Jump to content

For Sale- Some Rare Franklins 1930,1931,1932 & 1933 others


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Rogerrabbit said:

What are you wanting for the coupe?

$12,500 Its quite complete, motor turns over and would most likely start with some tinkering. I have the rear trunk rack (factory unit) , the bumpers, fenderlights, spare wheels and snap rings ect. This is a VERY Scarce car in a 1932 Franklin. The car has ride control rear shocks, supercharged  ductwork for carburation, free wheeling, rumble seat, and rides on the 132 in wheelbase. The Airman, this model is a full CCCA classic unlike the cheap Franklin with a Reo body the Olympic.   I like trades as well as money if it helps make a deal. Thank you~ Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:18 PM, AC Fuhrman said:

Please tell me about the blue sedan with the black fenders - 3rd photo down I think??

Thanks!

 

Mr Furman, The blue car is a 1931 Franklin 153 Club Sedan , Walker body, series 153 . Its the long wb - 132 inches, Originally a west coast car (Calf) long owned by Pierce Arrow collector back in the day Elliott Atkins. The interior is all original with the exception of the front/rear seat and carpets , they were done by a top notch trimmer 3 months ago. There is 0 rust or corrosion on this car. It was repainted in the 1970s and a new top installed professionally 3 years ago. The motor had rings and valves this fall, bearings inspected, and lower end washed out.  The brakes have been gone through with new wheel and master cylinders.

This car drives straight and smooth. It runs at 55 with ease. Hit the brakes and it stops straight without heading to the ditch. All in all its a great Classic driver. It can sit here until spring in the heated building no charge. All trades considered . Priced @ $37,500. Mike  585 738 1541

008.JPG

007.JPG

004.JPG

010.JPG

023.JPG

012.JPG

31 club sedan seatss.jpg

31 club sedan seats.jpg

002.JPG

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the pictures.

 

Mike,  I have always liked the Franklin's but never owned one due to inexperience with the air cooled concept. An old car acquaintance from my youth had several Franklin's up in South Dakota.  My dad and I mostly played with Buick's .  I've have only one now, but they have proven their dependability and drive ability.  I'm 70 years old now and don't care to do any more projects. I just like driving.  I have put my 28 Master Town Brougham up for sale now. It has a very fantastic history.    Well enough of that .  Again I do like your Franklin's and I agree they should sell to anyone who is serious.    I've had my fill of scammers contacting me on the Buick.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Frank Wilkie said:

Love the pictures.

 

Mike,  I have always liked the Franklin's but never owned one due to inexperience with the air cooled concept. An old car acquaintance from my youth had several Franklin's up in South Dakota.  My dad and I mostly played with Buick's .  I've have only one now, but they have proven their dependability and drive ability.  I'm 70 years old now and don't care to do any more projects. I just like driving.  I have put my 28 Master Town Brougham up for sale now. It has a very fantastic history.    Well enough of that .  Again I do like your Franklin's and I agree they should sell to anyone who is serious.    I've had my fill of scammers contacting me on the Buick.     

Frank , I agree with having my fill on the scammers ... I tell them all the same thing ! Send the a check, camels or anything of value... they hang up. End of phone call.  A 28 Master is a fine car. Don't be in a hurry to sell it. Merry Christmas Frank!

Link to post
Share on other sites

mike,  I noticed that you have a Crest 1 cylinder.  I use to have a 1903 Northern runabout.  It went to Denmark.  I got it from the Pioneer Auto museum in South Dakota.  I have a question about the Franklin automobiles.  As I remember as a young man listening to the Franklins I told you about up in Howard South Dakota ,  the one the owner started up for me seemed quite loud. Is this normal?  I'm just use to the conventional engines that can be very quiet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They may make a bit more noise than a water buggy but not a lot. The valve train may make more noise. Think about the fact there is no water jacket around the cylinders to absorb that noise.

I had a 1932 Peerless Master 8 sedan that I rammed around a few summers that had plenty of wristpin noise. I was always quite careful to run the motor a bit faster or slower than where it rapped. I went to a parade in Wyoming NY with a buddy and we dropped the girls off in Warsaw NY (about 6-7 miles away) while we went to get gas. I had explained to my friend why I was running the car quite conservative (pin noise ect) We stopped at this beer joint called the Cannonball Pub . It was owned by Brock Yates  writer  for Road and Track and Cannonball Run originator  . Long story short , we drank a lot of beer in a short time, Missed the parade  and pissed off the wives . Heading back to Warsaw I was laying into it all she had, That Continental 13K was really rattling but we didn't care, it was much less painful than the rhetoric we had to listen to on the way home.  Today the car is in Long Beach Calf. That's another story...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mikewest said:

They may make a bit more noise than a water buggy but not a lot. The valve train may make more noise. Think about the fact there is no water jacket around the cylinders to absorb that noise.

I had a 1932 Peerless Master 8 sedan that I rammed around a few summers that had plenty of wristpin noise. I was always quite careful to run the motor a bit faster or slower than where it rapped. I went to a parade in Wyoming NY with a buddy and we dropped the girls off in Warsaw NY (about 6-7 miles away) while we went to get gas. I had explained to my friend why I was running the car quite conservative (pin noise ect) We stopped at this beer joint called the Cannonball Pub . It was owned by Brock Yates  writer  for Road and Track and Cannonball Run originator  . Long story short , we drank a lot of beer in a short time, Missed the parade  and pissed off the wives . Heading back to Warsaw I was laying into it all she had, That Continental 13K was really rattling but we didn't care, it was much less painful than the rhetoric we had to listen to on the way home.  Today the car is in Long Beach Calf. That's another story...

The wine Peerless Electric Co. display car you bought from Earl in 1989?

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jeff_a said:

The wine Peerless Electric Co. display car you bought from Earl in 1989?

Yes that's the car. I actually bought 2 Peerless cars from Earl. The second one is in the Northeast Classic Car Museum  today. Earl couldn't sell it and called me to make a deal as he was selling the property where it was stored . It was a 6 cyl , non descript car. The Master 8 had a big roar , but a good Franklin 6 would run the pants off it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, alsancle said:

I'm wondering more about the Master 8.  Mike,  any pictures.  Btw, congrats on selling the coupe.  Hope it went to a good home.

Yes the Franklin is going to a first class collector and restorer of early 1930s CCCA cars .  I have pics of the Peerless when found and after I painted it, but the pictures will need to be scanned into the pc. Ill try over Christmas to get it done and post. Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 years later...
Posted (edited)

Here is the 1932 Peerless Master 8 sedan I restored in the early 1990s. It is a funny story how I came by it. I had just come home from Carlisle PA fall flea market and had a pocket full of money. I sold a car and a truck load of parts. My brother had told me weeks ago about a guy he worked with had  some cars for sale as he was moving soon. Rick knew two of the cars were Nash Metropolitan's but no idea what the others were... So it was Sunday ,I made the call and was invited to come look. The seller "Earl "  let us in a oversized garage pole barn and said everything is for sale. There was the two Metros, a Model B Ford Doodlebug, Alis Chalmers B tractor  and in the corner 2 Peerless cars. I didnt want to look to anxious so I looked over everything else first and the  Peerless cars last. It wasnt long and I owned the 1932. There was a lot of stuff to move so I stayed put and sent my wife home to get the  F250 and the trailer. Within 2 hours the car was loaded and headed home. The other Peerless was a 1927 6 cyl sedan. I eventually bought it also and and resold it to a friend.  Its now in the North East Classic Car Museum In Norwich NY . I painted  my 32   Studebaker  Black Cherry . It was a good car , had a Continental 13K straight 8 motor. I didnt run it too far  or long as the wrist pins rattled  pretty good  after it got warm. It was a a speedy car by any means. Plenty of power , but very gear bound. My 1930 Franklin 7 passenger sedan would run the ass off it on any grade and had better brakes.  The car is in a garage in Calf. now and never heard any more about it. 

Note - The 1932 Peerless  cars were actually leftover 1931 models .  There  was no difference in them. 

Image (15).jpg

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...