VIN decoding

Summershandy

This one is still kinda quirks me. I've got my vin down except for one letter that I can't figure out. 

P = (Pontiac Michigan assembly plant)

8 = (8 cylinder engine)

Z = (1954)

A = (?) 

38725 = (production number)

I thought "A" would be an "H" for (hydramatic)?

Maybe "A" is for (automatic?)

:mellow:??

• 1 year later...

I have several 1954 Pontiac Star Chiefs. I love them but despair at the total lack of any model breakdown (other than the number of Chieftains built, Starchiefs buit). I understand that starting in 1955 someone at Pontiac decided to provide more detail. surely in 1954, for example, some one knew how many Catalinas and convertibles were built. It is difficult to understand the virtual dearth of any written information available--can't believe no records were maintained (how would the production folks know how many convertible tops were needed, etc) or why they were purged. Pontiac wasn't a 'Mom-Pop' grocery story--huge manufacturer with much responsibility. I'd love to know if anyone knows any production information. Google searches futile. Then there is the lack of a frame stamping.. I had to have a Colorado State Police VIN inspection and the trooper was determined there had to be a frame stamping (as Cadillac and others) on the passenger side top frame rail. But nothing on Pontiac--just the A pillar and the engine stamping boss--guess Pontiac never considered an engine swap- or didn't care.  Love to hear from another with pertinent information.  thanks, Harland in CO