Locomobile 1909 Model L Restoration

alsfarms

The brass support/stay rods, for my application do not run forward to the headlamp fork area but drop straight down vertically.  My 1912 Model T Ford uses the stay rods that run on an angle down to the front to support the windshield.  More on this subject when I get the windshield frame home, mount the original hinges, build a wooden base plate, mount to the body, then I will actually see where the support rods will need to mount.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

More good news and an update....  An acquaintance and fellow Locomobile owner kept his eye open for a cast Brass hubcap for me.  Bless his heart, as a result of his help, I will soon have a clean cast brass front hubcap so I can drop out the lesser of my front  hubcaps that I currently have in favor of using a better cap.  Now if I can do the same thing and find an original cast brass rear cap that is better that one I have, (that needs plenty of love in order to use on my Locomobile).  Keep your eyes open for me please.

Al

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a couple of pictures of the "NEW" original cast brass front hubcap just received as a result of some help from fellow Locomobile owner Stewart T.  I can now choose between three original front hubcaps.  It is good to have the right original parts!  Picture one.

Al

ACtC-3ceH-hlM6rcSO9BS8qATlWX_kl82oMaSwXPs12kNqoC4CTljqJM2fE5lx6jnmMDDhVLM0mvVJo04mVUCTQS3LdcZPLTuLuMlwsKkn4UO-0Lfpphk7nr_IIdAjg7BjcveE--wfju28uHOwRf2GiCEhD0=w683-h910-no.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I lacked a tail light bracket and noticed this one that was available from another collector.  I completed a deal and now have what I lacked.  I am impressed in that this bracket is the same design and will match my side lamp brackets perfectly.  Here it is.

Al

ACtC-3eK6PvB2lno-kUtU9E7DuQbtIoQMXP_5iQF-TF4xZGytMBayl0JrlN6IvOh3-pBKZCJRh4D8g0I7ano24Hm6Ilf-F2K2ojaONK-OoSx5caW3r7g5iQ3lJVDPmbb8ooHLdvUqDWwJQziJgF-ebDuENYp=w683-h910-no.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone have good pictures of brass spare tire side-mount pieces?  I would like to gather up some ideas for positioning and installation of my brackets.  I am particularly interested in how to mount the upper front tire bracket as my Locomobile has an aluminum skin covering the cowl section of the body.

Al

Al,

While I can't speak to a Locomobile in particular, on some cars the upper spare tire bracket mounts to the bottom of the seat section that hangs out over the frame.The bottom mounts to the running board. This positions the tire outside the shifter.

• Like 1

Hello Al,  You are spot on with your thoughts.  I may end up getting a new casting for the bottom that mounts to the running board, I have the bottom of the seat bracket and the tire bracket for the back side of the tire.  I am just trying to get ideas on what may be the best approach to mount the front tire bracket and attach the mounting bracket to the cowling or firewall in an "unclumsy/awkward" way.  The next level to this situation is leaving room for mounting the Rushmore carbide generator.  I will post a factory picture showing the right side of my Locomobile and what I would like to replicate as far as the spare tire bracketry.  (Sorry about the glass reflection)

Al 

image.jpeg.ead6074ad992a8806c2c6dd2026c7e27.jpeg

• Like 1

In this case, I believe it would be wise to have a cross piece in your body cowling from the dash to the wood surrounding the opening, notched and fastened in place with screws to hold it fast in position. The spare tire mounting would then be fastened through the aluminum skin and this piece of wood so that no pressure would be on the aluminum skin alone. All the vibration and stress would be absorbed by the cross piece and the pieces it would be fastened to on each end. As they say, a picture is better than a thousand words.

In fact, many bodies of your type have such a piece mounted in that position to support the cowling.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 2

hmmmm,  I will take a picture of the structure of my cowling and determine if a mounting support was built into the body during the building process or if I need to make a modification to support the front mounting bracket.

Al

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 5:45 PM, alsfarms said:

Hello Al,  You are spot on with your thoughts.  I may end up getting a new casting for the bottom that mounts to the running board, I have the bottom of the seat bracket and the tire bracket for the back side of the tire.  I am just trying to get ideas on what may be the best approach to mount the front tire bracket and attach the mounting bracket to the cowling or firewall in an "unclumsy/awkward" way.  The next level to this situation is leaving room for mounting the Rushmore carbide generator.  I will post a factory picture showing the right side of my Locomobile and what I would like to replicate as far as the spare tire bracketry.  (Sorry about the glass reflection)

Al 

image.jpeg.ead6074ad992a8806c2c6dd2026c7e27.jpeg

It looks as though the spare tire bracket mounts to the floorboard riser.

• Like 2

hmmm, with further study, It looks like the front bracket could be a one piece casting.  I have a couple of pieces that could be used to make this front bracket a two piece unit.  I may assemble the parts I have and clean them up and use it as a pattern to have a new one piece cast up.  Decisions decisions...

Al

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is another item that has been purchased for use on the Locomobile. This latest purchase is an early brass Warner clock to match the 80 mph Warner Autometer for use on the Locomobile.  If you have had good experience with a clock/instrument restorer, -please share a reference.  As you can tell from the attached pictures. The face of the clock needs to be tuned up to match the quality and appearance of the Autometer.

Al

Warner Autometer

ACtC-3dtQIiLxUnbqRenT5dEkl8Zr6nETYSu9R6w2i-KDXchY9WW8VtFfb6n_Vx85dm8Uw_We34u0RHgnFhutaGLdBIJeEy1Gi7IFGSJC3iO1QTRuHmXXw0zbhk_B818Abn0ZTG647bMBp2pjfssis1U2bL6=w683-h910-no.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On another subject.  I was lucky enough to locate and purchase an original 1909-1910 Locomobile 30 and 40 Instruction Book.  I am very happy with this purchase.  However, when I opened it up to read and study this book for relevant information, I learned sadly that a few pages right out o the center of the book are missing.  It looks like the binding staples lost hold on the center pages and they fell out of the book.  Now what to do!  I really wanted the information to use as a guide as I complete the restoration on the 1909 Locomobile.  I advertised with zero response.  I am sure that not very many of this Instruction Book even exist among collectors.  I then was referred to the Bridgeport Public Library, as they have a huge archive of Locomobile literature.  I spoke with a very kind and helpful Librarian who was able to share photocopies, on a CD, of the complete Locomobile 1909-1910 Instruction Book.  I now can find a good source to match the paper as well as possible and complete my original Book.  I will post a couple of pictures from the center of the original Instruction Book showing what pages are missing and also a cover shot of the Instruction Book, in case anyone here may be interested in a copy.  Questions or observations please.....

Al

1909-1910 Locomobile Instruction Book cover picture

ACtC-3cLx8oXNRj5vo2TsNvn3NulVWozWrnh9ByE9iGYEr9zUKbEFjax8dZdNwoWN92_o_7SA9WgnStKjVHyDfbXImIKfNM-R9YAoVUaZ1qXuiND2vtPjbUNVNLdM2AMGLyvGFsrf3fbnCynvcgybECNpDM9=w683-h910-no.jpg

• Like 1

Right hand page number, (page 47), from the center of the book, just before the missing pages.   I count 8 pages of information that are missing.  The way books are laid out I think I need the center 2 leafs.  Do you agree?  I will try to gather pictures from the CD, I now have, and post images of the missing information.  Many thanks to the Bridgeport Public Library!

Al

ACtC-3ccr6oya3RnVeB2Fjs5bT-d53WgohbLhn8w52krnQavRDi0bx_XSV0wHRhKsyg_kRw9YFbUHB1vywR-Cwdee_AqvqHwsLR7_fUZ1d03_RGS6y_nPriKNlxKIJmqMFXFBlxvJOE811QngoTDUfhH-UyN=w1214-h910-no.jpg

Edited by alsfarms
clarity of thought (see edit history)

Yes,  I was very happy to purchase a service handbook that relates directly to my model Locomobile.  Then when I got possession of it and evaluated...I learned that the middle of the book had come loose and had fallen out to be lost.  Then I got in touch with the Bridgeport Public library as they have a huge archive of Locomobile literature and they have been most helpful.  I have one more need and when that need is resolved I should have a complete Service handbook!  Yahoo....

Al

That is a good question!  During my conversations with the Historical side of the Library, I got no hint that they keep, in stock, a variety of papers and do custom printing.  I will check around for sources and hope to find some matching or nearly matching paper before I get to the reprint stage.  If I can find the correct paper stock or something real close, I will not only print my missing pages but print up a couple of complete Service Manuals for others that may like or need a copy a copy.

Al

Al,

Restoration of archival material is part and parcel of archival libraries. Whether they do it in house or farm it out is the question. Since they gave you a copy of the missing pages, they either farm this work out or since you didn't ask, they didn't know this is what you seek. The good news is, with the information they provided you can not only repair your book, but also print copies for others. I find people rarely offer provide answers to questions not asked, so I say, ask a multitude of questions.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It has been a long, hot and dry summer.  Not much real time has been available to invest in restoration of the Locomobile Toy Tonneau.  However, thanks to another Locomobile enthusiast, I was able to purchase a recast Trophy that signifies the Locomobile victory at the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup race.  It will certainly add a finishing touch to my Locomobile.  As I understand it, these Trophy Radiator Ornaments were only available for a couple of years from Locomobile.

Al

ACtC-3dWi_YHVWOQ7YXuHdWgvE1KK964dhQ7-BXz6Pg7Kbto2_sZ467WyZxamE5YGp08x1FSxkN9O5_I7xX_4q6Bio8zS6WJzk1S-fq41Htu9yAqO30ZqlXDpsx2DUTckJInpfKcVAip3BkrEBKoUsVbLM6R=w683-h910-no.jpg

Edited by alsfarms
spelling and clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Al,

That's a nice piece. What a great opportunity for you. It is such a shame you have not been able to make any progress with your car. These are such a great marquis yet so many languish in pieces and parts or forgotten in barns or garages. One would think Locomobiles were not a very good car, otherwise more would be restored and driven. Or perhaps the prestige of ownership far outweighs the joys of driving.

I'm guessing the cup detaches from the base and is similarly attached to the radiator cap?

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to be in the right place and the the right time to acquire this original 1909-13 Locomobile Model L hood assembly.  While not near perfect this hood is good enough to restore and place on a project.  The nice thing about this hood is it shows some paint stripping details that will be great to use as I paint, detail and finish the new hood I had built for my current Locmobile several years ago.  This hood will be used on a second project.  Notice the car number stamped into the hood. 

Picture one

Al  

ACtC-3cQJ1nrG0fioJHuvlMTBTGFGesq17DqDuXYa4_Msg5FJUJrnpnEPIq0gKArBbxc5uA-1Tn3WnfexhXN6eKK-ZzAWu6UdCgN3fXI0dMI-PkxEB216YhdNUwnOZhmwS9xDNu667M2BVQPG-0fVk8m1ure=w683-h910-no.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have been looking for an early 4" OD Jones speedo to match the Jones Locomobile script tachometer, purchased from another Locomobile owner.  I think I have located and just purchased one of these Jones units.  Wish me luck.  I will post a picture when I receive it.

Al

• Like 4