My Retro 1930's BUICK SALES and SERVICE GARAGE

I had a super nice 50's Fridge,  A smaller one, in excellent shape on the finished off porch of my old house I bought.  Owned by a little old lasdy and still looked new.  I didn't really hagve a use for it.  Dad took it and put it out under his porch,  Kind of exposed to the weather and it got kind of rusty after a while then finally quit,  but boy it would cool just like yours until then.  Kind of wish I had it now.  I have an old round top Coke machine someone made into a fridge.  I might just have to hook that up and get it going when I get the shop finished.  I would probably have more "friends" Stopping by if they knew I had a cold beverage on hand.  The BYOB doesn't work so well.  LOL

The International Harvester refrigerator my parents bought to keep my milk cold when I was born in 1950 is in my other barn and still runs perfect. 

Spent the day cutting 42 8’4”, 14 7’ 8”, 14 4’4” and 14 3’ 4” pieces of tin while Wonder Boy worked on roughing in more electrical. 

5BF0A421-8526-410E-A7E4-CDBF59AC3A9D.jpeg

Ha, I see the safety glasses aren’t very visible on here. Nor were they on the work site, I stepped on them no less than 3 times?

0114E9D3-167C-4759-8215-7C29CF3889B1.jpeg

The waste pile

680F48A8-EB51-485D-A2D8-E75DC407F0D9.jpeg

• Like 3

looks like we were both cutting metal today.  I figured out that drip edge problem. Check out my build later.  I'll post what I came up with.  Your metal pieces are alot bigger though and going to cover alot more area than mine when they are done.  Looks like you are way ahead on the race to the finish as usual.

• Like 1

Is that metal handed?  I suppose the edge lap has to be just like it was or else you’ll see stripes.  Wasting the non-rusted part of the sheet - oh what have we come to?  What will you use to fasten these sheets - fresh galvanized screws isn’t the look you’re looking for.

Looks like you have a diverse fan club.  I have some myself and here this time a year, they’re good for hot air!  Here in Oklahoma we use those old heavy refrigerators either in the front yard or on the front porch. We grab our camcorders and hide behind them when tornadoes come.

It’s all looking good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We bought out house from a roofer whose Employees spilled so many roofing nails around the property,  that I literally filled a half a 5 gallon pail running the magnet over the property (there are still more to find if one wants to look). Unfortunately I threw them all out,  they were mostly nicely rusted and would have been the perfect hardware to attach those sheets.  Some were even still in strips from the roofing nailer.  )

If I had only known,  I could have shipped them down to you. 

On 6/25/2018 at 11:35 PM, JoelsBuicks said:

What will you use to fasten these sheets - fresh galvanized screws isn’t the look you’re looking fo

Actually they give it a nice industrial look me thinks. What you think? 

Got up a few sheets yesterday.  I typically run the screws in lining up by eye on roof tops as folks in airplanes can’t discern their alignment but in this case well..... Pre marking each sheet for screw placement then hanging was a pita. because of all the staggards the marks were always a half inch or so off from one row to the other.Ran string  from end to end and threaded the tin between the string and trusses lined the screws by the string , easy going and screws dead in line. 

Tha’s Wonder Boy taking his  five minute afternoon break

A885805D-9BC0-4D34-9E39-3002A8474282.jpeg

A286D69C-D688-4F4A-97E7-87705468FF6D.jpeg

BA6C234B-16AC-4E47-B74E-744EB940C927.jpeg

9A434D2A-4848-4BF0-842A-5D916FDD2293.jpeg

• Like 5

That string idea worked well.  I might have to borrow that if I ever get to the inside. 

I might even finish my windows today.  I burned up a 50 foot roll of flashing to wrap six 1/2 windows and there is very little waste. I'll be glad when they are done.  Thanks for the drip edge idea :( They will look good when done though. 

The rusted tin makes yours look like an old timey roof on the inside with no insulation like in the old days. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 7:22 AM, MrEarl said:

Actually they give it a nice industrial look me thinks. What you think? 

I think it is an effective way to show that straight, square, and clean will look good, regardless of what you screw up ?.  I noticed that you pulled the electrical out in the middle of the flat of the sheet which is a clever thing to do.  It will be interesting to see how you throw light on this ceiling.

The reuse of this highly patina’d metal fits well with the walls and awnings because it seems to have a natural old and weathered look.  I’m not so sold on its ceiling application because I’d never expect to see it that way naturally. So, I would have turned all that metal upside down and showed off that flecky galvanized backside. Then, I’d nailed 1x4’s to the bottom of that so that it looks like the underside of a roof that is magically supported without trusses and rafters.  Then, I’d use lights that accented the whole thing.  Then, I’d sit back and laugh about it and tell people that it could come crashing down at any moment.

That’s what I think!  See why I don’t do things like this?

keep the pics coming!

• Haha 3

Just wait, he's not done.  I'm thinking he's going to do some faux supports and rafters out of weathered wood.  Give the man time. He has me beet.  I'm still wrapping 6 windows in metal and seesm to have been a week since I started doing that.  I bent cut and bent 72 pieces of flashing.  Most have 3 bends.  Some have 5 or 6. 

Hopefully today I'll get them wrapped up if the heat doesn't do me in. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 10:46 AM, JoelsBuicks said:

So, I would have turned all that metal upside down and showed off that flecky galvanized backside. Then, I’d nailed 1x4’s to the bottom of that so that it looks like the underside of a roof that is magically supported without trusses and rafters. 

Actually considered it Joel! But the underside was just so blah gray plus getting the shadowed ares left by the previous perlins to all line up would not have been easy. ? ?

On 6/29/2018 at 11:27 AM, auburnseeker said:

Just wait, he's not done.  I'm thinking he's going to do some faux supports and rafters out of weathered wood.  Give the man time.

Upon completion of the ceiling, Boy Wonder, with an already crick in the neck, asked what’s next. I described the scenario you spelled out and his eyes got bigger and bigger as I spoke. I told him I was only kidding and he remarked he thought maybe so but that with me you can never tell what I might try. He has gotten to know me well over the last 3 weeks working with me. He heads back to school at Atlanta Art Institute next week and I will miss him not to mention the awesome productivity of four hands instead of two. We have had a great time working together. I lost about 10 pounds from sweating in the attic installing insulation, climbing scaffolding and just being extremely mobile 8-10 hours a day in temps in the mid nineties. Each day required a change of sweat soaked clothes at noon. 923C4BE6-68FE-4B6F-B061-40E36AAE8DB9.jpeg

C6A2886A-CC5F-464F-80FE-99798151BB93.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

By the way Joel, I figured you would suggest some sort of accent lighting so I installed electrical boxes in the interior gabel on the office end for 400w floods that will shine back onto the ceiling above the standard barn lights. I have also decided to use different length stems on the barn lights that will have them all on the same 13’ high level and thus not breaking up the view of the ceiling. 

Ceiling and associated trim complete and Southern Belle moved back inside. 

2CFA0C58-920A-4A9A-97B9-11DD50751D23.jpeg

70582F3A-90A3-4141-B987-0B2428D04B0A.jpeg

Changing gears and starting the build of the pole barn for the Argosy which to keep this Buick related will be pulled periodically by the Estate Wagon. The Argosy has been being kept on Buick Pond near a large twin oak under which it could be hastily pull under in case of a hail storm 

CC4E8560-FE78-4F8B-9D06-F76A917B5165.jpeg

66BAAEF4-E671-42DC-8D38-C00B059B27F2.jpeg

7F99FBFE-47E3-40A0-9896-D8823ACFDE0A.jpeg

FB6EE296-3597-4C60-912D-7B7135707B37.jpeg

• Like 9

Oh my!  Another building.  Looks like you’re a couple 2x10’s away from setting the trusses.  Admit it, you covered the trusses so that they’d retain that fresh color?  And I suppose you have some more chicken house sheet iron for the walls.  Actually it looks like a lot of fun and it should all go up quickly.

That’s a beautiful place and I’m sure it takes a lot of effort to keep it that way.

Nice to get things checked off the check list.

My wife complains we never needed a garage like the one I'm building,  but the other day when it started to rain and was humid as can be so she didn't want to put her hot car in the cool basement garage,  she came rolling over to the big shop to park it inside.  Of course I had to stop in the middle of my varnishing project and move the saw horses so she could pull in.   Didn't seem to mind it too much then.  She parked in there the other night as well to keep from heating up the cool basement in this hot spell. 

On 7/6/2018 at 9:38 AM, JoelsBuicks said:

Admit it, you covered the trusses so that they’d retain that fresh color?

Covered to keep dry man, suckers are gonna be heavy enough as the are. ?

Band done (except for through bolts) half the truss saddles in and 72 80# bags of Sacrete mixed in a wheelbarrow and dumped in the post holes. Oh my aching back

C857CB1A-6298-4EAF-8BC6-6A4E54607EBE.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrEarl said:

64 ft ? !!!!! Mine are only 16 with 2’ overhang. Hoping to carry one side up at a time, (turned upside down) on 12’ ladder then flip them upright and over into the saddles. So come on down!!!

See if we all lived in the same neighborhood it would make life easy wouldn't it?  We could probably even boom them up with the excavator.  I've got some framing to do today to get my upper windows in.  Would be nice to even have someone hand me the boards up from down below. 

If I can finagle some help I’ll probably walk them up the ladders erect and sit them in the saddles, that would be the preferred and safer way. What’s great about the saddles is they hold them upright til they can be consecutively plumbed and joined together with the purlins. I sure miss Wonderboy. 

Those look like my Piggy back trusses. 

Framing in my upper windows today. One side was stuff in the way all the way across. including units of lumber so I really couldn't get the ladder where it needed to be, as well as some Plywood in the openings that somehow got overlapped so trimming that has been a task.  I finally decided the chainsaw wheel on my grinder did the trick best.  This other side should go quicker as there isn't much to move except a pool table.  (don't ask) .

Looks like you should have those trusses up by this evening. 

I guess we are all suppose to go over to Buick gardens  for a roofing party tomorrow?

KC’s right, it’s looking good and a big milestone in labor having these trusses up.   Those saddles are very effective for attempting this yourself. I’ve been watching these pics and each one has another brace or two knocked off; you’re probably using them for more bracing.  How will you frame in a door or will you?

No doors. In fact I am only running salvage corrugated tin, same as is on BS&SG, in the gables and 4 ft down on the sides. Speaking of braces, I plan on using 4x6 as Y bracing on each post. That along with the runs of 2x4  girts with tin will be the extent of bracing. Should have installed the Y's before the trusses but had an offer of help on the trusses so thought better to delay the braces.

10 hours ago, billbuickgs said:

MR EARL ,

You are a craftsman ! I would love to be your neighbor just to look at those buildings !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Thanks Bill! Well come on down, I have 3 acres back behind this build I’ll sell ya. And for you, comes with Buick Sales and Service Garage full use privileges. ?

• Haha 1

53FD5ABE-DA5C-4B12-95E4-5E49DB9D81BB.jpeg

and as the sun sets on Buick Sales and Service Oil and Lube shed.... topped off post holes and moved excess material to low end hoping it will be enough to level it up. Still have a small pile of top soil left from the grading for BS&S  that just  happens to be at the end of this shed for topping over the red clay.  Thank ya Jesus, thank ya Lord

DBED7B68-B5D5-4F56-8D9E-665B5327D4E4.jpeg

6C3C4452-BA7A-49F2-8BE6-B48C57567AD0.jpeg

EDA2C8B2-CD07-4C77-905D-147D419A68C9.jpeg

807CA505-8D66-474B-ABC1-360D7EC1DE35.jpeg

• Like 3

So smart to add that eave length combined with that 4ft drop on the side iron.  Drips and runoff will be well out of the way and the wind controlled up high.

If I had your tin and you had my sawmill lumber, we could darn near build this for nothin!

9 hours ago, JoelsBuicks said:

So smart to add that eave length combined with that 4ft drop on the side iron.  Drips and runoff will be well out of the way and the wind controlled up high.

Hopefully you're right. I want to allow good circulation of air around the Airstream but keep the rain and maybe a few leaves out. Because the building faces the south though,  I may look at a roll up shade cloth for the front.

9 hours ago, JoelsBuicks said:

If I had your tin and you had my sawmill lumber, we could darn near build this for nothin! 

I once considered buying a sawmill but Rita said no. That I would turn every tree on the property into a building of some sort. I hate it when she is always right!

OK time to go shovel more red Georgia clay. If I can get out of bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My back complained about shoveling this morning so tore down and moved scaffolding to building and installed a couple of braces. Pulled the front two purlins off and backed them up temporarily. Going to try a different way of installing the tin on the gables hopefully starting tomorrow. Stand by...

030D9869-9BB2-43E1-A50E-BB2041651DEC.jpeg

A88A0FC1-064A-4F38-8B6B-C8465B586D07.jpeg

and a birdseye view from the rooftop 

8B5139F3-9249-434D-ADD4-25FB54B7DD36.jpeg

• Like 3