alsfarms

Locomobile 1909 Model L Restoration

Back to the idea of wheel restoration for the Locomobile.  The wheels all have new wood.  Here is a question.  Would I be wise to soak these wheels in boiled linseed oil before any further work is done to swell the wood and, in my way of thinking, keep the wheels tight for many years to come?  What experience have you had preserving wooden wheels before paint?

Al

• Like 1

If the wheels are new, they are unlikely to absorb much oil. You could try something like lemon oil. It is lighter than linseed oil. Generally, new wood does not need oil, only aged wood. So if you paint your wheels now, you might need to strip them 30 years from now to oil them.

• Like 1

Here is a before picture of what my Locomobile had for wheels when I started.  Look close and you can pick out the spokes for one of the rear wheels and part of the fello.

Al

AF1QipPDM4TLVdAo8CXtdebQ_5RZsCfXGl_PG0TXFdFc=s512-p-qv=pqpl78id88m0p6v9tvthe3tg509c5elf1,m=81dbfb1a1ef31da27e85eef301a32a5c,x=,t=25-iv5794.jpg

• Like 1

Here is an after picture which included building the steel fello bands and all new wood for wheels.  This picture is of one of  the rear wheels.  I still need to drill for the brake drums and mounting of the demountable/detachable Firestone rims.

Al

DSC02090.JPG

• Like 1

Al, you should have restored the wheels you had. If none of the wheels were worse than the one you pictured, those were totally restoreable. All you need is a few dowels and some epoxy. Totally doable.

Was that cam out of your motor?

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 2