My Retro 1930's BUICK SALES and SERVICE GARAGE

On 1/25/2018 at 10:45 PM, Thriller said:

Agreed. Molson Canadian is pretty poor too...a short step up from Bud though. 

One of of my favourite things is to sample the local beer wherever I go. It's a tough life. 

As Linda and I drive to each ROA event, we always do some research and map out our course to allow us to stop at as many wineries, breweries, and distilleries as possible.  When went to Monterey a few years ago, we decided to fly into LA rather than San Francisco so we could drive through and spend a couple of extra days in the vineyards between  Monterey and LA.  Cal Poly, in San Luis Obispo, was having commencement exercises on the day we were there.  The bars and wineries opened at 6:00 AM that day. ??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RivNut said:

As Linda and I drive to each ROA event, we always do some research and map out our course to allow us to stop at as many wineries, breweries, and distilleries as possible. 

add old Buick dealerships and Botanical gardens to that list and you have my and Rita's   itinerary for when we hit the road with Big Red the Tahoe or Southern Belle the estate wagon with trailer in tow in a few months, the good Lord willing...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

add old Buick dealerships and Botanical gardens to that list and you have my and Rita's   itinerary for when we hit the road with Big Red the Tahoe or Southern Belle the estate wagon with trailer in tow in a few months, the good Lord willing...

You should plan to attend the ROA event in Kansas City this year.  Lots of micro-breweries here plus the big Boulevard Brewing Co.  I can get you a map of the Kansas Winery Trail which would include about 15 to 18  wineries within a 50 mile radius,  And the Union Horse and McCormick distilleries.  Powell Gardens is about 30 miles east of town.

https://powellgardens.org/

\

http://www.unionhorse.com/

https://www.boulevard.com/

http://kansaswinerytrail.com/

http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/p/beer-travel-guides.html

http://mccormickdistilling.com/

And don't forget about the famous Kansas City BBQ.  Way too many to list. But every year there's a "bracket" as in NCAA basketball.  Here's the 2017 results.

2017-KC-BBQ-Bracket-Square-Winner.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JoelsBuicks said:

By the way, we both would struggle without our scaffolds but I would have a very difficult time standing atop a three jack scaffold with nothing to hold on to.  And, I wouldn’t be able to take my mind off those scaffold boards “full of knots”.  That’s why I went to the mill and sawed some that were over 2” thick.

That's why my scaffolding is on wheels with an 8 foot basket 4 wheel drive, an 80 foot reach and a Diesel engine.  

IMG_3822.thumb.JPG.87042b48945c8f37a14599477754d3ad.JPG

• Like 3

The guys I had putting my shell up,  did use it to set a bunch of my 64 foot long 12 foot tall trusses.  It also boomed all the shingles on the roof and plywood.  I think it already paid at least 2/3 of the cost off and I can write it off besides.  Seems like a win win to me.  It felt a lot safer having the guys working out of this than off ladders. 

I still have all my soffit and siding work to do and this will come in handy for that.  The only problem is the foot print it takes up in the garage.  It's 30 foot long by 7 foot 7 inches wide.  Of course I could store a bunch of my tractor attachments under it in the winter to maximize floor space. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2018-01-26 at 9:44 PM, MrEarl said:

You're going to Vietnam? Tip a cold "33" on Red Beach for me. One beer I could never acquire a taste for. Nor Sake.

I'd have to look up Red Beach. We fly into Hanoi, spend a night on Halong Bay, Hoi An, and wind up in Saigon. It's going down o be a blast. That said, we are going under very different circumstances than you did. Another experience to add to the list along with the papal audience during Holy Week 2017. 

On 1/27/2018 at 10:00 AM, JoelsBuicks said:

It does look great!  I don’t know how one goes about creating perspectives and details that are pleasing to the eye but you do it very well and the textures of both old and new give a harmonizing and welcoming feel.  Parity in form and function; elusive to me but recognized and admired nonetheless.

By the way, we both would struggle without our scaffolds but I would have a very difficult time standing atop a three jack scaffold with nothing to hold on to.  And, I wouldn’t be able to take my mind off those scaffold boards “full of knots”.  That’s why I went to the mill and sawed some that were over 2” thick.

When you get a chance, show us how to you tied the front into the roof (the backside of the facade).  Or, maybe I missed it already.

Yea, I somewhat stayed toward and more or less hugged the wall most of the time I was on that top most scaffold. The 2" thickness would give you the strength to use individual boards I suspect. I spliced my 2x12's together which provided much more rigidity and not much flex and bounce, which yea, would be scary with knotty pine boards. However that made moving the wood platforms from one level a hell of a job and probably the most dangerous in the way of loosing balance. I'll be putting them all back together again once I start installing the insulation, wiring and tin in the ceiling of the back part of the building in the vaulted ceiling area. I am not looking forward to that and will likely enlist some help.  

On 1/27/2018 at 10:08 AM, dei said:

The shot of Kowpi on the scaffolding has me curious.

How the devil did he get up there?

Thinking if he got on the roof of the phrase "Cat on a hot tin roof" <_<

"she' climbed a ladder, how else. :D

Cat on a cold tin roof. and an emu

D9B65975-8643-4081-A981-728568CC027E.jpeg

1FBDB020-43FD-4E92-98AB-7BCD1A8193D4.jpeg

I have no idea how she gets on this roof though and I have seen her on the 10/12 roof you see above her here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm going to guess the birds are really nervous when they can't see Kowpi!

That is just a scream seeing her like that! :D

My soon to be 17 year old girl is getting too lazy to be that adventurous now but good company at the end of the day.

5a6e7eba51615_Tiger-January122018-pic2.thumb.JPG.3d28cdd67688c817cc51a484e6cd5e43.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thriller said:

I'd have to look up Red Beach. We fly into Hanoi, spend a night on Halong Bay, Hoi An, and wind up in Saigon. It's going down o be a blast. That said, we are going under very different circumstances than you did. Another experience to add to the list along with the papal audience during Holy Week 2017. 

Not far from Da Nang. As I was in Motor Transport, we loaded deuce and a half's  (no relation to the Buick deuce and a quarters) and 5 tons (both troop and supply carrying trucks) onto LCU's and made a beach landing to carry supplies into Da Nang. Quick trip in and quicker trip back. That was my extent of Nam duty which gave me the right to wear the Vietnam medal of which I never did, as I never thought I truly earned it. It was also the beach of one of if not the first Marine beach landings early in the war. Try to visit it, I hear there are now some nice hotels and spas there now. Tha's all I have to say about that.   

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2018 at 10:00 AM, JoelsBuicks said:

When you get a chance, show us how to you tied the front into the roof (the backside of the facade).  Or, maybe I missed it already.

You don't miss much of anything sir.  ;)

Tying the back side of the facade into the roof was a bit tricky but somewhat fun. Flashing over the ribbed tin with one of the ribs acting as somewhat of a water stop helped. Used sealant tape between the top of the roof tin rib and the flashing.  Lot of measuring and cutting of tin into angled pieces.  I also put a few vents in up high to help draw some of the heat out of the attic that will be formed over the front office area. Did this work from the 5/12 roof top with the tin being still a bit slippery from the oil used in making it. The Swede,  who is much smaller than I was a tremendous help here.

ADA4FD80-3D0D-4829-B760-DE51C7858E2B.jpeg

• Like 4

time to build a frame for the front windows

IMG_3898_zps5fr2kgby.jpg

IMG_3900_zpslmkmdpts.jpg

The salvaged window sashes were installed temporarily

IMG_3905_zps3fddrxir.jpg

IMG_3910_zpstpnmxvie.jpg

then took down and completely re-glazed. Very tedious and time consuming. 72 lights in all. Like most things, by the time you finally get good at it, you're done

IMG_3926_zpsdaiwckq1.jpg

IMG_3924_zpshulr8tki.jpg

IMG_3927_zpsq6feojus.jpg

Then build a pine frame around and install the Habitat For Humanity $25 front door. Regrettably they didn't have it in my year. VERY well constructed door, heavy, solid and good condition, should serve well. 

IMG_3912_zps3ytjjlpw.jpg

• Like 3

And speaking of my sweet Rita, we had a night on the town last night and went to see one of my favorite bluegrass groups, the Del McCoury Band at the Georgia Theater in Athens.  One of his songs sort of fits here so I recorded and put it on YouTube to share with y'all. Not the best sound quality mind ya. I'm Workin on a Building   Ol'  Del is 79 years old and still puts on one helluva show.

9023ED03-3CDE-47CF-8D37-2C8E5CE39762.jpeg

Next came installing some more of that high dollar cedar 2x trim around the doors and windows. We built our house back in '87 totally out of western red cedar and I could tell so much difference in it and this fast growth cedar I was putting up now. Will definitely need to keep it sealed over the years.

IMG_3953_zpsuuqdfajx.jpg

Thinking ahead a bit, I realized I would need some brackets to hold up the front awning and would need something more substantial than the siding to support the brackets. After adding some structural 2x10 pines on the inside between the studs (failed to get pics of them though) I nailed and bolted these 2x8 pieces of cedar to the 2x10's. The brackets will actually be attached all the way through the 2x8 cedar and into the 2x10's when installed.

IMG_3954_zpsxb4mpgik.jpg

When I went looking for material for siding, I looked into southern long leaf pine, cedar and cypress. Cypress was my choice as it is so rot and insect resistant. Carpenter bees have given me fits over the years in boring into the Cedar siding and trim of our house. I was told by someone with a cypress sided house that they do not bother it. So I started looking for cypress and much to my dismay could not find it locally nor within a days travel. And the cost where I did find it was way out of my budget. One day while looking through CL I found an ad for "8 inch beveled cypress siding, approximately 500 sq ft. Cut approximately 40 years ago and stored in sawmill shed since" Called and it was priced way cheaper than new beveled cedar so told the guy I would be there in 30 minutes. I arrived and took one look at it and could not believe my eyes. It was some of the most beautiful lumber, very few knots, and had been cut with a large circular saw blade. He said it had been sticked and under the shed since before the sawmill closed some 30 years ago. He was starting the sawing operation back up and needed it out of the way. I quickly obliged. Thanks you Jesus, thank you Lauwad.

IMG_3967_zpsdonlj4e1.jpg

IMG_3970_zpsbbhyzhxg.jpg

Wetted some of it down to see what it would look like after sealing.

IMG_3956_zpsuu8hyh1f.jpg

IMG_3957_zpselpgg9lu.jpg

IMG_3979_zpsxyq92zjx.jpg

I love the circular saw blade marks

IMG_3975_zps9piwwc2r.jpgIMG_3988_zps4ykto2r8.jpg

IMG_3991_zpscsexf9bq.jpg

• Like 6

What a treasured find and it sounds like it came just in time.  The old circle saws are dying with the old men who ran them. Band mills are fast and automated and waste less but they can’t leave that kind of signature.  That close grain look is amazing and perfectly suited to adorn the show side.  Divine intervention indeed!

Cypress, called wood of the Pharaohs for its incredible longevity and use in ancient coffins, will age to a timeless silver and could last a Buick century with no topical attention - ever.

Very nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MrEarl said:

My sweet Reet cleaning the finished windows and blowing me a kiss, she's gotta love me...

IMG_4921_zps4ehenoe9.jpg

She must to put up with all that ???

That said, for a night on the town, you clean up better than expected ?

Nice work. I don't have the patience nor energy to be doing this. Remind me not to show this to Suzanne. 

Theres a beach party planned for Da Nang, so perhaps it will be at Red Beach. I haven't qualified for that yet though. 

• Like 1

I think what comes next was the most excited I had been about any stage of the construction so far, putting the siding up. My wife and I had sided about half of our house back in '87 after I told the siding contractor to hit the road after coming home from work one day and finding numerous pieces not level and some of the trim boards not beveled as I had instructed.
The old sawmill cypress was very dry after being stacked and cured for 30 some odd years. I decided not to use the nail gun but instead drill for every nail and use the siding nails that were left over from building the house. Nailing siding requires keeping a close eye on the nail and board as the nail approaches the wood then meets it. Another tap to barely bend the wood and it is good. I didn't feel comfortable using a nail gun to do that.
Lots of cutting and fitting around the doors and windows made for a slow go. The Swede was still helping and if I remember correctly it took about 3 days to complete.

IMG_4003_zpsxugqtvai.jpg

IMG_4004_zps5zn9oxdu.jpg

IMG_4005_zpsijpxb3nx.jpg

This was being done toward the end of the summer, September-October. The daytime temps ran from the 60s in the morning to the low 90's in the late afternoon. So work generally started by no later than 8:00 o'clock. The building faces south west and as the sun started getting low in the afternoon the heat reflecting off the foil faced sheathing made for an early 4:00 o'clock quitting time and some salted neck Rolling rock with lime and a few screwdrivers.

IMG_4144_zpsnxhar1np.jpg

IMG_4148_zps0g4sne7v.jpg

• Like 7

I then hit it with some Flood CWF-UV sealer by roller then brush it in. Repeat.  CWF is not the same it use to be as when I applied it to the house. I gave the siding 2 coats and the trim three. Likely the last time I will apply it. The old pine trim is beginning to need another coat already and I will probably try and hit it every 3-4 years.

IMG_4163_zps3cunjzct.jpg

IMG_4169_zpsyjjeugub.jpg

• Like 5

About this time I started planning and designing in my head how to build and what to use on the front brow ie the metal awning/overhang. Went through the barn attic and found these corbels that had been left over from when we had built our house back in '87. I had removed them from a 3 story house that had been built in the 1870's and I got in on the demolition of. I pulled each one of them using two ladders tied together with lots of nylon chord and duct tape. The ladders shook the entire time I was pulling the corbels due to my legs shaking.

I figured out what I wanted and selected the best and took the rest to an antique shop and sold them. Which was good as my BS&S building fund was almost depleted. This picture is of what I sold and is at the antique shop. The antique shop owner is an expert on and deals in heart pine. He was in awe of the pieces and said he had never before seen such nice pieces and that they had probably all been cut out of one 2-300 year old pine. So in other words the wood in the corbels I am using is likely 3-400 years old.

image_zpsonh3vpmt.jpeg

IMG_4342_zpstcwb3f8n.jpg

IMG_4344_zpspfx6jyqg.jpg

I stripped them using a combination of stripper, a heat gun, scrapers, wire brushes, sand paper and LOTS of tedious time.

IMG_4357_zpsgjvx6ngg.jpg

IMG_4395_zpsr5yror7d.jpg

IMG_4363_zpsa2cezzlg.jpg

IMG_4397_zpsvegnkkbr.jpg

IMG_4400_zpsmoyyawrm.jpg

IMG_4403_zpsqtzcvda2.jpg

IMG_4410_zpsbvcfbtjg.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks Gary, appreciate it. It was exciting seeing the grain come out from under that old paint. The will be shielded pretty well from the elements but I will need to reseal them every 3-4 years.

So at about this time Olof,  the Swede gets all his cars that he had purchased from everywhere from Canada to California finished shipping into Buick Gardens so we turned our attention, carpentry and engineering skills and brawn to loading up three shipping containers with 9 trucks and cars. We precut timbers and pine 2x10s in order to build ramps and platforms in the middle of the containers to hold a car up and over the hoods of ones fore and aft of it. Everything had to be prebuilt to pretty exact dimensions so we could assemble them in short order as we were only allowed 4 hours for each load before an extra delay fee was charged. We built portable stanchions/sawhorses as supports for ramps up to the platforms. These weren't small cars and trucks we were loading either and it was a good thing Olof is small and agile as I personally would never have fit in the areas he needed to to cinch all the cars down well and proper. It all went off like clock work, everything fit perfectly and we tipped the tow truck driver a carton of cigarettes for his patience. The only guffaw that happened was on the first day when the truck arrived, we opened the door and discovered the container floor was metal instead of wood as we had ordered. So we set about running a parallel set of 2xs along the floor at the walls then crosspieces at each set of front and back wheels to have something to cinch the wheels too. 

IMG_4533%20-%20Copy_zpsehqakm0k.jpg

These were the first set of stanchions we built. After we saw that they worked, after the truck left with the first load, we built another set for the next day. It worked even better since that truck had wooden floors.

IMG_4531%20-%20Copy_zpsepnkurtu.jpg

IMG_4557%20-%20Copy_zpsuoon9s7d.jpg

IMG_4565%20-%20Copy_zpsshb1r1qd.jpg

IMG_4562%20-%20Copy_zpsirm6w0kh.jpg

IMG_4568%20-%20Copy_zpsufcd68ku.jpg

IMG_4536%20-%20Copy_zpsbh65siq8.jpg

I had hauled this 76 up from Mobile about 3 years earlier and had stored it in a goat shed for him til he arrived. We pulled it out of the shed, he got it tagged and got a drivers license and he drove it around Georgia for the couple months he was here. I had been driving the blue 85 Estate Wagon and had actually gotten a bit attached to it, hence my recent acquisition of the 79 Southern Belle.

IMG_4622%20-%20Copy_zpsflopfc8l.jpg

IMG_4562%20-%20Copy_zpsirm6w0kh.jpg

IMG_4624%20-%20Copy_zpskfha7ast.jpg

IMG_4539%20-%20Copy_zpsznusuj8x.jpg

IMG_4628%20-%20Copy_zpsyt9wcg5h.jpg

IMG_4631%20-%20Copy_zpsgwi1frhw.jpg

One of the most difficult things to do was to get the car centered and in perfect alignment on the rollback then guide the driver of the rollback perfectly in line with the container. There were a few inches to spare with the cars... IMG_4630%20-%20Copy_zpssd9jlm1w.jpg

IMG_4637_zpsnlcxpb10.jpg

IMG_4642_zpsxdyen2kx.jpgIMG_4640_zpsbghnicti.jpg

IMG_4594%20-%20Copy_zpstd9idooh.jpg

IMG_4544%20-%20Copy_zpsmfip9taf.jpg

This was the fun one to load. But to add to the fun, notice the spare overdrive rear end hanging beneath the pick up. And in the bed of the pickup are doors we had pulled off a van in a salvage yard for one of his vehicles already in Sweden.

IMG_4542%20-%20Copy_zpspnhb67fi.jpg

1.5 inch clearance either side, and drove this one in.

IMG_4545%20-%20Copy_zpsxbiq5mof.jpg

IMG_4549%20-%20Copy_zpssb8msxds.jpg

Quite a fun experience. Olof left shortly after the containers did and was home in time to receive the containers. Reported back that they all arrived just as they had been packed safe and sound.

Really enjoyed his visit, all the help with the garage and the experience of loading shipping containers. I will say I would not do it for a living.

• Like 6

Will be needing some substantial brackets to support this brow...

Bought some 20' pieces of 1/4" X 3 inch flat stock and had a local fab shop cut and weld. I layered them all together and drilled some bolt holes.

IMG_4415_zpsarmlgr8c.jpg

Got out my rustification mix

IMG_4424_zpsfxqj7pzg.jpg

and rustified them

IMG_4425_zps0mylnt1d.jpg

IMG_4427_zpstogrdcvj.jpg

IMG_4438_zpsceek8laa.jpg

IMG_4441_zpscz1qlopa.jpg

IMG_4452_zpsuirs3wdh.jpg

After the initial rusting was done I washed the salt and vinegar residue off.

• Like 2

Built some wooden brackets out of the old growth pine from the chicken houses. Glued, screwed and angle nailed together. Sealed them with 2 coats of CWF.

IMG_4431_zpsjiyfmbn6.jpg

Hit the Victorian Corbels with a couple coats of CWF

IMG_4445_zpsm8hax7pu.jpg

IMG_4447_zpsvsf8cbgq.jpg

IMG_4443_zps6ezhdbnt.jpg

IMG_4448_zpsmsqsx1bg.jpg

IMG_4449_zpsywul2flg.jpg

Rustified the heads of some 2 1/2" lag bolts with a vinegar and salt brine. Shiny steel bolt heads would have stuck out like a sore thumb

IMG_4457_zpsk7isxw1b.jpg

and used them to bolt the metal brackets to the wooden brackets. Temporarily sat the corbel in to see how it would look. I have been concerned a little about the scale of the corbel to the bracket and the bracket to the building. So far it isn't looking too bad.

IMG_4469_zpseogvj0mp.jpg

IMG_4471_zpsvrnwtrgf.jpg

IMG_4473_zpsj4yuylbo.jpg

IMG_4477_zps1tsct9wx.jpg

• Like 5

Next task was to go through all the salvaged chicken house corrugated tin and pull enough good sheets to complete the brow and clean them with a mixture of 4:1 water/muriatic acid.

IMG_4898_zps1pmrqdxw.jpg

IMG_4899_zps6kcze7hy.jpg

IMG_4893_zpsmjosdqfp.jpg

IMG_4897_zps59wcmdvc.jpg

Then run a ledger board for the top of the tin to rest on

IMG_4870_zpsessy2ul0.jpg

Then a front double one along the tops of the brackets for the lower part of the tin to rest on. Both top and bottoms were cut at angles so tin would lay flush on top and not just on the edges.

IMG_4936_zpsajhzyz5e.jpg

Measure and cut all the pieces to the exact same length with my 4.5 inch grinder. Stacked and cut three at a time.

IMG_4950_zpsfvhc1x2m.jpg

Lay them all out and hit them with some straight muriatic acid in random places to give them some reckless abandon rust potential. I would spray it on, scrub with a brush for a minute then rinse thoroughly.

IMG_4955_zpsfozpdpwf.jpg

IMG_4956_zpsq6ngubup.jpg

• Like 7

Did you consider, either in planning or retrospectively, putting a chamfer on the ends of those brackets?  It is a detail that you used on the overhangs on the upper steps of the facade and I thought it was quite clever.

I really like the look of those corbels combined with the brackets.  It would have been real easy to skip that part and brace the edge of the awning back to the building and call it good.  But, the design element would have been lost and the “underneath” view not nearly as attractive and intriguing. I thought about this also on that inside corner you made on the backside.  There’s something about that road less travelled.

I think my right brain atrophied in college and I never recovered.  I couldn’t come up with this but at least I can appreciate the look.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoelsBuicks said:

Did you consider, either in planning or retrospectively, putting a chamfer on the ends of those brackets?  It is a detail that you used on the overhangs on the upper steps of the facade and I thought it was quite clever.

I really like the look of those corbels combined with the brackets.  It would have been real easy to skip that part and brace the edge of the awning back to the building and call it good.  But, the design element would have been lost and the “underneath” view not nearly as attractive and intriguing. I thought about this also on that inside corner you made on the backside.  There’s something about that road less travelled.

I think my right brain atrophied in college and I never recovered.  I couldn’t come up with this but at least I can appreciate the look.  

I actually did consider the chamfer but it would have required cutting the 1/4" flat bar stock to the same shape. Considering that,  I just told myself that the squared off ends would make the whole thing look more stronger and bolder which, after all was said and done I think it does and I was pleased with the decision. I really like the way the corbel brackets dresses up the front of the building and ties it into the house which has some of the same corbels. A dreamer might think that the old Victorian farm house and the Buick dealership building were designed and built at the same time, maybe somewhere around the turn of the century. ;) 

As always thanks for your appreciation Joel.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

Those corbels are a sight to behold.  You just don’t find wood with a grain that tight anymore. 

Thanks Billy, I agree. Thankfully much of the old structural timber used in factories and warehouses is today being resawn into lumber for flooring and furniture etc. 

53 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

I actually did consider the chamfer but it would have required cutting the 1/4" flat bar stock to the same shape. Considering that,  I just told myself that the squared off ends would make the whole thing look more stronger and bolder which, after all was said and done I think it does and I was pleased with the decision. I really like the way the corbel brackets dresses up the front of the building and ties it into the house which has some of the same corbels. A dreamer might think that the old Victorian farm house and the Buick dealership building were designed and built at the same time, maybe somewhere around the turn of the century. ;) 

As always thanks for your appreciation Joel.

Question is , which century?  Looking good, my friend.

Ben

I've never been able to keep up with what century we're in. Except for the '54 3 speed one.  Thanks for the good words, buddy.

Back to finishing up the brow. After they were all cleaned up and cut to size

IMG_4956_zpsq6ngubup.jpg

Squared the first one up best I could and start laying and screwing the bad boys up.

IMG_4957_zpsjfxb5d2n.jpg

and danged if they all didn't come out nice and square with each other and straight along the front.

IMG_4963_zpsxqjkl5jj.jpg

bend me up some 20 ft long pieces of flashing

IMG_4964_zps59gbywrj.jpg

and insert in one end and slide along underneath the upper tin siding

IMG_4968_zpsd7wsoe9t.jpg

and there she be. Brow complete.

IMG_4969_zpsmnishfmy.jpg

• Like 7

I've used that same process to ben stainless steel sheet into trim for my 32 Ford to go around the windshield for the inside garnish molding.  Once I got it bent to a 90,  I was able to hand pound it over the rest of the way to make it look like a conventional piece of molding.  It worked surprisingly well. 

Looking good.  

• Like 1