To paint or not to paint prior to selling?

Question for the Forum, ladies and gentlemen: If you had a Reatta with bad paint, which is preferable?

1. Repaint it? Upside: it's shiny and new looking. Downside: prospective buyer won't know original condition of body.

2. Stay with ratty paint? Upside: Hey, it's original, even to striping, and prospective buyer can see the car has never been dinged, scratched or spot-painted. Downside: Ratty look sure detracts from curb appeal, especially if you're dealing with non-Reatta types.

Anyone care to weigh in on this issue? Thanks,

Jerry

Have been trying to answer this question myself for some time. Of the few paint shops that I would trust to do the silver,clearcoat and painted black stripes the 2,000..to 3,000 would not be a returnable expenditure to sell the car in todays market. to paint and repark it in the garage, when the paint "isnt that bad" seems to be a bad investment, most serious thought is to keep it garaged drive it occassionally and rethink painting if any major scratches/dings appear, like 2 year old grandson"playing around it" Hank

You know better than that.

Having lost a car to a bad paint job.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> [color:\\"red\\"] DON"T EVEN THINK OF IT!!! </span>

Why don'y you use the new Poll Option??? ?? ????

I been buying and selling cars since 1979, and have had no luck EVER getting any decent money for anything that was'nt all nice and shiny. if you're concerned about someone suspecting body damage, take some photos of the car before you paint it, to use as a reference.

you can only imagine some guy trying to convince his better half to let him get a car he really does'nt need, and it does'nt look good...good luck!! its like trying to sell a house without replacing or repairing a lot of obvious items that people notice. I've had very good luck with "production" paint shops (like "one day" in southern california) with these caveats: take them the paint; strip the car yourself; and be prepared to color sand the car when it comes out of the shop. 90% of people think the car is finished when it comes out of the shop, but it is only halfway there. you can take a $200 black paint job, and with color sanding, make it look like a $2,000 job.

one of my former cars, a '73 pierre cardin AMX, is for sale right now on autotrader collector cars. it is presently in new jersey. that paint job was done by a maaco shop in phoenix, for a cost of $500. I took them the paint (PPG base clear, in the original fresh plum), and then spent 20 hours color sanding the car. between myself and the next owner, it had one ten first places, and 2 best of shows...all that with a maaco paint job for $500 bucks.

There is a good rule of thumb to use here - whatever you spend, you'll get half back (maybe - if the shop really botches it you can lose money).

This is why the salesmen/lots that make money do it on immediate turnover and volume, not repairs. This is difficult to understand for someone who has to always be looking for deals for their personal use but is critical if you goal is selling not keeping.

Have been very deep in this for quite a few years, just Pontiacs and not Buicks, was a platinum judge until I got tired of picking apart nice cars (and could always spot about 20-30 points more off than other judges - and the owners would look sheepish when pointed out - IMNSHO there is only one way to judge platinum).

If you look at the 6 classes from "junqueyard dog" to "better than new" you can always figure that it will cost twice as much to improve one class than it would just to buy a nicer one.

Further, improving one class is easy, two is cost prohibitive, and three has to be a labor of love.

However if you are planning on selling a car, the only positive return you will get is what you can do in a weekend. Major items should only be considered if necessary to make the car salable at all.

Is something like having the nicest home on your block - it only makes financial sense if you never plan on moving. Same-same for cars, particularly collector cars: the only way it makes sense to pour money in is if it's for you, not for someone else.

Consider tires. If it's a 1992 Regal, the bulk of the respondees will only care about round, black, and deep tread. If a Reatta one prospect might put a premium on OEM GT+4s in 215x65x15 only. The next one might want 245x40x17 Kumhos. A third would want Michelin X-Ones in 225x60x16 (all choices found on this board). So whatever you choose, two out of three would not consider it a plus, better to sell for a lower price with something that will last until the buyer gets it home.

Same with paint, upholstery, interior, or any major "improvement"

I'd say it depends on the buyer, and everyone is diff. I'd personally like to paint it myself, however first impression with most folks means alot.

When I lived in CA. I bought and sold classic cars, I had quicker results when I went for the shiny new paint job! (more potential buyers) the true collector may want to see it original. Good Luck.

Guest joereatta

What is color sanding? I am suffering from the same dillema, to paint or not to paint. While not bad from a distance, up close there are fine lines/scratches when viewed in certain light. I was told that they are from the clear coat cracking. Does the clear coat crack like that or was I being sold a paint job??

<span style="font-weight: bold">Paint---The dirty five letter word.</span>

Let's face it, painting a car has a zillion variables. And a Reatta convertible is a special interest car and that means a perspective buyer is gonna be fussy about paint. The Reatta deserves to be painted in the origional basecoat/clearcoat manner. And the prep. will involve removal of <span style="font-style: italic">all</span> trim, both plastic, aluminum, and glass. And that is major undertaking. Since the interior is now open to dirt, the seats should be removed and carpet, dash, etc. masked off from start to finish. And now might be the time to replace the top.

And the list goes on and on. A premium paint job should cost $4000-$5000 and take two weeks to several months.

Moral of the story: After 35 years of collecting and restoring old cars, I have learned the hard way: <span style="font-weight: bold">Pay more in the beginning and purchase a "perfect" car and you save $$$ in the long run and have a higherr quality car than buying a non perfect car and fixing it up.</span>

In your case, JJ, I would either leave it alone or possibly have the worn horizontal surfaces redone, without getting too carried away. Sell it for what you can and chalk it up to a learning experience. smile.gif

Interesting opinions. But academic; just trying to open a new (thought-provoking, hopefully) thread. Was looking at my black Rat, which is due for hood/trunk repaint, and it led me to the topic question, which in turn led to wondering what Forum members think. (Viz-a-viz countless hours of paint stripping, body removal, frame dipping, replating, color sanding, etc., all I can say is, "Been there, done that.")

Jerry

A fella was in need of a paint job, but lacked the money to do an excellent job. A shop agreed to do it for the money that he had, the only condition being that he had to use some thinner so he wouldn't use so much paint. The job was performed, and it looked very good on completion. The painter stored the car outside overnight, before it was completely dry. A storm came up and washed all the new paint off the car. When the painter came outside after the storm, there was a loud clap of thunder, and a voice came out of the clouds and said " [color:\\"red\\"] Repaint, and thin no more". blush.gif [color:\\"blue\\"]

I have an 89 that I bought new. Had a repaint which ended up as replacing all of the plastic (not fenders), mouldings, grill ect with new pin stpipes. It cost a fortune but the results were astronomical!! He did the bumpers over which I didn't like and I had them replaced this spring (same guy-does great work). Have had it to two Buick nationals and it is rated as a Senior Preservation car. I think it may be the only one with this rating but Barney would know??

If any body has any questions, please send me an e-mail (jpiro@mbusa.net)

color sanding involves taking super fine wet-or-dry sandpaper to the just-cured paint. it basically "levels" the paint, removing any imperfections, and orange peel. after this step is completed, buffing is necessary to bring the finish back up. I do not recommend that someone try this yourself if you have'nt done this before, and color sanding will not correct a clear coat which is coming off.

any expensive paint job was had this process completed. this is what gives a beautiful paint job its depth and clarity.

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry:

It's a shame that your black Reatta Convertible doesn't have the tan interior . . . imagine your repaint as the world's only polo green Reatta convertible!!! Hmmmm, of course if your willing to go to the expense of a high quality paint job, what's a couple more grand for the right interior?!!

If it costs five or six thousand to create a one of a kind unique car, you might indeed get your money out of it upon selling. Or you might have something so special that you would sell your other cars and keep it! laugh.gif

Just a thought . . .

Nittany

Nit:

Unfortunately, I've become emotionally involved with the black/burgundy. I think it's the classiest color combination I've ever seen (last one nearly as sexy was the '57 Olds Super 88, black with whorehouse red interior). This car is far from perfect, and I feel guilty neglecting my first love, the Maui blue convertible. I keep looking at the Black Rat, totaling up costs for paint, new top, A/C repair, ABS fix, etc., and know it'll never return the investment. But, God, I love it! This whole Reatta thing is a sickness. Yesterday, I knew I'd spend the money to bring it up to Gorgeous; today, I said it'll be the daily driver, sans restoration. Tomorrow? Who knows. You just have to see a black Reatta convertible with that damn burgundy interior, juiced up with black sheepskins, black dash cover and black floormats...plus 16" chrome Eldo wheels. Did I say it's a sickness...?

Jerry