Brass Era Mystery

W MacDonald

I may have missed something here , but is there anything about your body that definitively links it with a Stoddard Dayton chassis ?  Most of the better quality makes in this era offered a formal body model and many would supply their chassis less bodywork so the customer could install a custom body. 

I may be way off track but I have my doubts you are going to find a Stoddard Dayton chassis . They have been quite sought after since the beginning of the hobby. While nothing is impossible the chance of finding a bodyless Stoddard seems at this point in time to be very remote.  

I would suspect finding any higher quality 1908-1912 chassis is going to be an up hill struggle.  There was a very interesting find in if I recall correctly N.Y. state several years ago here on the forum but the thread fizzled out. If that chassis was recovered it might be just what you are looking for.  It was posted by Catskill123 back in 2012 and was identified as a Rainier. Unfortunately the original poster never followed up on the find and hasn't posted since 2013.

Here is Staver Chicago's 1912 formal body offering, no known survivors.

Greg in Canada

DSC_9045.JPG

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Pictured are the sill plates at the rear doors.  Cast brass.  Now that all of the obviously not Stoddard-Dayton modifications have been removed, what's left is a brass-era limousine body with Stoddard-Dayton sill plates.  While nothing is guaranteed, the logical conclusion is that the body was originally fitted to a S-D.  1912Staver, your observation as to the difficulty of reuniting the body with a S-D chassis may well be accurate.  But from a historical preservation standpoint, that is at least the right place to start.

sill plates.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry , I did miss that detail.  Best of luck with your chassis hunt!  I have been looking for a body for my 1912 Staver chassis for 17 years now. And previous owners for a lot longer than that.  Unfortunately once a person gets away from the larger volume Brass era builders the hunt for missing parts becomes a real needle in a haystack proposition.  And eventually the reality comes home that there is a good chance the needed component simply does not exist.  My chassis will end up as a speedster. It's really the only way to move forward.

Greg 

If I had a Stoddard chassis, it would have long ago become a speedster.............................

regarding 1912 Cadillacs being the first to have electric starters- I should have mentioned well known production car and not obscure makes- my fault...................!