Antique Auto Battery still in business?

dpeeler

I hope their still in business--they have my money , just waiting for delivery--I went through the same problem , but talked to him at Hershey , then called--everything worked like it should--got the impression it's a small business, like a one man shop--

• Like 1

Yep, they are advertising and even have a recorded message when you call either number. But..... there is absolutely no response at all! A courtesy of message back at least saying we're closed or busy would help. I know if you or I treated our clients/customers that way we'd have none after awhile.

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I just saw an Antique Auto Battery banner ad at the top of this forum yesterday...

That ad could have been prepaid for a certain period of time. Last year around this time I had ordered a 6 volt Delco for my 53 Chevy 150, and it was backordered for months after they charged my card for the full amount. After a few months with no contact I finally had to ask for a refund which they indeed had done. Good luck, I hope they are still in business I hate to see any of our valued suppliers close up shop for any reason.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Recently bought a couple of their batteries and both took about 4 to 5 weeks for delivery. Quality was superb so I figured it was worth the wait. I can't say I ever had issues reaching them on the phone. About two years ago I needed one of their Willard batteries for a MB Jeep and was in a rush. Jeep parts vendor stocked their batteries, but I paid $40.00 more for it. You may want to check a parts vendor of your vehicle type if you're pushed to get one.

Rick - That's exactly the battery I was looking for. The last one I bought from them was 12 years ago and it lasted this long in my MB...go figure! I'm not in a big hurry, just awfully frustrated that there is no response. If I don't hear from them soon, I will try one of the Jeep suppliers. Thanks 

I was wondering if it was for your MB. I one I restored that needed that Willard showed with you at Spring Charlotte these last two years, so I recognized your name. Your MB is very well done! That battery I bought came from George Baxter at Army Jeep Parts, so there would be a great place if you need to go that route. Good luck!

I purchased a 6 volt battery from Antique Auto Battery to replicate the stock battery in my stock '51 Chevy.

Not inexpensive.

I always  use a Battery Tender for my 6 volt and my 12 volt batteries.

After less than one year, the Antique Auto battery was dead, would not hold a charge.

I took the battery back to Antique Battery, they would not honor their warranty.

Antique Auto Battery told me the battery was not "defective", instead they stated I did mot maintain the battery with a trickle charger.

But I did.

Bought a new 6 volt battery from TRACTOR SUPPLY, all is well with the new battery ...... and the Battery Tender.

That "new" battery has been fully charged for two years now.

• Like 1

Battery tender makes several models. You need to make sure that the battery tender was designed for gel batteries not lead acid as the charging volt rate is different and a lead acid charging device will “cook” as I love to say a gel battery.

i have always used 12 and 25 watt Granite chargers as they sense the voltage necessary that the battery needs.

The Central Tractor battery is a lead acid I suspect so the tender will do well

This issue gets very complicated very quickly!

Robert

Edited by Robert Street (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Robert Street said:

Battery tender makes several models. You need to make sure that the battery tender was designed for gel batteries not lead acid as the charging volt rate is different and a lead acid charging device will “cook” as I love to say a gel battery.

i have always used 12 and 25 watt Granite chargers as they sense the voltage necessary that the battery needs.

The Central Tractor battery is a lead acid I suspect so the tender will do well

This issue gets very complicated very quickly!

Robert

The battery  I purchased from Antique  Auto Battery was not a gel battery. It was a reproduction of the 6 volt DELCO battery.

21 hours ago, Robert Street said:

I have three of their batteries and a friend that I show with in AACA has 4 of them. All "look" like old lead acid but actually are gel batteries inside the case that absolutely no water should be put in.  I didn't know their old 6 volt style was made with plates and acid.

Robert

Yes, the 6 volt DELCO replica was made with plates and acid.

• 2 months later...

Sent my 1 year old bad battery back middle of November. This after following guidelines given per phone calls. After it was sent back I had to call many times to find out status. Finally I was told they were sending replacement. This was right around Christmas. I never got it. Have called many more times and was told it was lost during shipping and they would send another and would call with tracking numbers, still waiting on that call. I keep calling. leaving messages and hoping. Right now I am out purchase price and shipping and the cost of shipping back, close to $350. I also filed a complaint with local Better Business Bureau and they did not respond to letter they sent...Restoration Battery gets their batteries from Antique Auto Battery...

Edited by Nomadness (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I hear that May 14, 2018 that there will be a reopening under Jim's Battery Manufacturing Co. The former owner of the company had to retire for heath reasons and someone else has bought the business and the new owner is opening under the Jim's Battery Manufacturing Co. name.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mark McAlpine

I just spoke with The Parts Place and asked about the status of the R-59 reproduction battery I ordered on 14 February (after finding out Reproduction Battery was out of business and Antique Auto Battery appeared to be out of business).  The Parts Place relayed basically the same info "jabaman" relayed above, but they said it was "Bill's Batteries" (but maybe just remembered the name incorrectly).  Bottom line is they said Bill's (or Jim's) expects to start shipping the back-ordered batteries in 2-3 weeks and will work their way through existing orders in order of the dates they were originally ordered.  Doesn't help me in time for the Grand National Meet next week, but with luck I'll receive my battery in the next month or so.  I'll post again when I receive it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Jim's Battery Mfg. neither answers their phone or returns calls. My guess is they are a small business unable to keep up with demand (only co. producing repro batteries). I was only able to reach them by email which they would return to string you along. Waited months for battery with no luck. When you call message states "all agents currently helping other customers" . I do not believe there are ANY agents on any lines (a bit of a scam).

I went to Chevrolet and purchased a current Delco (last one lasted 21 years on a tender in a "62 Vette). In my opinion reproduction batteries are no longer available and as an NCRS master judge point deductions should be limited due to this fact