1972 Riviera Dimensions

Guest Utah Boatail

Guest Utah Boatail

I hope this is the right place to post this. I am hoping to get some people's help. I am currently out of town on business and I am looking at a car hauler that I might purchase and take back to Utah with me. The problem is I know that on most car haulers, the fenders can get in the way of the doors opening. I know some have removable fenders, etc.. but, I was hoping to pull the Rivi up to the front and clear the front of the fenders when opening the door. I don't know if this would be too much tongue weight or not, for my 2009 4wd Tahoe with a 6.2 engine, and I am hoping to get  some input on this as well, from anyone and everyone that has maybe put a 3rd gen Rivi on a car hauler. If I am able to pull the car up to the front and bring the tires against the "stop" (raised welded front bar, part of trailer) then, I need to know three dimensions from anyone that might have these, or can obtain them for me? Here is a sketch of what I am needing and the dashed green lines represent the dimensions I am looking for. I am hoping that I can get the dimension from where the front tire meets the ground, on an angle to the bottom rear corner of the door. Next the dimension from the same point on the door, to the most forward point of the front tire. And lastly, to clear the raised stop area at the front of the trailer, I would need to know what the minimum ground clearance is at the front edge of the tires. I would say from the fender to the ground, but I am not sure if there may be something inside the fenders that may be hanging lower, if that makes sense? If anyone has some input or experience with putting this car on a hauler, or can get me the dimensions, any and all input and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Dimensions For Trailer.jpg

an opinion.  Yes that is way too much for the 6.2 Tahoe!  Been there and done that!  I haul full size early 60's cars mainly and I believe they create similar situations.  First you will need a tow vehicle that can handle the 9,900 GWV of the 24 foot trailer you are going to need. Second ATC does make a new side lift option that eliminates the wheel well issue.  I had my trailer built 10 years ago(ATC) with the larger side door placed where needed for the vehicles door to open and the escape door was placed as low as possible on top of the fender area.  One of my cars is a little bit lower than the others so I simply place 2X boards on the drivers side so that the car drives up on them raising that side and plenty of escape door clearance.

When buying a trailer if you don't already have one make sure it has 5,200 lb axles as with 3,500 lb axles you will be over capacity with that heavy car plus the chassis weight of the trailer especially if it is of conventional steel construction.

As a note of interest to obtain the proper weight at the tongue of the trailer on my 24 ATC the cars are at the very back of the trailer usually only a few inches from the rear door.

Robert

CIMG5173.JPG