1955 Century 3 speed - $8500 on CL

cjp69

On December 21, 2017 at 3:15 PM, KongaMan said:

You could open a big can or worms with this topic, as it's a religious question in some quarters.

IMHO, it comes down to representation.  If the car is represented as a Century, that crosses the line.  If it's badged as a Century, that's dancing right around the line.  In this case, though, the missing build plate plate tips the scales a bit; that seems to introduce an element of fraudulent intent.  The fenders?  Whatever.  The 4-barrel? So what.  To me, it could have been left as a Special, then dropped in a bigger engine and a 4-barrel, and the driver would never know the difference.  From that perspective, the changed scripts, dash pieces, build plate, etc. all point towards something more than grins for the owner/driver.

BTW, was it ever established what engine is in this thing?

Cloning it and very openly representing it as a cloned three speed Century, fine. Representing it as a rare original three speed Century,not so good! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrEarl said:

?I've got a data plate for a '55 66R in Gulf Turquoise  and Dover White - implying nothing, jus sayin ??

if that IS a 322 and the 5 bolt top 3 speed wasn't changed out to a 6 bolt, it soon will be. 

Do that and change the rear brake drums and backing plates and you have a Century.  Cosmetics will need the engine turned dash and a Century plate between the gauges.  

The floor and cowl section on my 66C Century convertible was donated by a 46R Special...the data plate was swapped as was the ID plate on the door jamb.  The only original part on that car is some of the rear quarter panels.  So is it a "real" Century convertible?

• Haha 3

Very pleasant conversation talking with him on the phone. He isn't at all familiar with Buicks. He changed the ad as soon as he was informed about the modifications to the car. I had quotes for redoing my interior and rechroming my bumpers. Same as his 7,000.00. Hmmmmm. Nice trim strait body, no rust. I guess if I were considering buying it, but I'm not.  I used to say things were too high priced, then I figured out my real problem. I don't have enuff money. Hope he gets a good price. He seems very honest and the car is obviously very nice too. Have a nice holiday and be of good cheer!