occasionally have a fit of neatness. I think you are correct that for the most part, the only way to keep things perfect is to not use them. My original 50ish year old Craftsman two drawer looks much like above. I remember browsing through the Craftsman catalog section when they came in the mail, dreaming and making lists of all the stuff I thought I needed, and I guess I still do.:wacko:

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

toolbox.jpg

This is where it's almost like a photo shop. The lower cabinet shown was picked up 2 days ago off Craigslist for $30.00 and the upper was free from the church I belong to. It seems a guy died and his heirs wanted the tools but not the tool box so I got it for free about a month ago. 

I just put this together on Tuesday. I had been working out of two smaller tool boxes and my junkin bag. Still have tools there, but am building another inventory for in the garage.

But thanks for putting me on a pedestal, it's almost like I died and was thought better of... 

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

This is where it's almost like a photo shop. The lower cabinet shown was picked up 2 days ago off Craigslist for $30.00 and the upper was free from the church I belong to. It seems a guy died and his heirs wanted the tools but not the tool box so I got it for free about a month ago. 

I just put this together on Tuesday. I had been working out of two smaller tool boxes and my junkin bag. Still have tools there, but am building another inventory for in the garage.

But thanks for putting me on a pedestal, it's almost like I died and was thought better of... 

Now I recognize that bench which I have helped stain with brake fluid;) Are you really putting tools together at 13*below zero in an unheated garage??? A better man than me Gunga Din.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2seater said:

Now I recognize that bench which I have helped stain with brake fluid;) Are you really putting tools together at 13*below zero in an unheated garage??? A better man than me Gunga Din.

Dave doesn't even think it's cold outside unless your shoes freeze to the ground while you're walking.:lol:  It's 35 degrees here today with sunny skies. That's unusually cold weather for us in December. It's supposed to get down to 14* Monday night. I wouldn't be surprised of they have the kids go in late for school due to cold weather.  :o

4 hours ago, 2seater said:

I know both kinds too, although I have seen one working mechanic that actually put stuff away while working on a project. Toolboxes like above will likely have custom made tools too. Like a specially bent wrench, or perhaps shortened, a ground down socket to slide by just right, etc..  I usually wind up with half the contents out of the box in piles around me while working, although I do occasionally have a fit of neatness. I think you are correct that for the most part, the only way to keep things perfect is to not use them. My original 50ish year old Craftsman two drawer looks much like above. I remember browsing through the Craftsman catalog section when they came in the mail, dreaming and making lists of all the stuff I thought I needed, and I guess I still do.:wacko:

Where I worked we normally would take the time to put our tools back in the toolbox at the end of the shift. The company furnished the (expensive) tools and they liked them to be locked up at night. Machinists weren't allowed to clean up oil or anything on the floors so putting the tools away allowed the laborers to come in on the second shift and clean everything up for the next day. I'm pretty much that way at home about putting my tools away. Old habits are hard to break. 

My first real toolbox was a small off-brand one that my wife got me for our anniversary in 1978. It was a good little box that served me well. Like you, I had always looked at the Sears catalogs and dreamed of getting me one of those big toolboxes but I couldn't  justify spending the money on one while raising a family. Last Christmas I was able to buy myself the box I really wanted back in 1978. Sears had it on sale at a really good price and I couldn't resist getting it. The little red one is still my favorite because my wife bought it for me. I still use it to store bolts, screws and other small parts but that big one sure is a nice place to put my old worn out tools. The only problem is I'm getting too old to want to use the tools anymore. :D

SAM_3979.JPG

• Like 1

I have been to Ronnie's house and I can attest to how neat and clean his garage is. I wish I had that set up. However as my garage is uninsulated I use the space between the studs as "shelving" and can store stuff there. The work bench is a used Vetrenary examination cabinet. There were 3 of them at the ReStore and I should have bought two of them, They are well built and were really cheap.

I'm looking at ebay for some 1/4" Snap on extensions to complete my set...

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Dave doesn't even think it's cold outside unless your shoes freeze to the ground while you're walking.:lol:  It's 35 degrees here today with sunny skies. That's unusually cold weather for us in December. It's supposed to get down to 14* Monday night. I wouldn't be surprised of they have the kids go in late for school due to cold weather.  :o

Dave is tougher than I and even goes junkin' in this weather. Of course legend has it that Minnesotan's from Duluth just button the top button when below 0*F so just laugh at us softies^_^

32 minutes ago, handmedownreatta said:

i didn't even know the rear carpet WAS available.

The rear carpet is not available new. One would have to look at a yard to get one. If the carpet was okay or better I would respray it with a fabric spray.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Where I worked we normally would take the time to put our tools back in the toolbox at the end of the shift. The company furnished the (expensive) tools and they liked them to be locked up at night. Machinists weren't allowed to clean up oil or anything on the floors so putting the tools away allowed the laborers to come in on the second shift and clean everything up for the next day. I'm pretty much that way at home about putting my tools away. Old habits are hard to break.

I too had a similar workplace except we had to supply our own tools or buy them through the company with a discount, so we either put our tools away or they might not be there the next day<_<

Most everyone had Kennedy Boxes and tools or a mix of them and Snap-on, but I couldn't afford such a thing so I made my own out of 1/8" steel and Powder-Coated it Black and put my Craftsman boxes on top of it. Later on I made a wooden box that now sits on top of it in the garage.

IMG_2581.thumb.JPG.296556d9334f293747da6c5729c9579b.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2seater said:

Dave is tougher than I and even goes junkin' in this weather. Of course legend has it that Minnesotan's from Duluth just button the top button when below 0*F so just laugh at us softies^_^

There is a downside to being use to the cold weather. Dave was in Nashville this summer.  I thought it was pretty cool that day and he looked like he was about to melt when we got out in the bright sun. :)

1 hour ago, Frogware said:

Most everyone had Kennedy Boxes and tools or a mix of them and Snap-on, but I couldn't afford such a thing so I made my own out of 1/8" steel and Powder-Coated it Black and put my Craftsman boxes on top of it. Later on I made a wooden box that now sits on top of it in the garage.

That looks good. You can never get enough storage. Before my wife bought me a tool box I had a big wooden school teachers desk in my basement that served as storage for tools in the drawers and the top of it was my workbench. That school teachers desk sure looked funny with a 6" vice mounted on it but I used it for several years until I sold that house.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

There is a downside to being use to the cold weather. Dave was in Nashville this summer.  I thought it was pretty cool that day and he looked like he was about to melt when we got out in the bright sun. :)

That was a hot day for me Ronnie. I remember walking through that park and everytime we would stop to talk I would try to find some shade to stand in. I just don't take heat real well, but I don't really like bitter cold either but if I have a project I want to do, I deal with it.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 7:57 AM, Ronnie said:

toolbox.jpg

I've decided to go "all in" and buy yet a different tool box. The upper shown in this picture is going to what my grand daughters call the "Camper House" and the lower I'm giving to my buddy's nephew who is just starting out and is starting to acquire tools.

What I just got for myself is a used Snap on upper and lower that I found on Craigslist that can hold all the tools I just put in this set up, plus what is in the cabinet barely shown in this picture as well as the battery powered tools I have in the basement. 

For now I'll just put it in the garage and wait until it warms up [to at least 30 degrees] and then rework everything.  

• Like 1