SOLD! 1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car $7500

Nice car. I think these '70s luxury cars are The Next Big Thing and values are inching up pretty steadily. We just sold a '77 with 58,000 miles and had multiple suitors fighting over it. We got about $12,000 for it just last month. Hopefully some of those buyers will spot your car and step up--no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a similar number, especially with a sunroof car. I might politely recommend some photos with the headlights closed so buyers know they work properly. That and the A/C are things that scare people away from these cars. Good luck!

007.JPG.50017d1b5aeff593ca37e1328df51fed.JPG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Nice car. I think these '70s luxury cars are The Next Big Thing and values are inching up pretty steadily. We just sold a '77 with 58,000 miles and had multiple suitors fighting over it. We got about $12,000 for it just last month. Hopefully some of those buyers will spot your car and step up--no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a similar number, especially with a sunroof car. I might politely recommend some photos with the headlights closed so buyers know they work properly. That and the A/C are things that scare people away from these cars. Good luck!

007.JPG.50017d1b5aeff593ca37e1328df51fed.JPG

Thanks Matt. There is no sunroof and the ac runs but doesn’t blow cold, so it doesn’t work right. I do plan on adding more photos. Thanks!

Values are inching up pretty steadily ?? I didn't know we belong to a group of investors where it is important to know that values are inching up or down .I am sure that balloon will one day explode and instead of  values going up they will tumble down much faster than they went up .I never thought to buy a car as investment i only bought because i had memories from that specific model or i couldn't buy it when i was much younger .These days you pay more for a VW bus than for a house ...to crazy for words .

But i wish the seller form the Lincoln a good sale in anyway .

34 minutes ago, daniel boeve said:

Values are inching up pretty steadily ?? I didn't know we belong to a group of investors where it is important to know that values are inching up or down .I am sure that balloon will one day explode and instead of  values going up they will tumble down much faster than they went up .I never thought to buy a car as investment i only bought because i had memories from that specific model or i couldn't buy it when i was much younger .These days you pay more for a VW bus than for a house ...to crazy for words .

But i wish the seller form the Lincoln a good sale in anyway .

If you're indeed telling the truth, then you are the very first guy I've ever met in this hobby who didn't expect his car to be more valuable next year than it is this year. Congratulations!

• Like 1

Well , I will stand up and vouch for Daniel's truthfulness and direct transparency. I know him from Cadillac & LaSalle Club , and have enjoyed a telephone and email friendship with him. A fine European Gentleman about my age from Belgium with wonderful "Old World" sensibilities. Among his automotive interests , he and I are Cadillac and Mercedes-Benz enthusiasts. He is considering a bit of "churn" in his fleet. Last we talked , he was thinking of adding another M.B. I hope he doesn't object to me suggesting opening up P.M. friendship with him if some of you are so inclined. However , I doubt he wants to be flooded with a tidal wave of #3 190Ds for sale. He might be receptive to something rather special.   - Carl 

• Like 1

I am glad that carl defends my opinion .You guys seem to forget what happened around 2008 with the booming of the house prices .People took  to big loans thinking next month i can sell my house with a big profit .It started a worldwide recession and banks going broke all over the world .This can easily happen again with the speculation on classic cars .If you think you can buy a VW bus ( big thin can ) for more $$ than for a decent house and think you will make a profit next month well i don't know and i will not do it.And if on top you have to loan money in the bank to pay for your big thin can and then you have a family and children well in my eyes this is criminal because the children will be the victims in the end .Down here in Belguim i don't know anybody who will ask for a loan in the bank to buy a classic car .And the bank will refuse it also .

Excuse me for getting away from the start of this topic and i hope the lincoln gets sold for a good price to take care for the father who kept it this long .

• Like 2

There is a valid non-"investor" reason for knowing the approximate recent sales prices and price trends.  This information is highly useful in setting an asking price and to determine how much latitude to use in price negotiation.

I avoid people whose main focus of collector car ownership is tracking the price of their car.  You run out of things to talk about pretty fast.  Like others here, I believe it's a hobby to be enjoyed first and foremost. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some info and better pictures of the Lincoln:

1979 Lincoln Town Car Continental $7500
My father was a car collector and took very good care of his cars. Less than 62k miles. Mechanic has gone through it and it runs and drives great. Very straight and in excellent condition for its age. Fully optioned including heated mirrors w/thermostat, auto lights, windows, powers seats, factory CB, etc. 
  Passed Inspection
  New Heavy Duty Radiator
  Rebuilt Carb
  Replaced Fuel Accelerator
  Replaced Fuel Lines
  New Battery
  Stored in a Dry, Texas Commercial           Building
The landau top does have some fading and missing threads and the price reflects this. (See pics).
Purchase now, before it goes on eBay. Come see this excellent example of the last of the big Lincolns and drive in style!

6E0D3A76-7D17-4C05-85C8-DD5AC2259079.jpeg

813FC3E6-A38B-4BAA-97F5-B9F007718C2B.jpeg

6A9D3A4B-6989-46FB-8BCA-66B596301A1B.jpeg

4675EC7B-51CF-45B1-9F4B-00C9E8FF9112.jpeg

88BD5C64-0CCA-454E-8461-234DEC54CCC8.jpeg

28430B79-B32A-47D0-B863-3039AC769393.jpeg

7D73F566-F104-4637-8CE7-AA78A801074D.jpeg

8C3D5438-94C0-4E88-AC7C-4AE21BA7FAEA.jpeg

8D9D4249-9DF1-4506-83B9-CAE58F0D97E2.jpeg

590A2515-0618-4714-8BAA-2FEC27E666C1.jpeg

A39A7D35-E20A-4BE3-90BB-41A1B3E412D9.jpeg

3994BC8B-5971-45A4-B00F-42A0D1B890D7.jpeg

9D211098-5546-41BA-A958-FCF0966DBEDF.jpeg

61DDCB7A-395F-45FE-B949-32F1C96CABA2.jpeg

0BAC5C11-3336-4261-B13A-1FA48156F89C.jpeg

230647ED-C57E-4CAE-BA00-044A9BFC7792.jpeg

84FEFC8E-8AF3-4AEE-A8F3-BC05E39677A8.jpeg

1C947839-2C2B-4F36-AEC8-957839A8C39C.jpeg

7926BFA1-0781-4B09-98AF-3ECB114E9770.jpeg

2360E9F1-1B8C-489B-920D-4ED674256E1E.jpeg

584FB9CD-45BB-4EC1-9922-DA5B3B539868.jpeg

77923A08-AB7C-4E6E-BDBC-D1D959DFA789.jpeg

17C83B4F-2120-40A1-A818-23D524478462.jpeg

D0447A8B-2EB8-4944-96B8-AC62EB81BF28.jpeg

4CB34923-256E-41A9-9864-466AE8C248D7.jpeg

35A224AF-BB9D-4F75-B42B-60E520902431.jpeg

411A0DE0-C0D9-4410-B1D6-C2D46603BDB6.jpeg

922AEB1E-7C81-43C4-BA72-95DC428DFA26.jpeg

2A424C1E-DD3B-43FE-A676-6546D2D2CC1F.jpeg

6C523547-1517-4E9E-8AF3-0953EE59CDF1.jpeg

AE4337E2-5614-4620-B82D-F063551B9F0D.jpeg

ED1A87ED-0448-4BD5-AF07-ABFEE229CAFC.jpeg

3CEE51C5-4310-4FAF-996F-A96657633157.jpeg

6B5B8D2C-E9C4-4DFD-B117-ED16053D1709.jpeg

3AE98F30-8EC6-4780-9BF6-835EA3F5E740.jpeg

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Beautiful car. Takes up 2 slots on a car hauler. Only the 58-59-60 Lincoln convertible is bigger?

Some interesting statistics:

For the 1975-79 Lincolns, the Town Car (4 doors) and 

the Town Coupe (2 doors) were both equally long, at 233".

The 1958-1960 Lincolns were SHORTER:

Overall length was 229" in 1958, then reduced to 227" the last two years;

reduced drastically when the cars were restyled for 1961.

In the late 1950's, as cars had quickly gotten bigger and more

powerful (and thirstier) to go along the burgeoning superhighways,

there was a substantial backlash by car buyers.  Cars wouldn't fit

easily in smaller garages;  people didn't want to spend $8 to fill a 

tank with premium--that's about $65 in today's purchasing power.

So after a disastrous year in 1958, Lincoln actually SHORTENED 

their car slightly (for the same body) and REDUCED the horsepower.

Interesting! 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Looks can sometimes be deceiving, Victoria!

Stylists know all the techniques to make a car 

appear longer (when they want it to), or to hide

its length.  For example, a molding or crease or color sweep

extending all the way from front to back can make

a car body look longer.

A typical SUV today--even a full-sized one--is not as

long as it appears to be.  It appears bigger because it's boxy.

For instance, the Honda CR-V is a foot shorter than the

Honda Accord, and even the mid-size Honda Pilot SUV

is only 2" longer than the Accord.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the news here there are some churches that will let homeless people with cars park in the church lots over night.

So, the relatives could be treated to a room away from those nagging grand kids....

• Haha 1

Maybe I should keep it as I may be homeless by the time I finish liquidating dad’s estate. 

There are several 8 tracks in the glove box. The stereo works, and I hear sound, but the volume is not working. I put some money into the engine getting it tuned up and a few other minor things, but haven’t touched the radio. They can convert them even with Bluetooth now, so the new buyer can decide what to do on that. 

It’s almost to the 7500 reserve. Hopefully it will sell this go around. ?It’s a solid car, a fair price and there are buyers out there. It’s just like all the rest, I have to wait for the right buyer. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

This auction will be over tonight. I have lowered the reserve to 7100 if anyone wants to pick it up. I need to finish clearing out the garage. Thank you!

https://ebay.com/itm/1979-Lincoln-Continental-Town-Car-Original-Rust-Free-Central-Texas-Car-1979-Lincoln-Town-Car-/162831282849

Having bid on some ebay stuff and not having won the item, I have been notified that I could still win the item if the seller drops the reserve, for $5 difference between high bid and reserve it's something worth looking into.

2 hours ago, Digger914 said:

Having bid on some ebay stuff and not having won the item, I have been notified that I could still win the item if the seller drops the reserve, for $5 difference between high bid and reserve it's something worth looking into.

I had already contacted the bidder and told him I dropped it to 7100. I didn’t hear back so I assume he lost interest. 

Vic' : you hang in there , hear ? Don't let these 'bay bastardos get to you ! There are weak , cowardly , snakes under many a rock who will mess with you just to leave a slither in the sand. Nothing better to do with their worthless parasitic lives , I guess. They steal your time , throw a b.s. bid , and take indecent , unwarranted liberties. You are very close to a sale in any case. Happy New Year , "Daughter".    - CC

Edited by C Carl
Clever clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Carl!

It reminds me of last year at this time when I was trying to sell the 50. Y’all kept encouraging me. After a few failed attempts, it sold for a good price. 

It’s a solid car, and a fair price. Just waiting for the right buyer. In any case, there have been a couple other ‘79’s and they haven’t sold either, or been bid up as high. 

I will try again soon and see if we can’t find it a good home. ;)

On 1/9/2018 at 2:17 AM, C Carl said:

Vic' : you hang in there , hear ? Don't let these 'bay bastardos get to you ! There are weak , cowardly , snakes under many a rock who will mess with you just to leave a slither in the sand. Nothing better to do with their worthless parasitic lives , I guess. They steal your time , throw a b.s. bid , and take indecent , unwarranted liberties. You are very close to a sale in any case. Happy New Year , "Daughter".    - CC

I have sold several cars of all types on eBay and, if not on eBay directly, as a result of eBay after the auction ended, and each time on the first shot.  You can't expect eBay to make up for your shortcomings if you don't understand how to market something in a way that attracts the buyer you need.  It's a wonderful platform and nothing out there will get you more visibility.

Sorry , Walter. I was referring to the party who was apparently bidding on the car , seeming to be interested , and then did not further respond. I am worried about the types who waste the opportunity of the format for the seller. Obviously eBay has proved itself to be an extremely effective and game changing operation. I even got a very good deal on a car just a little over 100 miles from home. One of those deals which could easily and quickly be parted out if it was not as expected. Sight unseen insurance. Turned out to be even better than I thought it would be. Now suppose there had been some b.s. bidder just playing with the seller and me. I was just referring to this type of meddling. I can sure see my original posting can be taken another way. Thanks for calling my attention to this.    - Carl

Not sure how this site works, but I've been chasing down Bentley's found on http://topclassiccarsforsale.com and not making any headway, I looked to see what else was listed and found this Lincoln showing up with 3 separate postings all copied from ebay with links to contact seller. So on classic cars, the auction may be over, the car may even be sold, but the add for the car continues to run and who knows for how long.

Here is the link to Victoria's Lincoln, where someone

copied her ad evidently without her authorization:

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/lincoln/403171-1979-lincoln-continental-town-car-original-rust-free-central-texas-car.html

I have seen that "Top Classic Cars" website before, and

wondered whether it was legitimate.  I suspect not.

A friend bought a 1957 Lincoln for $20,000, and I showed

him an ad on that site where it was listed at $3000.

He inquired out of curiosity, and a scammer answered.

I've seen other ads on that questionable site where the

price seemed too good to be true.

Note that this site isn't merely COPYING Ebay and

other sources, and referring you to those sources--

as some other websites do.  They are presenting the cars

as if they were actually listed on Top Classic Cars, and

want you to contact the seller through THEM.  If that's

the case, and Top Classic Cars had no authorization, I think

that's misleading and dishonest.

• Thanks 1

I contacted them and asked if it was still for sale to see what would happen. It’s obviously a scam as that is indeed my ad and I didn’t authorize any third party ads. 

Im not even sure who/how to report this to get it down? Does anyone have any ideas? 

Update: I contacted an attorney I know who specializes in intellectual property rights about this ad. He’s helped many Realtor friends who had info ripped off of their websites in a similar fashion. He had me email him a link. I will let you know his response. 

Update2: Based on info from my attorney, I don’t think I will be able to relay my attorneys response at this time. May take a while. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W_Higgins said:

No worries on this end.  In this case, it looks like all a meddler had to do was do nothing.  

Not really following your comments but I’m thinking you have some criticism on the way I marketed this eBay listing?

If so, I am always open to constructive criticism and would appreciate your thoughts. 

I have sold at least 4 or 5 autos on eBay, (not all under this account as I had help on some), in the last couple of years, as well as a comparable amount without eBay. I agree it is the best exposure for the money. Most have sold the first go around, however if a car has limited appeal, or if it is around the holidays, it usually takes a few attempts in my experience. 

4 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Not really following your comments but I’m thinking you have some criticism on the way I marketed this eBay listing?

If so, I am always open to constructive criticism and would appreciate your thoughts. 

Vic' , W_Higgins statement makes sense in context of responses 28,29,31,32, and 33. This was started by my confusing original posting. I don't know if this all makes complete sense. You can be sure neither Walter nor I are criticizing you. Rather it is a comment on how some people who bid on eBay are not "for real". And now we see another type of "not for real" situations which can come up.  -  Carl

• Like 1

6 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I contacted them and asked if it was still for sale to see what would happen. It’s obviously a scam as that is indeed my ad and I didn’t authorize any third party ads. 

Im not even sure who/how to report this to get it down? Does anyone have any ideas? 

Update: I contacted an attorney I know who specializes in intellectual property rights about this ad. He’s helped many Realtor friends who had info ripped off of their websites in a similar fashion. He had me email him a link. I will let you know his response. 

Update2: Based on info from my attorney, I don’t think I will be able to relay my attorneys response at this time. May take a while. 

Three  places to report, two are easy and the third is a ton of paperwork. The three EBay adds get reported to EBay, if they copyright their material they can end this site in a heartbeat. Go back far enough on this site and you will find your original AACA posting and yours isn't the only AACA posting that I recognized while looking through  what's available. AACA might not have the resources to pursue this, there are a couple of posters here that could. The third place is the FBI, don't know what you got back from the site, but if they tried to sell you your car, you have proof of wire fraud. Don't expect immediate action, even when you write the complaint in US Attorney indictment format for easy copy and paste, personnel available resources are limited, so investigation and charges take time. The first one I wrote took 9 years to get from complaint to conviction.

Thanks @Digger. This site is in Russia and my attorney is on it. He gets personal satisfaction from following through and shutting them down. It sounds like a lot of work to me. My main goal is to take my ads down so they aren’t used to scam someone, but sadly I can only do something about my ads and it’s going to take some time to do what he suggests. There’s no financial gain, of course, it’s purely to get the ads off the site. 

I wish there was an easier way to shut these sites down. 

Incidentally, I could not find a way to report the website to eBay. 

2 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Thanks @Digger. This site is in Russia and my attorney is on it. He gets personal satisfaction from following through and shutting them down. It sounds like a lot of work to me. My main goal is to take my ads down so they aren’t used to scam someone, but sadly I can only do something about my ads and it’s going to take some time to do what he suggests. There’s no financial gain, of course, it’s purely to get the ads off the site. 

I wish there was an easier way to shut these sites down. 

Incidentally, I could not find a way to report the website to eBay. 

I kind of figured the site was overseas and EBay would only need to file a complaint with the search engines to have the site disconnected if they copyright. That would get them suspended, if they come back up without purging all EBay listings they can be shut down forever? Which means they have to change the name. A good wire fraud complaint doesn't stop them either, but it does make knowingly helping the scammer move money aiding and abetting, changing names doesn't change that involvement. It's all a question of risk vs. reward and the US Attorneys Office might not be able to do anything about the people overseas, but it can certainly make it unpleasant for the any complacent financial organization here. See the United States v The Western Union Company.