'39 Packard V-12 timing cover

Restorer32

The guy who was reproducing them in WA state is not doing it anymore.    I hope someone buys the tooling and starts production again.   I've been told where they corrode is behind the water pump impeller.  I've also been told that they can be fixed by cutting out the corroded aluminum part and welding in a fresh aluminum piece.   This is all internal and cannot be seen on the outside.    

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

Yep, ours (actually a customer's, wish it was ours) has 2 pencil eraser size holes corroded thru behind the impeller. Also the areas that seal against the tubes that direct coolant into the block are very badly corroded. The tubes themselves, pressed into the block, are almost corroded away. Very nice original car but she's dead in the water for now.

I don't know what the rules are in here, , so I am unclear how we exchange private info,   or even if that is allowed. 

If it is allowed,  by all means put your telephone and/or e mail address in here and/or send me some kind of message.  and I will contact you directly immediately.

Yes, I have a serviceable spare  ( as a side-note,  1935-1939 Packard Twelve timing case covers are identical in all respects).  I will absolutely guarantee mine as serviceable.    I sure feel sorry for the guy - this is not a funny situation !

Should you decide to go into production, I believe you would find a ready market.  The difficulty you describe is pretty scary - there are a lot of Packard Twelve owners out there who understand how serious the corrosion problem is - and that it is only a matter of time before they are in the same position - given what that pre-war aluminum is like, and how it behaves even with appropriate care/anti-freeze etc.

I would strongly recommend you try and get the tooling from the now-retired ( decased ?  ) fellow who was reproducing them.   His were perfect in all respects.     Or you can use mine as a sample,  in which case of course I will refund your money.  Most cheerfully  ( if you sell me a repro. of the same quality as that guy from Wash. !)

I am going out to my storage bin - will TRY and photograph my "extra" and post it in here so you get a clear idea of what I have.

Edited by NeedsRestoration
top secret (see edit history)

for Restorer32:  re: timing case covers

(and for any of you guys who are curious as to what one looks like )

This is my serviceable spare.    I cooked up a series of "patches" to cover the outlets so I could pressure-test it & confirm no leaks ( as you are probably aware,  38-39 V-12's had pressurized cooling systems)..   Guranteed - seriously...90 days or 4,000 mi...(whichever comes first...!).

I do hope you will consider reproducing these things rather than using my spare.   Here's why.   The pre-war aluminum is much more highly reactive than the vastly superior material used these days.

Packard Twelve owners would, in my opinion, be nuts not to jump at the chance to have one made out of modern material - I think you'd have lots of eager customers - a little advertising explaining the chemistry issue should make any responsible Packard Twelve owner a "believer" .

Note - mine has been converted to studs for the water pump to mount on.   From the factory they had bolts.   The bolt hole threads typically stripped out,  so that explains why so many  of these cases now have bolts.

The bad news is - once you put studs in - you cannot get the water pump out and then back in the car unless you pull the radiator off  ( or, if you have the equipment..much easier and faster to remove and re-install the entire  "front clip" .)

TIMING BEST.jpg

Edited by NeedsRestoration
secret (see edit history)

Well, the good news is there is now someone reproducing these,  both the '32-'34 version as well as the '35-39 style, at what I consider a reasonable price for the amount of work required. Thanks everyone for the leads. Several months wait time until the current batch is finished but we are happy to wait. Now to order that $500 timing chain. The Packard 12 is not for the faint of heart.