1930 Model A engine stuck

copgib

Can someone give me some ideas on how I can unstick my engine.  My 1930 Model A was running when parked 8-years ago. It was stored in a barn covered with a tarp. The seller stated he drove it there and has pictures proving it.  But now the motor seems stuck so I need advice on what to do to get it unstuck so I can get it running again. Thanks Hugh copgib@earthlink.net

Try pouring thin oil, auto trans fluid or Marvel Mystery Oil down the plug holes. Rock the engine by pushing the car back and forth in low or reverse. If it comes free see if you can turn it 2 full turns. Then try the starter. Cover the engine with rags, oil may fly out the plug holes. If the engine turns freely on the starter check that you are getting spark and the carb is getting gas. Make sure the gas is not spoiled, you may have to take the tank off and clean it or hook up a motorboat tank. Do not try to run on spoiled gas. It could gum up your motor for good. If it smells like gas ok, if it smells like old stinky varnish DO NOT use it.

Could be the bearings are stuck too in addition to the pistons in the cylinders.  To get the penetrating oil to the main bearings,  remove the distributor, and pour your concoction down the hole in the head where the distributor was.  This will get the fluid to the valve chamber, where it will seep down to the bearings via the oil passages.

Soak the motor for a week or so and remove the starter. Use a pinch bar the correct size or ground so it will engage the ring gear fully and try to force the motor to turn in this manner. You can try it prying up and down to get it moving. This is a lot more effective that trying to rock the whole car and you can do it yourself. It should free up without too much trouble.

• Like 1