My Retro 1930's BUICK SALES and SERVICE GARAGE

1 hour ago, 39BuickEight said:

I was just thinking this place needs some ornamental double loop fence from Australia :D

:lol: Ha ha, you got it Billy! It will be expensive but is sort of a consolation for having to fence Buick Gardens in and for all the hard work Rita and I are doing to get it done. Reet has been a champ and a big help with it, I'm tellin ya!!!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, 50jetback said:

And maybe a H V McKay SUNSHINE cattle gate?

H V McKay SUNSHINE 002.JPG

H V McKay SUNSHINE 003.JPG

Oh crap, don't give me any ideas!!!!!   Tha's gorgeous!!!!   What, turn of the century. Is it dated?  Go ahead and pack it in with the fence, let me know additional shipping cost.   :lol:

Do you have a picture of that double loop ornamental fence?  Hurricane  Harvey flopped a tree on mine and the original source is gone.  I have it scabbed together for now, but would like something like the original to replace all.

3 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Do you have a picture of that double loop ornamental fence?  Hurricane  Harvey flopped a tree on mine and the original source is gone.  I have it scabbed together for now, but would like something like the original to replace all.

Last report is that the plant in AU is retooling their machines to make the fence with the lower loops. I will be getting some of the first produced. It may actually be a bit heavier at 8 gauge, than the older fence that was sold by Hutchinson.  Only two places in the US carry it now, that I could find, and this place delivers at no cost. 

Be sitting down when you look at the prices.

http://www.americanironfence.com/duloorwife.html

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Last report is that the plant in AU is retooling their machines to make the fence with the lower loops. I will be getting some of the first produced. It may actually be a bit heavier at 8 gauge, than the older fence that was sold by Hutchinson.  Only two places in the US carry it now, that I could find, and this place delivers at no cost. 

Be sitting down when you look at the prices.

http://www.americanironfence.com/duloorwife.html

I found and declined some used sections that were more expensive.

enough jibber jabber and the sun is coming out so need to get going. Le's see where was I...

oh yea, plantin posts

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

real convenient center line asphalt joint to pull from for a perfect radius  

IMG_0835.JPG

QUITIN TIME

IMG_0839.JPGIMG_0840.JPG

Tools of the trade, plumb bob and  4 ft level for plumb, 2x2 measuring and tamping stick for tightening up loose fill then 2x4 for compaction in 4 inch lifts. Beer and wine for reducing worry about any appreciable error.

IMG_0847.JPG

• Like 5

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

I planted these magnolia trees some 30 years ago 5 ft off the property line. I didn't have the heart to cut into them on the adjoining property owners side so came on my side of them and clipped them back.

IMG_1184.JPG

a few rock still remain...for character, ya know...

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

• Like 4

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

The Lord was truly with us through out.  We only hit quartz rock and mica in one hole then large sandstone in another but was able to chisel through each. As we were pulling the last run of fence the tractor developed a wheel seal leak and started loosing hydraulic oil. So thank ya Jesus, thank ya Lord.

IMG_1024.JPG

71B534FD-8031-4E9C-8969-361A8C35F62B.jpeg

I truly fear it is going to break his spirit.   :(    Hopefully doing it in phases will help him adjust. He already misses his buddies who use to come up every morning and play but haven't yet figured out they can still get in.

IMG_1085.JPG

• Like 4

On 5/16/2018 at 10:22 PM, MrEarl said:

You're right, it NEVER ends. While waiting on the fence from AU, I've already started hauling mulch from piles that just happened to be in the way of where I will be building the pole barn for the Airstream we just brought home.

7FB2AED7-79D9-4DB6-9587-D427BD625C89.jpeg

473C414A-199C-4730-94B8-DDD458FB372A.jpeg

Now you just need a 1954 Century Estate Wagon to pull said Airstream.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:22 PM, MrEarl said:

You're right, it NEVER ends. While waiting on the fence from AU, I've already started hauling mulch from piles that just happened to be in the way of where I will be building the pole barn for the Airstream we just brought home.

7FB2AED7-79D9-4DB6-9587-D427BD625C89.jpeg

473C414A-199C-4730-94B8-DDD458FB372A.jpeg

Now you just need a 1954 Century Estate Wagon to pull said Airstream.

Too bad you didn’t strike oil, it would’ve turned this into a party!  But it looks like you did it in style; straight when needed and perfectly rounded when required.  I think your term of “appreciable error” is a bit of an oxymoron but we all know what it means.

The only thing worse than post hole diggers is two post hole diggers.  I’m pretty sure those aren’t his and hers.  I just love the look and lay of the land there, it’s all so nicely done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bing and the Andrews Sisters did a nice version of that tune as well. 

I love the film, Lamar!  All done with talent and camera angle.  No special effects there.

Poor Elvis, he just gets too social for the neighbors' liking!

Are you bringing him to Denver?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally jumped back in the BS&S and knocked out this wall today. Half the day was spent massaging the bottom truss cord into a strait line then built the wall in two sections, stood them up and nailed the top plate to the truss and glued and Hilti nailed the bottom plate to the floor. Was a good day.

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2108.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2109.JPG

• Like 7

It’s nice to see you back in the BS&S.  I see that the top of your wall is higher than the bottom of the truss chord. You must be planning a drop ceiling forward of that point.

Also, you must be planning something interesting for covering that wall on the side with the vaulted ceiling, as the wall isn’t flush with that side of the truss.  So it’s likely repurposed siding wood up to the truss and tin above that point?  

Will there be an intercepting wall at the point of that double stud?  If not, what’s that for?  Seems I recall you were going to have some storage up there or am I getting this mixed up.

Love those random white petunias.  It all looks great.

7 hours ago, JoelsBuicks said:

I see that the top of your wall is higher than the bottom of the truss chord. You must be planning a drop ceiling forward of that point. 

I'll just add a nailer to the top at the same level as the other bottom truss cords and still not sure what material will be used. I have enough painted chippy bead board but am looking for some pressed tin to maybe run along the the two center trusses. Tha's way down the road though.

So it’s likely repurposed siding wood up to the truss and tin above that point?  

Precisely!! :)

Will there be an intercepting wall at the point of that double stud?  If not, what’s that for?  Seems I recall you were going to have some storage up there or am I getting this mixed up.

Tha's just the joint of the two wall sections.  I opted to build it in two sections and also to add the door framing and headers after erection to save weight. The wall height dimension was a few inches greater than the width of the room so not enough room to build on the side of the truss it went on. Had to raise the wall to the outside of the truss then pull the bottom back enough so the top would go under the truss then raise it back back up when on the other side. Then raise the whole thing up onto the treated pine I had nailed and glued to the floor. A real nut dropper that was!!!   My original plan was for the wall to be on the other side of the truss but in measuring and trying to plan the fitment of the old doors as wall panel it came out closer to reduce it by the 3.5 inches.

Love those random white petunias.  It all looks great.

THANKS man. Actually the tunias are shades of purple, lavenderish and white, just show up as white in the picture. They all came up on their own from seeds from the ones planted in the grease bucket last year. The river pebble makes for a great growing medium for petunias evidently.

Shootin to get the door framing in and build the other wall today.

oh and you had mentioned storage up top in that area. I thought about it, laughed about it and forgot about it. Hell I got enough buildings already for storage plus I need to start cleaning some of them out. I am still up in the air about what to do about heat and air. I had planned on a couple through the wall AC's and electric ceiling mount heaters in the back and a combination heat ac unit up front.  That ceiling would be a good place for a heat exchange unit wouldn't it. Would have to sell another B to afford that though. :(

9 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Oh come on just sell one of those Buicks.  You will be like me.  By the time I finish my garage,  there will be nothing left to put in it except the equipment I used to build it. 

:rolleyes::lol:  tha's about the size of it. and too old and wore out to work on any cars that might be left :(

• Haha 1

Got the double door framed and another wall with window up today. The window will be looking out over the hood of the ‘38.  Starting on installing purlins for attaching the tin to the ceiling tomorrow. Not looking forward to that. 

1ABC80CD-DFE0-47E7-85A7-23E3AE884060.jpeg

B0B2F7E2-2EB9-4229-A308-010B419E1082.jpeg

36201889-2CF1-495A-8178-E92A5C4EC3C6.jpeg1F4151E8-0340-4259-9B45-A89839E50C4C.jpeg9B9DE12F-3C2E-4347-88E3-56A7C0F847DC.jpeg

• Like 7

I have that same engine crane.  Rescued it and an old round top Coke Machine from a 1940's Garage/ gas station they were tearing down.  I think I gave 25.00 for the Coke machine and I don't recall if it was the same price for the crane or if they just gave that to us as no one else wanted it.  

I cleaned it all up painted and pinstriped it.   My Dad is getting anxious for me to get a floor poured in my shop,  so he can bring it down and get it out of his,  where it's been for the last almost 30 years.  I think he is going to have a truck load of stuff to bring down when the time comes,  including that Coke machine I still have.

Ironically I use to ride by that station on the School bus as a kid every day (it was pretty much Abandoned then) and always wanted that Coke Machine.  Always thought it would be neat to buy the station to keep my old cars in.  I didn't realize the roof on the back side had been shot for years and the building was in really poor shape. 

• Like 2

Trudging along. Adding the 1x4 lathing then blue board then 13R insulation.  Must be 15* hotter in the ceiling than on the floor. Hate to think what it would be if it wasn't for the 1" blueboard between the purlins under the tin.

Got a helper this week so hope to knock out the ceiling insulation.

F8FE0ED9-1D14-4E00-BB5A-2BF0D4C6C38B.jpeg

564355C8-8FDF-4E59-A56F-33E1F0BDC14C.jpeg

IMG_2207.JPG

• Like 5

Any progress is progress none the less.  

Not envying you insulating in the hot weather.  I hate doing it hot or cold, but cold you can bundle up a bit when dealing with batten type insulation.

I managed to get one door in Yesterday,  but besides being a tad under the weather,  did prep the other openings and found a perfect match in Rustoleum Hunter green to that Pella Green the windows are.  Works out well as I can't match a flashing to it to wrap my windows, even going through a local contractor,  so I'm going to respray the green flashing I can buy,  with that same green after I bend all the caps. It will also let me get a good match on the metal doors I have to paint. 

• Like 1

There’s good and bad days for doing insulation; a bad day if you have to do it yourself and a good day if someone else does it!  Seriously though, it wasn’t the hat bad last time I did it.

Mr. Earl I suppose you have all the wiring, etc. installed up there because it looks like you’re about to close it up.  This is where I go crazy thinking about all the crap I might someday want to run up there. I’d probably be installing a 2” pvc conduit or two - just in case.

This kind of work provides a lot of noticeable progress quickly.  Do I recall that you were putting in ceiling fans?

Be safe up there!  We don’t heal like we used to.

Edited by JoelsBuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 2

So if we were all neighbors building these garages in the same time and decided to work share.  Would they realistically get done quicker?  Would it take longer because of too many people adding what if's or in the end would it take just as long to get the three done,  because we would have to alternate between the three jobs equally? 

I know my wife would be happier if we were,  because it would mean she wouldn't get suckered into helping me.  

Her excuse is I can't do that,  I'm just a girl.   Usually while I'm making her do that,  such as helping me lift the 36 doors into place like we did today. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Auburn that’s an intriguing question you ask.  My opinion is that in an ideal world we would build them together quicker because we would be committed to each other, not to mention the several jobs that almost require two people to be reasonably done at all. 

But our world is not ideal.  Life offers to us so many distractions to the extent that rare would be the time we would all be working together for any length of predictable time.  

I will say this though,  when you and a talented friend are able to gang up on a project, it can be a very enjoyable time and it leaves you wishing for more of those moments.

It may seem odd, but knowing I have friends here watching my project, inspires me to think creatively and hold the course.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JoelsBuicks said:

Mr. Earl I suppose you have all the wiring, etc. installed up there because it looks like you’re about to close it up.  This is where I go crazy thinking about all the crap I might someday want to run up there. I’d probably be installing a 2” pvc conduit or two - just in case. 

Jeeze, just got home from Lowes and reading this. Guess what I bought!! 30 ft of 2" conduit and a ball of 25lb nylon masonry string to run through it. Will be running it down one of the truss braces. mental telepathy, maybe? :)  I will actually be running the ceiling wiring along the bottom of the bottom truss, next to some of the 1x4 lathing. There will be a lot of wiring in the over head of the office area where it will feed through to the other side of the garage and the ceiling.

10 hours ago, JoelsBuicks said:

Do I recall that you were putting in ceiling fans?

An old early 1900's Century one in the office and and still on the fence about the ones in the garage. May opt for a couple of attic type fans in the common wall over the office/garage area pulling cool shade tree air from the back garage doors.

1 hour ago, JoelsBuicks said:

I will say this though,  when you and a talented friend are able to gang up on a project, it can be a very enjoyable time and it leaves you wishing for more of those moments.

It may seem odd, but knowing I have friends here watching my project, inspires me to think creatively and hold the course.

This is pretty much the first time I have had hired help and he is the 23 year old son of a good friend and I have been amazed at how quick he learns and is forever thinking right along with me and also ahead. It does make for a more enjoyable day, seeing him learn and proud of what we get done in a day.

1 hour ago, JoelsBuicks said:

Not odd at all, in fact it's partly why I started this forum, I knew I enjoyed sharing my projects and thought surely there would be others. So glad to see you here and always look forward to your next post!!! Goes for your thread too auburnseeker. By the way... what is your name anyway auburnseeker? :) By the way, I think that would be a great idea, us joining forces and helping work on each others build. But uhhh, I'd like to be first host.?

anyhow here's a few shots of what went on today in the Buick Sales and Service Garage

Lot's of labor in handling and cleaning the 1" foam boards. Spray down with light mixture of Clorox and water then hose off with high pressure hose to get all the dust and rat pills off. Takes a couple hours in the sun to dry before installing

BB343776-C9F4-49CC-8088-AFA0A35BFCB7.jpeg

A153449D-84DA-4108-8A2F-8DCF027F1E04.jpeg

BFDC0AB7-E530-4AB7-A5B8-74CEECC2E814.jpeg

Finished the east side ceiling and moved Tugaloo to the other side of the barn.

BD13A6C5-A7EB-4209-B1C1-376DE2FD4D43.jpeg

Ready to start the west side

ACDC71EF-B41B-4499-92B1-CE093C40782C.jpeg

• Like 3

The one furthest from completion gets first work. ;)  Wouldn't want to get yours all done, then  you all not wanting to come over and help any more because you will finally have some free time to actually work on those cars we have all put on the back burner to finish our palaces. 

just kidding.  

The name by the way is Randy.   But call me whatever you want everyone else does,  and sometimes it's not always flattering. :)

Now Randy, do you really think we would do that to a partner in crime here? I would think the first to be helped along would be the one who has been struggling through it the longest. For me that would be spring of ‘14.  ? Y’all? 

Anyhow, finished the lathing and insulation today!! D4F1C419-999F-4982-88B9-8FF9BE0C572A.jpeg

EF5A39FD-E07E-4992-8555-14DEE6794882.jpeg

9199B296-41A3-469F-A25B-667C0B49C5FE.jpeg

DB4CEE5A-EC2B-43F5-877C-4D50491A67EE.jpeg

• Like 5

All I managed to get done was a little paint prep work on the doors today and spent a few hours cleaning up piles of scrap wood (from when they put the building up) that were full of nails (pulling all of them) so I don't have to trip over them any more.  It's not real progress,  but one of those jobs you need to get done.  Made a dandy wood pile for the summer campfires though.  They were calling for rain or I would have painted those doors as well. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrEarl said:

would think the first to be helped along would be the one who has been struggling through it the longest. For me that would be spring of ‘14.  ? Y’all? 

Wow, I didn’t realize that it had been that long.  Mine started with site clearing in March 2016.

Mr. Earl,  You've been at it the longest,  you win.  I started site work / clearing trees August 2016, Dug the footings in August of 2017 after all the paperwork was in order and we finished the raw shell and roof December of 2017.  I'm at dead last in the race.  

That just means you all will have more time to help me catch up once yours are done. ;)

The plan is CO this year for the finished shell with siding and windows with just a gravel floor.  

Then if I'm really lucky Maybe get my floor poured before October.   That is probably pushing it though. 

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Good for you! I'll bet that made a world of difference in the radiant heat you were getting inside from the tin roof.

yes sir,indeed it did!!!!!! The only good part about installing installation in the hot summer is the fact that the more you install, the cooler it gets. Still got all the front office area ceiling and all the walls to go though. But gotta get the electrical wiring roughed in first and have been working on that

B99BE7A9-86BF-4D21-B29C-080AC1BF2286.jpeg

E79FC75F-42EE-4A9D-9081-2749DBB1CA74.jpeg

also installed a beam down the peak of the ceiling, made up of old chicken house posts, all scrubbed and sanitized.

B9CE1AA5-74F1-4FD9-A45F-8C5311662D3D.jpeg

1BF5EB67-B7D4-4876-B5A9-DD0E629D8ECA.jpeg

F5958608-7089-4AF7-BDA5-CA5EF9067296.jpeg

Starting to cut up some of the old pine 2x6's for trim that will frame out tin in the interior gable wall

362C87BA-C785-4274-A082-2C26E7FF7793.jpeg

50AF3733-2D7A-44F1-AEA5-C5B9E97ACDA3.jpeg9B2BB2AA-8382-4C07-B9F6-8C7D103D4E90.jpeg

• Like 2

You seem to get more done than me each day and I actually spent most of the day on it.  I'll post over on my thread.  Looking good.  I could feel that heat the other day really starting to come through my roof and that's 16 feet to the low end.  I imagine it's much toastier up in the air than down on the cool ground where I am. 

• Thanks 1

I can’t believe how much more I get done in a day with the one helper I’ve had over the last couple of weeks. He is a self starter and fast learner. Regrettably he will be going back to school next week and it will slow down again.

Dropped the ceiling and added an old pine 2x10 to the area next to the office yesterday. Plans are for the heat pump to go in this overhead area.

2088068F-86D8-4414-83E4-7991AE2A23A0.jpeg

8A165E7E-936C-4B4B-89A6-AD3681F019E0.jpeg

76EA6052-B889-493E-8E51-CA96D3403C90.jpeg

Started sorting and washing down the 24’ pieces of 5V tin today. While I would love to install it full length, it would take 3 men on scaffolds  and 2 on the ground to accomplish it. So I’ve decided to just go with 8’ / 4’ staggered. 

E4CF2A73-AD2E-4294-AE32-C9DC08CE6EC6.jpeg

590CA9D1-A63F-4367-B3FF-3FFD6026C705.jpeg

443F1653-A56C-43E2-865B-8EB7082AC5C3.jpeg

46994416-87FD-4B63-9609-5BB35FAE2F83.jpeg

I love the rust patterns on this tin. Can't wait to see it on the ceiling, hopefully this coming week

I always make sure to drink plenty of liquids 

8A0B12D5-6BF8-4416-A167-FCC274B3325C.jpeg

4DB493C2-C5AB-4405-91CB-A47BF8B25FE3.jpeg

1B9ECF7E-E272-46C5-BCFF-85E35D0C1334.jpeg

• Like 5