exhaust pipe

rjp

Is there a company that has the correct exhaust pipe for a 26. I look at the drawings it don't help me much and my source cannot put the correct bend in the pipe and I do not know for sure that the old pipe I have is correct either. Drawing no.47699,or 31737 thanks

Waldron Exhaust claim they can make them

http://waldronexhaust.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_38&products_id=289

but apparently they aren't mandrel bent, but are push bent, so don't get the right bends on them. They are about an hour down the road from me, and so I have been thinking of going down there with the drawings to see what they say about it, but I'm also considering attempting to make my own by using the "fill the pipe with sand" method to get bends that aren't collapsed like push bending does to them.

Roger

28 minutes ago, 29 franklin said:

I have bought the pipe from Waldrons for my 29 It did not fit well . We had to rebend ,cut the flanges loose and weld them back on in the right spot.  

So perhaps I won't bother going down to see them, but rather just go with my idea of trying to bend them myself - which sounds like a whole lot more fun too ;-)

I know there's no one here in Grand Rapids that can do mandrel bending apparently having asked around at various places

Roger

If you call Keith Kilmer the head of Franklin club projects , he might be able to point you in the right direction. I think the club has had mandrel bent pipes done for later models. Not 100% sure though. Also Jeff Hasslen  might be able to help. I know he is closer to you . Just some thoughts  Jim

The 2 drawings that I referred to (47699 and 31737) seem like difer from each other. almost looks like one follows the frame then bends out for the muffler, but I cant tell for sure. Not like the one that I took off but the one I took off aint to good and can not tell if its original or not.

47699 was drawn in 1929 as a spare part, and they must have had some reason to create the different bend - it just goes down lower and then raises back up - like it's to clear something - perhaps to give more clearance under the handbrake bracket that is under the car.

But the dimensions of 47699 and 32592 are the same when it comes to the relative positions of the two flanges.

My Series 11A doesn't have the original pipe on it (it's too small in diameter), but it is shaped like 32592, and there's not a whole lot of room where it goes through the handbrake bracket, so the dip down, while more complex to make, might be a better fit.

Roger

If you are going to have new pipe made, I have had some flanges made to the drawing 31358 and have some spares.  They are made of ⅜" steel, and plasma cut to the right shape. They cost me $11 each and I can send them to you for that plus the cost of postage if you want a couple.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, I would seriously consider beefing up the diameter of the tailpipe - they tend to be a little small on the Series 14 and I assume the same goes for all the earlier and later Series too.  I never gave it much thought, but people would drive our Series 14 and then start trying to figure out why it had more power than most - they were quick to find it had original exhaust and the original tailpipe was larger than the norm @ 2" diameter.  I will not mention owner's name, but there is a maroon and silver  1930 147 Roadster w/2" tailpipe and I was impressed with his car too.  I would say a good 5mph more on top end and definite power increase through all speeds.

If you are lucky enough to have a custom exhaust and muffler shop in your area that services street rods and custom cars, many of them have the capability to mandrel bend pipes or at the very least assemble and weld full diameter pipes to the required specifications. Been there - Done that!!!

I went to several places here in Grand Rapids with no success :-(

The best I could come up with was places that make headers by cutting and welding many many bends together, but everyone I asked said there was no one in the area with a mandrel bender that could do what I was looking for.

André Audette has shared some magazine article that showed how to fill a pipe with sand and then heat it and bend it without collapsing it - I think I might be going to give that a go to see if I can make a new front pipe at least since that is very simple.

Roger