Peerless Headlight Question

Hudsy Wudsy

Did you see the discussion of this car on the Cars For Sale Forum? George Smolinski had a thread started on 11/18/17  about the same car and its headlights. There are only 7 known Peerless Standard Eight/Model A cars, 3 of which are for sale.

• the one in British Columbia; owner ¨Doug 30 peerless¨ here on the AACA Forums; was for sale at 27,500 USD in a January Peerless Forum post w/ photos; probably restored 10 years ago; red and black
  • the one in Washington is listed by: www.ronsusser.com for $46,900; many photos on that site; recent partial restoration; dove grey or off-white 
  • the one above in Minnesota; $12,500; featured in October 2014 Old Cars Weekly; drives; was blue, currently sports a black paint job

I talked to an owner in north-central MIssouri today and asked him to look up the make and model of the headlights on his. Maybe he will add to the discussion.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have some cross-reference data for some things like electrical parts shared by different carmakers, but nothing telling me size, make and model of Peerless Standard Eight headlights. Maybe someone else has an interchange manual that does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeff_a said:

I have some cross-reference data for some things like electrical parts shared by different carmakers, but nothing telling me size, make and model of Peerless Standard Eight headlights. Maybe someone else has an interchange manual that does.

Jeff,  I wouldn't be surprised if the correct headlights were a huge challenge to find, something that might take years to locate -- if ever. Nevertheless,  I might consider being the next custodian of this fine auto if I could come up with a respectable substitute. If you could point me in the direction that I might go to find a little information about the size and brand of lights, I would be truly grateful.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/7/2017 at 2:28 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Jeff,  I wouldn't be surprised if the correct headlights were a huge challenge to find, something that might take years to locate -- if ever. Nevertheless,  I might consider being the next custodian of this fine auto if I could come up with a respectable substitute. If you could point me in the direction that I might go to find a little information about the size and brand of lights, I would be truly grateful.

I just heard from Ed Fallon, the seller, today. He determined that the 1930 Peerless Standard Eight uses Twilite headlights(and the two bigger Peerless models use Tiltrays). He located and fitted some....and the straight 8 car has sold to a Hong Kong buyer.  That makes 4 in the States, and one each in Denmark, Canada, and China. Ed sent me this photo of what the car looks like with the right units up front, along with a cryptic reference to it being his ¨Elliot Ness car¨. No real Ness connection...except that the last Peerless off the assembly line in November, 1931 belonged to Cleveland Chief of Police George Matowitz, whose boss at one time was Public Safety Director Elliot Ness.

IMG_7307 (1).JPG

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)