My Retro 1930's BUICK SALES and SERVICE GARAGE

9 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

Hurray for Elvis!!  I nominate Elvis as garage foreman for Buick Sales and Service.

or maybe the forum mascot. :D   Official name  Elvis Century Roadmaster, code name ECR

OK sorry for getting so off topic here, moderator privileges... :P:D

Back on topic.

Got all the building materials I won't need for awhile and all the other accumulated junk moved out of the way. The office/showroom area will take up the front from the far left to a good car door opening point on the right. and under the area of the lower truss chords. 

IMG_9789.JPG

Got Tugalo tucked into the corner out of the way. Shot some MM and acetone in her cylinders in case she is froze up after sitting the 28 years. Yea, I feel bad tucking her away like that, but wha's another year or so gonna hurt.

IMG_9709.JPG

IMG_9712.JPG

IMG_9716.JPG

IMG_9715.JPG

IMG_9717.JPG

IMG_9784.JPG

Finally sold the '53-'55 322 3 speed conversion set up so had a few dollars to spend on some lumber for the walls of the office/showroom.Now to get the 2x4's vertical rather than horizontal. 

IMG_9782.JPG

• Like 8

EGR or ECM would also be related but need to think of a long form. 

Here I had been starting to get shakes with nearly a week between updates...if we are pretty much caught up to current day then I'm really in trouble. I guess Lamar will just have to work faster ?

Edited by Thriller (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking the same thing.  I actually started getting work done on my 28 x 50.  I finally got all the foam up on the back inside section so I can finish wainscoting  on it. I figured at the pace I work,  Mr Earl should be about finishing his up, as he seems to get a lot more done than I.

I’ve been watching for an update as well.  I started my garage thread well after I started the actual work.  Progress appears to be quick and indeed sometimes you do make a huge visual change in a short time.    For me, once my thread caught up with my project, updates were in real time and progress was what it was, slow.  

Having said that, I’ve been amazed at how much inspiration, encouragement and motivation I get from others sharing their projects and comments.  So, I’ll be anxiously patient awaiting Lamar’s next post!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I look at the gruelingly slow pace finishing off my 28 by 50 with a 10 foot ceiling and the money it takes for all the little things you forget about.  (I have over $ 7,000 in insulation)  Then I look out the window at my 60 by 72 foot shell with a 16 foot ceiling, that still needs a floor, in floor heating, electrical insulation,  I still have to install the 18 windows I have coming in a week(6 of which I have to split into 2 windows and build frames for) , 4 doors and build a set of nice folding doors for the main door which is framed at 14 foot tall by 16 foot wide.   My friend tells me he feels exhausted just telling him what I need to do.  LOL

Of course my problem is I wanted something that looked nice on a budget (hard to balance) so it didn't distract from the house we have.  It's a lot easier to build a small stylish building than a really big one,  but everyone I talked to,  said build it as big as I possibly could the first time.   Looks like I'll never have enough money top add on to it anyways.  I'm happy with what I have so far though and nothing spent the winter out in the snowbank. 

Of course having to work (though I'm self employed). still throws a wrench in what I can get done.  I'm watching the kids tonight so I can't be out in the garage.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Then I look out the window at my 60 by 72 foot shell with a 16 foot ceiling, that still needs a floor, in floor heating, electrical insulation,  I still have to install the 18 windows I have coming in a week(6 of which I have to split into 2 windows and build frames for) , 4 doors and build a set of nice folding doors for the main door which is framed at 14 foot tall by 16 foot wide.

Auburnseeker,  I’ve read your posts and saw your pictures and was hoping you’d start a thread about your project.  It looks and sounds like you’ve got a lot going on and we are not too far apart on where we are at with our shops.  You mentioned that you had a thread and linked to it but I wasn’t able to see the link.  It was quite some time ago that Lamar encouraged me to start my thread and I’m really glad that I did.  People share their ideas with you and we all love those pictures.

I probably should.  I'll pick a rainy or down day and try to get one going.  I can show the finishing on the existing garage that was here when I bought this place a few years ago (pretty much an unfinished shell) Then the ground up build of the new one.  Too much work too little time and definitely not enough money.  I sell full time on eBay,  so its hard to forecast a budget when sales are like Mr toad's wild ride.  I was doing well sales wise,  spent 10G for my windows, which I had saved up in a short time,  then the sales after that have been terrible,  so I about had to rob from Peter to pay Paul to cover the monthly bills,  which fluctuate drastically as well, based on your sales.  Kind of a vicious cycle.  

I've also found out,  that often when you dump allot on the market to try to make a few extra bucks,  the stuff never seems to command a premium,  when you just chug along ,  you tend up having the best sales.  I list 30 items or more a night 7 days a week.  Sometimes I spend a whole day invoicing Large orders and never even get out to the garage.  I haven't taken a day off since Christmas.  I keep thinking I should,  but then realize those garage needs aren't funding themselves and winter is the better time to list than summer. 

Time to get back to work. 

Life has a way of getting into our way.  I can empathize about all these little pricey things that really add up.  You really want to do the job right and make things nice but compromise is always nearby. 

Since I started my shop, I watched electrical wire go from $52 to $71 and plywood went from $23 to $30.  And, have you priced solder or PVC glue lately?

This is one of the many reasons I admire what Lamar has done with his project; the repurposing and reuse just doesn’t add character, it stretches the dollar.

• Like 1

I've got a chance to get quite a pile of Barn board from a huge barn they are tearing down,  though it really should be saved,  but the organization that owns the property thinks hiring someone to tear the building down and cart it way in a dumpster is the best way to dispose of it.  (I'm sure they could have sold it standing to one of those companies that tears them down and harvests the good material or disassembles it and reassembles it somewhere else.   What a shame.  It's 3 stories I believe and even has a 500 gallon wood water tank in the rafters.  Not only is the outside all barn boards,  the inside is all sheathed as well with up to 18 inch wide 100 year old boards.  I figured,  maybe I can use what I need, sell the rest and help fund some of the project.  We'll see. Problem is the time to go tear it down as well.  It's near my Father's.  He is going to go look it over good and see what he thinks.  He has a 1 ton dump truck and a nice heavy open car hauler so moving the material won't be a problem. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I sell full time on eBay,  so its hard to forecast a budget when sales are like Mr toad's wild ride. I was doing well sales wise,  spent 10G for my windows, which I had saved up in a short time,  then the sales after that have been terrible,  so I about had to rob from Peter to pay Paul to cover the monthly bills,  which fluctuate drastically as well, based on your sales.  Kind of a vicious cycle.  

Be glad that you've found products to sell that you can make money on. I sold on eBay for a while and I couldn't make enough profit to make it worthwhile. eBay, PPal and USPS made all the money and I did all the work. If I was gong to build a garage with money from my eBay sales it would have to be about the size of an outhouse.  :lol:

• Haha 1

Ebay is definitely a tough market to figure.   Just when you think you know what sells and start paying more to buy that type of stuff,  the bottom drops out.  Lets hope it keeps I I only need to make another 100G to sort of finish off my garage and another couple of 100 top actually buy some cars to put in it. ;)

You are right though, the three mobsters in the room take all my lunch money and leave me with a few pennies for candy. 

The postal increases are really hammering my sales as a lot of my stuff sells for 3 to 5 dollars.  It's close to $10 the people are paying for the items, but my take is less than half.   I only do auctions though, so the break out items,  make it worth while. 

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎01 at 7:59 AM, MrEarl said:

Finally sold the '53-'55 322 3 speed conversion set up so had a few dollars to spend on some lumber for the walls of the office/showroom.Now to get the 2x4's vertical rather than horizontal. 

IMG_9782.JPG

You didn't need that trailer for those 2x4's!  Southern Belle would have taken those and more!

IMG_3039.JPG

• Like 4

MrEarl,

The end of March is around the corner as is Easter and imagine you have been busy with the trailer and the wagon but anything new with the Sales and Service Garage?

I wondered about you being able to store the trailer inside, so looked back over your pictures and guessing the doors might be a bit low for that?

Initially figure you and the Mrs. will be racking up the miles so storage won't be an issue but eventually.... ?

I'll bet the rig would look good inside next to a few old Buicks.

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

• Like 1

Guys, thanks for continuing to check in and sorry I haven't updated in a while. As Joel said 

On 3/16/2018 at 8:59 PM, JoelsBuicks said:

Life has a way of getting into our way.

and it did just that here at Buick Gardens last week. We had a bat toting Negan (Google Walking Dead Negan) wannabe out taking a walk in the neighborhood and as Elvis approached with his usual tail waggin bark, the &$^@&(#*&  started swinging the bat at him. And I mean swinging hard, reaching out trying to make contact.  Luckily I was close enough to intervene in time or else Elvis would most likely be dead and I would be in jail for assault or worse.  Soooo, we have been in the process of laying out for and procuring materials for about 1,200 ft of fence and gates to enclose the rest of Buick Gardens that the previous farm fence didn't cover. So for the next week or two Rita and I will be installing about 140 fence posts and pulling and stapling wire. Real fun first project since Rita's retirement. ;- (   And they're not giving wire fencing and posts away and in fact those prices have gone up just like all building materials so there goes some of the Buick Sales and Service dollars. 

and before starting to auger holes, one has to cut trees and move a rock pile some farmer many years ago cleared out of his cotton field and piled directly on what eventually became my property line. EBB851B6-A653-4BF1-8E7C-740B20F4D6BF.jpeg

and of course my circa 2011 tractor battery thinks this would be just a hilarious time to finally die

C825AABB-A3A0-46DE-BC65-9C6A9F93CC25.jpeg2B88BA0B-C50A-4B13-A785-770E9612307A.jpeg

it's a crazy society we live in these days Matt...  we have 2-3 neighborhood residents walk or jog the rural street in front of our house each day and never had this situation or anything close to it arise. This guy apparently took the ol hound dog bark as serious and aggressive this time. Enclosing the front in fence will still give Elvis 14 acres in which to roam.

Jeeze,  I hope my string of bad luck didn't head your way.  Last fall when the crunch was on to get my garage enclosed before snow fall (which happened after the first 2, 12 inch snow falls  the battery went in my diesel truck,  which meant two new ones, my computer went south and they don't give new Macs away, then I had to put a lot of materials to finish on my CC as I ran out of money to get the job done while the help was available.  As it was I had to make enough money the week they finished,  so I could pay for the labor the following week.   That was a lean month boy and I still had to buy the wife a little something for under the tree.  

Hope you don't have any other unforeseen problems come up.  I'm going to start a new thread for my shop so I can quit Hijacking yours.  We just had our taxes done,  so I have a good handle on what I spent for my whole project,  which not being completed,  didn't get to start writing it off this year. Fortunately I didn't really need it as I'm good at spending almost as much as I make back on my business every year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrEarl said:

we have been in the process of laying out for and procuring materials for about 1,200 ft of fence and gates to enclose the rest of Buick Gardens

That is a major project even without having to clear the way.  I don’t know how you feel about fences but they have a way of creating an unwelcoming feel.  They also have to be kept mowed and sprayed.  Unfortunately,  they are also necessary in some cases.  It doesn’t sound like this was something you had on your to-do list and that alone can take all the fun out of it. 

We we will wait patiently to see how you repurpose that pile of rocks ?. 

• Like 1

I trust Elvis avoided being the recipient of a hard blow... (or any for that matter)

If he is nimble enough to catch fish in your pond, want to think he still has his quickness to see a swing coming and back away.

Any chance a load of rocks might somehow mysteriously end up on a certain person's driveway???-_-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to keep you all waiting and in suspense as to what is going on down here in Jawga. Just didn't think  anybody would be that interested in hearing about two old folks putting up 1,100 ft of fence.  But actually we are finally getting some rain so if any interest, will continue telling about the fence build which has pushed back all the other usual spring time chores here at Buick Gardens.  We are done with Phase 1 of the fence which was fencing in the pasture and pond area with field fence (actually sheep and goat fence) 

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

and am waiting on the ornamental double loop fence to arrive from Australia for in front of the house. It will be similar to this but 48 inches tall and with loops half way up from the bottom.

Capture 1.PNG

By the way, I finally got the rock pile down to a size that won't allow the coyotes to just jump over the fence. The deeper into it I got the bigger the rocks got.

IMG_0940.JPGIMG_0942.JPG

But I had no problem finding places for them around the Garden and Buick Pond.

C864A9E2-BDED-4A58-A386-67B326F57CFA.jpegACA4A59B-8E3E-41C4-822F-932E21C41C46.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now you finally have to find time to get that landscaping done you were putting off. ;)

I know the feeling,  every time we start some project around here we end up doing 2 or 3 others we weren't going to do.  I was leaf blowing the front yard today,  and the grass was blowing away in tufts as the dirt is so crappy the grass roots won't even stay in it.  Now we are talking about 30 yards or so of top soil.  I also started smoothing down the dirt behind the old garage before the grass tarts growing in it.  It's 50 percent rocks and gravel I think so real fun to rake out. 

Next I'll have to add a walk way,  maybe move a few shrubs out there.  I don't think it ever ends.  When do we stop making more work for ourselves? 

I thought I had a Monopoly on rocks.  Looks like you found a nice pile as well. They look good with the way you are placing them.   It probably wasn't a priority on your list though. 

In all we put up over 100 fence posts plus bracing and ran I think about 800 ft of fence. I say we  because my dear wife Rita was there working right along with me, tamping the dirt back in the holes and driving staples. One day when we were both packing dirt in the same post hole,  I asked her how she was liking retirement and  she said without hesitation "I'd rather be doing this any day than working"  Me too!!!

Laid out all the corners and posts at 8 ft centers.

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

augured out the holes with the ol Ford 2000 and antique auger and planted the posts. Optimum moisture in the Georgia red clay for  excellent compaction.

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

and old Elvis, made in the shade, not a care in the world and doesn't know whats about to take place.

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

and am waiting on the ornamental double loop fence to arrive from Australia for in front of the house. It will be similar to this but 48 inches tall and with loops half way up from the bottom.

Capture 1.PNG

Really - a bit more Oz in Jawga

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I don't think it ever ends.  When do we stop making more work for ourselves? 

You're right, it NEVER ends. While waiting on the fence from AU, I've already started hauling mulch from piles that just happened to be in the way of where I will be building the pole barn for the Airstream we just brought home.

7FB2AED7-79D9-4DB6-9587-D427BD625C89.jpeg

473C414A-199C-4730-94B8-DDD458FB372A.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 50jetback said:

Really - a bit more Oz in Jawga

Yep and apparently y'all have the market cornered on the stuff. American Iron Fence Company in Illinois gets it shipped in from down under by the container load. And you and I both know shipping from AU ain't cheap.  Maybe you could smuggle in about 3 rolls for me. :D

49 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Yep and apparently y'all have the market cornered on the stuff. American Iron Fence Company in Illinois gets it shipped in from down under by the container load. And you and I both know shipping from AU ain't cheap.  Maybe you could smuggle in about 3 rolls for me. :D

And maybe a H V McKay SUNSHINE cattle gate?

H V McKay SUNSHINE 002.JPG

H V McKay SUNSHINE 003.JPG

• Like 1