Wireless Tail Lights??

CatBird

I have seen wireless tail lights and turn indicators. These magnetically attach to the rear of the car and is controlled by Bluetooth or 2.4ghz. You access them from a remote from as you drive.

These are recharged and don't need to wire from the car and have no need to access 6v pos since these are self-contained. Easily you can change from one car to another. A friend has these, but the company making them went out of business.

Does anyone know the best way to get some of these?

They were suppose to go into production, and there have been problems. They were led with batteries and blue tooth connections. They appeared to work well, I think they had a video on you tube. Check there for their web site. Ed

• Thanks 1

I liked the idea and was on a list to be notified when they were to be available, that was a couple years ago.  I think the business was bought out and no longer making them. It's a pity as it was an ideal solution for some of us with multiple cars. Even if you found a set, where would you get replacement batteries and have them repaired even if you could buy a set?  Hopefully someone else will pick up the ball and produce them again.

Carl

35 minutes ago, Grimy said:

There seem to be wireless turn signals for BICYCLES (google that), but I question whether the Bluetooth connection would have enough range.  I have not investigated or queried the vendor.

The bluetooth on my phone easily reaches my headset over 30 ft through several walls. 

You might have answered one of my questions with your question. I saw a tow truck towing a car and the car had directional and stop lights attached to the back of the car. As I pulled up to it at a stop light, I noticed that there were no wires anywhere. I couldn't figure out how the lights worked, but now you have provided the answer. You might try a company that makes tow truck lighting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grimy said:

There seem to be wireless turn signals for BICYCLES (google that), but I question whether the Bluetooth connection would have enough range.  I have not investigated or queried the vendor.

I have tried the wireless bicycle turn signals on my 1929 Studebaker.   My Studebaker is a sedan with 135 inch wheelbase.   I believe because of the long wheelbase, and enclosed body style, the wireless bicycle turns signals are undependable and do not always activate or cancel.   Perhaps on a shorter wheelbase open model car they might work more dependably.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Huston said:

I have tried the wireless bicycle turn signals on my 1929 Studebaker.   My Studebaker is a sedan with 135 inch wheelbase.   I believe because of the long wheelbase, and enclosed body style, the wireless bicycle turns signals are undependable and do not always activate or cancel.   Perhaps on a shorter wheelbase open model car they might work more dependably.    

Mark, thank you for recounting your experience for our benefit.  Back to the drawing board...

Maybe I should not promote a company here but a friend is making such a wireless turn signal unit.  It is a unit for the rear of the car and a small unit that clamps on the steering column.  It is turn and flashers in the rear only and both are battery operated, work well and can be moved from car to car in a few minutes.  The biggest problem I have with them is that I forget to turn off the outside unit and drain the batteries between usages.  I have them on a 1931 Hupp sedan with 118" WB and they work fine.  They are totally manual so you have to turn them off after a turn but placing the paddle correctly makes this very easy and the beeper reminds me to do it if I forget.

Edited by avantey (see edit history)

Bill,

Perhaps your friend could work at making a set of four turn signals so they also work on the front. Nice looking lights are also a consideration and self cancelling would be icing on the cake. I personally don't see a problem your putting your friends information out there as I for one would be interested in seeing them and finding out the cost. The company that was the initial supplier posted on here with a link to the company.

There are also agricultural wireless turn signals, but like Bill's friends they are only for the rear and most of these are butt ugly. Here are a couple of examples.

https://www.etrailer.com/Agricultural-Lights/Custer/LIW-AGKIT.html

http://www.easyontaillights.com/applications/

https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=23181

Carl

Edited by 1937-44 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Grimy said:

More metal (steel and/or aluminum) to get in the way in a vintage car, but worth a try.  Thanks, Joe!

Yes, you are correct, although the gym where I use my wireless headphones has walls with metal studs - granted not exactly a Faraday cage. I was pleasantly surprised by the range even with this.

23 hours ago, edinmass said:

They were suppose to go into production, and there have been problems. They were led with batteries and blue tooth connections. They appeared to work well, I think they had a video on you tube. Check there for their web site. Ed

I found the video on Youtube, as you suggested. SmartSignals, but they are not returning calls. Seems like a great idea!

Edited by CatBird (see edit history)

I have found some very good setups on Amazon. Rear wireless for two trucks and RV campers. Around $250. They do make rear with turn indicators and brake lights, even turn on driving lights as it gets dark. BUT they are all actuated by plugging a device into your vehicle connector. So you must have a trailer connection wiring on your tow vehicle.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/51068_0016.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiApdPRBRAdEiwA84bo3wIO0zz8UBkHIpGb8l5Fg6bvqYyJ6BOIji80Qm0q7-8xPFL3uHmheRoCZ0IQAvD_BwE

Closer, but not yet - best leave off the blue lights..... 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PVX2D5/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B074PVX2D5&pd_rd_wg=Rugp4&pd_rd_r=QAB9GFQ5P39Q78FY2FRG&pd_rd_w=EQpKT&tag=donations09-20

Somewhere these devices, we need, are being made and sold. We just gotta find them.

17 hours ago, avantey said:

Maybe I should not promote a company here but a friend is making such a wireless turn signal unit.  It is a unit for the rear of the car and a small unit that clamps on the steering column.  It is turn and flashers in the rear only and both are battery operated, work well and can be moved from car to car in a few minutes.  The biggest problem I have with them is that I forget to turn off the outside unit and drain the batteries between usages.  I have them on a 1931 Hupp sedan with 118" WB and they work fine.  They are totally manual so you have to turn them off after a turn but placing the paddle correctly makes this very easy and the beeper reminds me to do it if I forget.

Oh, COME ON and promote them. How about a link?

14 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

My neighbor bought a set of those for his truck. Every time he turns into his driveway I have to go out and close the garage door!

Problem with 2.4ghz signals. Can also interfere with remote phones (not cell phones)

Best would be using Bluetooth 4.0. Better signal strength and lower power needed.

Egypt Garage Elights are turn signals only, one central light, $150, but out of stock right now!

the other system mentioned, Guy was developing, he was going to have them made overseas and ran into all sorts of problems, I too was on the list but nothing ever came of it.

I'd buy a set in a heartbeat, at minimum would want turn signals, but at the end of the bumpers not the middle.  Another handy feature would be a manual button to put both lights on when braking in heavy traffic, if this could be made automatic so much the better...

On 16/12/2017 at 6:49 AM, Mark Huston said:

I accidentally left my cell phone in my parents car once when they were following me somewhere and it managed to maintain a connection between the two cars at 50ft or so... it did get really old listening to the bluetooth system telling me connected/disconnected over and over again though 

• 3 weeks later...

I have not checked back on this thread since before Christmas but I see someone has already found Jim's Egypt Garage eLights I was referring to.  I did say they were turn only in the rear and I know he has looked into a four corner unit but not sure where it went.

23 hours ago, avantey said:

I have not checked back on this thread since before Christmas but I see someone has already found Jim's Egypt Garage eLights I was referring to.  I did say they were turn only in the rear and I know he has looked into a four corner unit but not sure where it went.

I just checked the Egypt Garage site and they only have the two rear lights and these are out of stock. They also do not appear to have any kind of brake lights or reverse lights, asTrimacar has already said.

http://store.theegyptgarage.com/elights-wireless-directional-intention-system.aspx

I did get a set of these and they work great! 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3O63L4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They operate (only on the rear) as huge LED Lights that magnetically attach with very powerful neodymium magnets and have adjustable straps also.

These are wireless and in testing, they kept working when I was 225 feet away with a 30-yard steel dumpster, a 36-foot gooseneck aluminum trailer between me and the lights. I was holding the remote at that distance. Even if your car is chitty-chitty-bang-bang or you want them on the end of a long trailer, they will work!

You can turn on the lights with the remote. Running lights are on and lasted 24 hours continuously - though the literature says "six hours". When they finally die, you are reminded of the remote that they have failed.

From the remote, you can activate turn indicators - self-canceling in 60 seconds, or you can cancel them yourself. Press another and your brake lights come on. Another button and both lights blink in hazard mode. Lastly, another button and very bright reverse lights come on. The reverse lights make a great flashlight as well.

All recharges through a 120v outlet or cigarette outlet in your tow vehicle. All this comes in a sturdy box. Yeah, butt ugly, but they work great! Of course, they use their own batteries, so you don't worry about whether you have 6v pos or neg or 12v car batteries.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, frank29u said:

People with pacemakers should beware of the strong magnets.  The Easy on Wireless Tail Lights have that warning in their instructions.  I would not have thought of this precaution.

It appears that magnet dangers approach being a problem are when neodymium magnets are worn on the person like spherical magnets making a necklace. When removed from the person, problems cease. Seems no permanent damage. But I appreciate your warning. I don't have a Pacemaker.

On 1/5/2018 at 9:25 PM, Grimy said:

Bill, can you please post photos of how and where you attach them to your Pierce?

Grimy, they stick very well with magnets and straps. I plan to strap them to my spare tire since my Pierce is aluminum, but for now here are some stuck to my van. Even though the magnets are quite powerful, I will still use the velcro straps. 

IMG_5053 (1).MOV

IMG_5054.MOV

Thank you, Bill.  When I see you before the PAS Winter Meet, I'd like to see their size and weight for myself, please.  My 1918 Pierce has a trunk and rack on the rear (spares on the driver's door), so I may need to fabricate some quick-detachable brackets to mount the lights.  They certainly serve their purpose of warning people behind us!

For what it's worth, I tried a set of the e-light kits from Egypt garage on my 29 Model A Sedan. Could not ever get them to work properly when hooked up in the car. Worked fine with the remote in your hand standing behind the car but would never reliably activate or cancel when the remote was attached to the steering column. Jim Davis was super nice and sent me a second set and then eventually refunded my money  when we couldn't get it to work. They may work fine on an open car but I think the range just isn't strong enough for a closed car. It is a bicycle turn signal set with nice brackets for mounting the remote and the base.