door speakers

harry yarnell

I've always assumed that speaker diameter was measured by cone diameter. That may not be true but I've always been luck and bought the correct size speaker. There are plenty of aftermarket companies that sell replacement speakers. Infinity, MB Quart, Rockford Fosgate, JL Audio, Kenwood, etc. But if you are wanting to keep your GM car all GM and replace with Delco speakers, I would not know where to get new ones. Used ones you could probably find about anywhere.

cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifsmirk.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Harry it doesn't matter because it is an industry wide standard. All 5 and 1/4 will fit all the 5 and 1/4 openings. Depths do vary. Cone sizes can vary for the same 5 and 1/4s (Infinity evidently has cones that are 30% larger than the normal cone.)

Reatta speaker info.

These guys are fantastic for speaker information . After you find the speaker you like and fits into your budget then do a price search here.

Personally and after much effort I replaced my front door speakers with 6 by 9s.

NOTE: There are two speakers in each door.

Just happen to have an original laying around. It has a Delco #16072934, which looks too long, it also says made in Japan, 4 ohm.

The distance between holes is 3 7/8. The TOTAL front to back dimension is 2 1/2 and the distance from the mounting surface to the back of the magnet is 2 1/8. It is a common size and there is room to go deeper maybe as much as 2 1/2 inches.

I unsolder the wires at the speaker so that I can use the original connector and wires.

Robert is correct on all accounts. I found a pair of 5 1/4 speakers in the garage that I had for at least 7 years that had much larger heavier magnets than the stock units, and were very slightly deeper. With some modification to the plastic speaker carrier in the door of my 90, they fit perfectly, and sound far better.

Harry, I just ordered and received the GM speakers from gmpartsdirect.com I don't have the parts numbers with me but found them searching this site for speakers. Front speaker part number has changed from the one search listed here but it will work on their site search and give you correct number. The connector is different but I cut the ones off the old speakers and soldered on the new. Work great. You can replace by prying the bottom portion of the door panel out and reaching in with a star driver to remove entire assembly. Be sure to loosen door pull bolts and handle cup screw first. Takes about 20 minutes per side including soldering.

curt