Early US 89 scene

RimrockRandy

Howdy, I am working on a long-term project to describe and document the early years of US Highway 89 from Nogales, Arizona, to Piegun, Montana. As you know, it was designed an official numbered US highway in 1926.  This photo shows the "state-of-the-highway" near Cameron, Arizona, 53 miles north of Flagstaff.  I know many of you will recognize and ID this vehicle in mere moments.  I look forward to the information you may care to share.  THANK YOU, John Parsons, Idaho Falls.

89cameron.jpg

Edited by RimrockRandy
deleted my own guess as to make/year. (see edit history)

Thanks, Curti & Larry! It really helps putting the date at 1930 (or later). For almost the first three years of US 89's existence, the only way to cross The Colorado River was by a very precarious, nearly inaccessible ferry at Lees Ferry.  What's now The Navajo Bridge opened to traffic in January 1929 and was officially dedicated in mid-June '29. Seeing a car such as a 1930 Buick travel this highway in 1930 (or later) would be credible.

89NB_3.jpg

Thanks, Spinneyhill.  The photo is very grainey so it's difficult to determine what the word is below the numbers.  It may or may not be "Arizona".  There is an excellent online resource for Arizona license plates here: http://www.azplates.com/  Note that the 1929 through 1935 numbers were all in italic lettering.  So, that makes me think it's not an Arizona plate.  Beyond that point, it could any one of a number of various states, hence my interest in ID-ing the make and year.  THANK YOU!

2017-12-09_1420.png