Tinker's 1917 D45 Christmas wish

Bob Engle

Tinker needs a pushrod and rocker arm to get the car running to deliver Christmas presents.

Pushrod is 11 1/4" long, 5/16" diameter with 1/4X28 tpi.  

Casting # for the rocker arm is 35187,

photos below, any help would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all

Bob Engle

DSCN3711_800x600.JPG

DSCN1336_800x600.JPG

DSCN3692_640x480.JPG

DSCN3690_640x480.JPG

The rocker can be welded up on the face and ground  down.  The Push rod broke off about 1/4" of threads.  The intake valves on this engine are about 5/16" shorter than the exhaust  valves. With the short valve and the worn rocker, the adjustment was out on the end.  The push rods have a  centerdrill hole on the threaded end and the rod broke at the bottom of this drilled hole.  I made a case hardened cap that I put on the valve stem to allow the damaged pushrod to  be used.  I was hoping to  find a spare pushrod from someone.  If I can't find one, I'll have a local machine shop make one for me.  My lathe is not suitble for thread cutting.  Modern alloy steels should work great and I can case harden the ball end.  I don't see a need to harden the threaded end.  

Bob Engle

Bob, I have quite a few 1916 style rocker arms.  These arms do not have the oil wick on the pivot bushing, so they would not be correct for your car's engine.  I have 6 NOS 1916/1917 pushrods.  However, from the description that you gave of what you have they are not like yours.  I will get some photos posted tomorrow to show what I have.  I am wondering if the pushrods on your engine have been changed out at some point in time.  Your photo doesn't look like what I have.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

Terry, I'll weld up the rocker arm as it's  a simple fix.  I am not knowledgeable enough about these cars to see what's correct and what's been cobbled from other parts.  I have not gotten a teens parts manual yet.  My 1930 manual does list some parts back to 1918, but very few.  If your push rods are round on one end and have 1/4X28 tpi on the other  end and are 11 1/4" long I would be interested in one.  I was planning to get one made, but I would want to make a correct correc one.  I do have a photo of a 1916 engine and the push rods appear to look like mine.

Bob

Thanks Terry and Mark.  I'll pass on your offers as my push rods are different than your shown.  I am having some made to duplicate the ones in my engine.

I am curious however to know if the 1917 D45 engine had different valve stem heighths.   My Intake stems are about 5/16" shorter than the exhaust stems.  I suspect that the valves were changed to aome modern altenative.  The shorter stems cause the adjustment to be further out neer the end of the pushrods.

Bob Engle

Thanks Terry.  Looks like my valves were replaced with shorter stem ones.  I have no plans to do anything with the valves as compression is good and consistent across all cylinders.  I believe my push rods are not original also, but I will keep them for now.  All  12 are the same.  

Bob Engle

• 9 months later...
On 12/11/2017 at 9:19 AM, Mark Shaw said:

Bob, These push rods come with the adjustable ball and measure 11.5" to fit into the rockers shown.  Let me know if you can use this combination to get your car going for Christmas deliveries.5a2ebe0e8e418_BuickPushRodsandrockers.thumb.jpg.d4950b586abd51bf3c25c7aaaffaf5a4.jpg

Mark does your rockers have the oil wicks?