MrEarl

My BUICK SALES and SERVICE GARAGE

Such a great thread Mr Earl!  No wonder you haven't been to the last few Nationals.  The place, the ENTIRE PLACE, looks picture perfect!  I can nail two boards together and all, but really wish I could do your quality type of work.  Looking forward to the next posts!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Such a great thread Mr Earl!  No wonder you haven't been to the last few Nationals.  The place, the ENTIRE PLACE, looks picture perfect!  I can nail two boards together and all, but really wish I could do your quality type of work.  Looking forward to the next posts!

Thanks JD!!! Been seeing the "Likes" you been giving so figured you might be taking your time and catching up. Appreciate that and thanks for the nice comment. Finally got all the leaves raked and some window panes glazed back in in the old barn so hope to get back to catching up on this build. Looks like I'm always behind and trying to catch up.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:23 AM, auburnseeker said:

That's looking pretty good.  I wish I could have gone with the vintage dealership look with mine,  but the town didn't even want me to build what I did.  I figure it's big enough,  I might do a faux street scene at the end inside so I can put my signs up the way they were intended to be, rather than just pasted all over the walls.  It will help protect them as well and give me something to do in the winter out of the weather. 

It must have been nice doing that excavating work.  I think I saw one rock in all the photos.  I can share a few of mine if you need them. 

These were some of the small ones we didn't bury. 

IMG_2528.thumb.JPG.07b7e5b1edebe0dee847c6efbc87e325.JPG

Thanks auburnseeker!! Man them are called landscape rock down here and sell for big bucks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thriller said:

I'm looking forward to Vietnamese beer in May, from a research perspective if nothing else.

You're going to Vietnam? Tip a cold "33" on Red Beach for me. One beer I could never acquire a taste for. Nor Sake.

The Swede took some shots of the landscape while on top of the top most plate.

20150913_095912_zpscyz7cwqs.jpg

Anybody else see the cross here.

20150913_095925_zpsxl2kon8v.jpg

20150913_095930_zpsvtcjqb1p.jpg

20150913_095933_zpsp0kblcen.jpg

IMG_3726_zpsricxi9tg.jpg

Lovers initials carved into the top board.

20150919_104312_zps5u4krao3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

figured you might be taking your time and catching up.

Yes, unlike you lucky guys in the south, my area is frozen in.  People in my area actually have two or more inches of ice in their yards this year.  Lake George, which is one hours drive north of me, and which has had to cancel their ice carnival the last 3 years because the lake had no ice, now has eleven inches of ice this year.  So I am not getting much done except reading by the fire.  Add to that several family issues, with related travels, and it's been a challenging end of 2017 and beginning of 2018.  So I was glad to read up on you and Joel's garage builds.   It's making me think of insulating the Queen's home out back...nah!  :lol:

• Like 2

Next task was to install some 1x4x12' pine wall girts/lathing for attaching corrugated metal to. The local roof metal supplier was far cheaper than Lowes/HD by almost half.

IMG_3799_zpstotxszzj.jpg

IMG_3802_zpsdwca68jl.jpg

Fearless Kowpi

IMG_3819_zpscc7m3iff.jpg

Then came the job of scrubbing down the chicken house siding tin. I use Greased Lightning on the backside for cleaning and disinfecting and a 3 parts water to 1 part Muriatic Acid on the front to clean the discolorations. Some of the tin had been overlapped for years, and the overlapped areas were still shiny bright. The MA helps to dull it so it all looks pretty much the same.

IMG_3803_zps9qq6pepi.jpg

IMG_3817_zpspzij2o7b.jpg

20150916_113017_zps4oeg4epc.jpg

IMG_3843_zpscymx6jen.jpg

IMG_3844_zps89agzaxe.jpg

IMG_3846_zpse11pzbxf.jpg

IMG_3848_zpsgmj3emv1.jpg

IMG_3849_zps1jrijhvh.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MrEarl said:

The Swede took some shots of the landscape while on top of the top most plate.

20150913_095912_zpscyz7cwqs.jpg

Anybody else see the cross here.

20150913_095925_zpsxl2kon8v.jpg

20150913_095930_zpsvtcjqb1p.jpg

20150913_095933_zpsp0kblcen.jpg

IMG_3726_zpsricxi9tg.jpg

Lovers initials carved into the top board.

20150919_104312_zps5u4krao3.jpg

Like the initials. Old or new?:lol:.     The cross is a good omen. I think.

You cause me to sin, Lamar, with envy.  Beautiful place.

Ben

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MrEarl said:

IMG_3846_zpse11pzbxf.jpg

Looks Great Lamar!!!

I guess I should have waited for a few more installments before I posted those comparison pics a few pages back? 

And as always, it look like your "critters" are enjoying watching you work, and even helping you out a little bit some of the time.

• Thanks 1

It does look great!  I don’t know how one goes about creating perspectives and details that are pleasing to the eye but you do it very well and the textures of both old and new give a harmonizing and welcoming feel.  Parity in form and function; elusive to me but recognized and admired nonetheless.

By the way, we both would struggle without our scaffolds but I would have a very difficult time standing atop a three jack scaffold with nothing to hold on to.  And, I wouldn’t be able to take my mind off those scaffold boards “full of knots”.  That’s why I went to the mill and sawed some that were over 2” thick.

When you get a chance, show us how to you tied the front into the roof (the backside of the facade).  Or, maybe I missed it already.

• Like 1

The shot of Kowpi on the scaffolding has me curious.

How the devil did he get up there?

Thinking if he got on the roof of the phrase "Cat on a hot tin roof" <_<

On 1/25/2018 at 10:45 PM, Thriller said:

Agreed. Molson Canadian is pretty poor too...a short step up from Bud though. 

One of of my favourite things is to sample the local beer wherever I go. It's a tough life. 

As Linda and I drive to each ROA event, we always do some research and map out our course to allow us to stop at as many wineries, breweries, and distilleries as possible.  When went to Monterey a few years ago, we decided to fly into LA rather than San Francisco so we could drive through and spend a couple of extra days in the vineyards between  Monterey and LA.  Cal Poly, in San Luis Obispo, was having commencement exercises on the day we were there.  The bars and wineries opened at 6:00 AM that day. ??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RivNut said:

As Linda and I drive to each ROA event, we always do some research and map out our course to allow us to stop at as many wineries, breweries, and distilleries as possible. 

add old Buick dealerships and Botanical gardens to that list and you have my and Rita's   itinerary for when we hit the road with Big Red the Tahoe or Southern Belle the estate wagon with trailer in tow in a few months, the good Lord willing...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

add old Buick dealerships and Botanical gardens to that list and you have my and Rita's   itinerary for when we hit the road with Big Red the Tahoe or Southern Belle the estate wagon with trailer in tow in a few months, the good Lord willing...

You should plan to attend the ROA event in Kansas City this year.  Lots of micro-breweries here plus the big Boulevard Brewing Co.  I can get you a map of the Kansas Winery Trail which would include about 15 to 18  wineries within a 50 mile radius,  And the Union Horse and McCormick distilleries.  Powell Gardens is about 30 miles east of town.

https://powellgardens.org/

\

http://www.unionhorse.com/

https://www.boulevard.com/

http://kansaswinerytrail.com/

http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/p/beer-travel-guides.html

http://mccormickdistilling.com/

And don't forget about the famous Kansas City BBQ.  Way too many to list. But every year there's a "bracket" as in NCAA basketball.  Here's the 2017 results.

2017-KC-BBQ-Bracket-Square-Winner.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JoelsBuicks said:

By the way, we both would struggle without our scaffolds but I would have a very difficult time standing atop a three jack scaffold with nothing to hold on to.  And, I wouldn’t be able to take my mind off those scaffold boards “full of knots”.  That’s why I went to the mill and sawed some that were over 2” thick.

That's why my scaffolding is on wheels with an 8 foot basket 4 wheel drive, an 80 foot reach and a Diesel engine.  

IMG_3822.thumb.JPG.87042b48945c8f37a14599477754d3ad.JPG

• Like 3

Oh wow!  You need to be my neighbor.  The damage I could do with that thing.  I’d even use it to set trusses.  

Seriously speaking, an ambulance ride with an emergency room visit and a couple days in traction would pay for that thing these days.

• Sad 1

The guys I had putting my shell up,  did use it to set a bunch of my 64 foot long 12 foot tall trusses.  It also boomed all the shingles on the roof and plywood.  I think it already paid at least 2/3 of the cost off and I can write it off besides.  Seems like a win win to me.  It felt a lot safer having the guys working out of this than off ladders. 

I still have all my soffit and siding work to do and this will come in handy for that.  The only problem is the foot print it takes up in the garage.  It's 30 foot long by 7 foot 7 inches wide.  Of course I could store a bunch of my tractor attachments under it in the winter to maximize floor space. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2018-01-26 at 9:44 PM, MrEarl said:

You're going to Vietnam? Tip a cold "33" on Red Beach for me. One beer I could never acquire a taste for. Nor Sake.

I'd have to look up Red Beach. We fly into Hanoi, spend a night on Halong Bay, Hoi An, and wind up in Saigon. It's going down o be a blast. That said, we are going under very different circumstances than you did. Another experience to add to the list along with the papal audience during Holy Week 2017. 

On 1/27/2018 at 10:00 AM, JoelsBuicks said:

It does look great!  I don’t know how one goes about creating perspectives and details that are pleasing to the eye but you do it very well and the textures of both old and new give a harmonizing and welcoming feel.  Parity in form and function; elusive to me but recognized and admired nonetheless.

When you get a chance, show us how to you tied the front into the roof (the backside of the facade).  Or, maybe I missed it already.

Yea, I somewhat stayed toward and more or less hugged the wall most of the time I was on that top most scaffold. The 2" thickness would give you the strength to use individual boards I suspect. I spliced my 2x12's together which provided much more rigidity and not much flex and bounce, which yea, would be scary with knotty pine boards. However that made moving the wood platforms from one level a hell of a job and probably the most dangerous in the way of loosing balance. I'll be putting them all back together again once I start installing the insulation, wiring and tin in the ceiling of the back part of the building in the vaulted ceiling area. I am not looking forward to that and will likely enlist some help.  

On 1/27/2018 at 10:08 AM, dei said:

The shot of Kowpi on the scaffolding has me curious.

How the devil did he get up there?

Thinking if he got on the roof of the phrase "Cat on a hot tin roof" <_<

"she' climbed a ladder, how else. :D

Cat on a cold tin roof. and an emu

D9B65975-8643-4081-A981-728568CC027E.jpeg

1FBDB020-43FD-4E92-98AB-7BCD1A8193D4.jpeg

I have no idea how she gets on this roof though and I have seen her on the 10/12 roof you see above her here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm going to guess the birds are really nervous when they can't see Kowpi!

That is just a scream seeing her like that! :D

My soon to be 17 year old girl is getting too lazy to be that adventurous now but good company at the end of the day.

5a6e7eba51615_Tiger-January122018-pic2.thumb.JPG.3d28cdd67688c817cc51a484e6cd5e43.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thriller said:

I'd have to look up Red Beach. We fly into Hanoi, spend a night on Halong Bay, Hoi An, and wind up in Saigon. It's going down o be a blast. That said, we are going under very different circumstances than you did. Another experience to add to the list along with the papal audience during Holy Week 2017. 

Not far from Da Nang. As I was in Motor Transport, we loaded deuce and a half's  (no relation to the Buick deuce and a quarters) and 5 tons (both troop and supply carrying trucks) onto LCU's and made a beach landing to carry supplies into Da Nang. Quick trip in and quicker trip back. That was my extent of Nam duty which gave me the right to wear the Vietnam medal of which I never did, as I never thought I truly earned it. It was also the beach of one of if not the first Marine beach landings early in the war. Try to visit it, I hear there are now some nice hotels and spas there now. Tha's all I have to say about that.   

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2018 at 10:00 AM, JoelsBuicks said:

You don't miss much of anything sir.  ;)

Tying the back side of the facade into the roof was a bit tricky but somewhat fun. Flashing over the ribbed tin with one of the ribs acting as somewhat of a water stop helped. Used sealant tape between the top of the roof tin rib and the flashing.  Lot of measuring and cutting of tin into angled pieces.  I also put a few vents in up high to help draw some of the heat out of the attic that will be formed over the front office area. Did this work from the 5/12 roof top with the tin being still a bit slippery from the oil used in making it. The Swede,  who is much smaller than I was a tremendous help here.

ADA4FD80-3D0D-4829-B760-DE51C7858E2B.jpeg

• Like 4

time to build a frame for the front windows

IMG_3898_zps5fr2kgby.jpg

IMG_3900_zpslmkmdpts.jpg

The salvaged window sashes were installed temporarily

IMG_3905_zps3fddrxir.jpg

IMG_3910_zpstpnmxvie.jpg

then took down and completely re-glazed. Very tedious and time consuming. 72 lights in all. Like most things, by the time you finally get good at it, you're done

IMG_3926_zpsdaiwckq1.jpg

IMG_3924_zpshulr8tki.jpg

IMG_3927_zpsq6feojus.jpg

Then build a pine frame around and install the Habitat For Humanity $25 front door. Regrettably they didn't have it in my year. VERY well constructed door, heavy, solid and good condition, should serve well. 

IMG_3912_zps3ytjjlpw.jpg

• Like 3

My sweet Reet cleaning the finished windows and blowing me a kiss, she's gotta love me...

IMG_4921_zps4ehenoe9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And speaking of my sweet Rita, we had a night on the town last night and went to see one of my favorite bluegrass groups, the Del McCoury Band at the Georgia Theater in Athens.  One of his songs sort of fits here so I recorded and put it on YouTube to share with y'all. Not the best sound quality mind ya. I'm Workin on a Building   Ol'  Del is 79 years old and still puts on one helluva show.

9023ED03-3CDE-47CF-8D37-2C8E5CE39762.jpeg

Next came installing some more of that high dollar cedar 2x trim around the doors and windows. We built our house back in '87 totally out of western red cedar and I could tell so much difference in it and this fast growth cedar I was putting up now. Will definitely need to keep it sealed over the years.

IMG_3953_zpsuuqdfajx.jpg

Thinking ahead a bit, I realized I would need some brackets to hold up the front awning and would need something more substantial than the siding to support the brackets. After adding some structural 2x10 pines on the inside between the studs (failed to get pics of them though) I nailed and bolted these 2x8 pieces of cedar to the 2x10's. The brackets will actually be attached all the way through the 2x8 cedar and into the 2x10's when installed.

IMG_3954_zpsxb4mpgik.jpg

When I went looking for material for siding, I looked into southern long leaf pine, cedar and cypress. Cypress was my choice as it is so rot and insect resistant. Carpenter bees have given me fits over the years in boring into the Cedar siding and trim of our house. I was told by someone with a cypress sided house that they do not bother it. So I started looking for cypress and much to my dismay could not find it locally nor within a days travel. And the cost where I did find it was way out of my budget. One day while looking through CL I found an ad for "8 inch beveled cypress siding, approximately 500 sq ft. Cut approximately 40 years ago and stored in sawmill shed since" Called and it was priced way cheaper than new beveled cedar so told the guy I would be there in 30 minutes. I arrived and took one look at it and could not believe my eyes. It was some of the most beautiful lumber, very few knots, and had been cut with a large circular saw blade. He said it had been sticked and under the shed since before the sawmill closed some 30 years ago. He was starting the sawing operation back up and needed it out of the way. I quickly obliged. Thanks you Jesus, thank you Lauwad.

IMG_3967_zpsdonlj4e1.jpg

IMG_3970_zpsbbhyzhxg.jpg

Wetted some of it down to see what it would look like after sealing.

IMG_3956_zpsuu8hyh1f.jpg

IMG_3957_zpselpgg9lu.jpg

IMG_3979_zpsxyq92zjx.jpg

I love the circular saw blade marks

IMG_3975_zps9piwwc2r.jpgIMG_3988_zps4ykto2r8.jpg

IMG_3991_zpscsexf9bq.jpg

• Like 6