alsfarms

Locomobile Model L engine in rebuild

Hello John,  Thanks for the reference to John Fitzpatrick.  Is is very knowledgeable about the replacement Zenith carbs.  He an I are in a discussion about his carburetor alternative.  My Locomobile engine is just a bit larger than what he suggests the Zenith carb. is designed for.  It should still be a good choice as the "T" head is a low RPM engine especially when comparing against other engines.  I will make other updates here if something comes of this carburetor talk.

Al

• Like 1

John,  John F. does not have a real good solution for my project as the Locomobile is of a larger CID than what Zenith builds a carburetor for currently.  Back to the drawing board for a Carburetor resolution.  I will post a few pictures of where I have been and what I now currently plan to rebuild for use on the 300 CID Locomobile engine.  First, is the Original Locomobile Carburetor, (all brass).  Second, is an early all cast iron Carter BB-1 ( a bit undersized).  Third,  is an older Zenith 63AW-11, (NOS) proper CID sized but physically to large to fit into my space available.  Fourth, is the latest generation and larger Carter BB-1 289-SD and proper sized for the 300 CID Locomobile.  This carburetor number four is my current choice to spend time on to make my engine perform as good as possible.  Later it is my intent to refurbish the original Locomobile carburetor and make it a runner also.

Al

IMGP3753.JPG

IMGP3756.JPG

Zenith 63AW-11.jpg

DSC01920.JPG

Next in line with the manual hand pump to build pressure is the dash pressure gauge,  This gauge allows the driver to verify that the fuel pressure system has enough pressure (but not to much) in order to push fuel up to the carburetor.  The pressure is generally set at 2 PSI.

Al

DSC01909.JPG

Next in order to start a car, that does not have a working gravity system do deliver the fuel to the carburetor, is the hand pump.  The hand pump should only be used to build the initial pressure, at the gasoline tank, and used to get the car started.  After that point the rest of the fueling system should take over and provide the needed 2 PSI to keep the fuel under pressure and moving toward the carburetor.  This is the hand pump, all brass.  I am currently trying to decide where to locate and mount the pump for the best appearance and convenience.  Any ideas from those of you that are using a hand pump?

Al

DSC01912.JPG

Edited by alsfarms
correction (see edit history)

The next piece of the pressurized fuel system for the Locomobile is a Gray-Hawley pressure regulating valve.  The attached pictures show this unit and shows how to plumb it into the fuel system.  It allows for a source of compressed air to be pulled from an engine cylinder then reduced to the working pressure of 2 PSI that will be routed to the fuel tank.  This unit also has provision for a cooling circuit that pulls cooling water from the radiator system.  The third option on this unit is to allow for a charge of priming fuel to be made available to the cylinder for starting.  By cooling down the compressed cylinder air it is safe to send the 2 PSI air to the tank to force fuel to the carburetor.  This is a very interesting piece of early engineering to accomplish getting fuel to the carburetor with really no moving parts other that the reciprocating motion of a cylinder.

Al

GetAttachmentThumbnail (2).jpg

DSC01910.JPG