alsfarms

Locomobile Model L engine in rebuild

Got it... do a search on Starbolt Engine Supplies.

If you have a problem finding it I'll try to find it and sent from my work computer. I've no idea what is wrong with this one but it isn't worth paying someone to fix and I pretty much hate electronics.

jp

• Like 2

Hello Joe and Mike,  Thanks for being a team on this.  Starbolt looks like an excellent source for unusual parts!  I will study them out and give them a call.

Al

• Like 1

This is just an observation on my part but I think that doing brass car work, as we are, has a lot more in common with antique machine tools and engines than it does with conventional "car" work. Long before I could afford to buy the Mitchell (which was only possible because I inherited some money fro my late father) I started on my machi8nes - actually the lathe that is in so many of my photos. It stood outside for 15 years and was literally rusted into a solid lump. Only someone with no other choice would have undertaken it but I had the time and I couldn't afford a better machine so I started on it - not having any idea if I'd ever finish. I learned a lot from that. I then did a small Brown & Sharp horizontal miller and my hack saw (which was also outside with the lathe). If it's possible to resurrect machines like that, cars, (which are generally nowhere near as precise) may be a challenge but are never impossible.

• Like 2

Hello Terry, 

During the Locomobile engine rebuild, I also ordered copper crush gaskets from Restoration Supply.  That business is great and very helpful.  We are lucky to have that business supporting our antique automobiles and this hobby.  They just didin't have the best sized crush gasket available so I thought I would try to locate a better fitting gasket before I start to run the car on the road.  I also have a spare engine that I would like to have a set of good fitting gaskets on.  What is the latest on your Wisconsin engine and casting projects?  You are probably enjoying the summer break.

Regards,

Alan

• Like 1