Buicknutty

Considering buying a Reatta

On 1/19/2018 at 12:41 AM, 89RedDarkGrey said:

I'd pour a couple gallons of liquid Lysol down where the water went. Black Mold will make your house unlivable. You really can't open windows to air it out; the water will freeze, and jack boards apart, crack walls, etc.

A team of professionals came to the house and brought in 4 industrial sized dehumidifiers and many fans to dry the place out. They also pulled down some of the drywall and found the source of the problem. A previous "plumber" had left some live hot water pipes sticking up into an unheated section of the attic. This must of been from when the kitchen was done about a year and a half ago. Last winter, being much milder didn't cause the pipes to break, but the extreme cold this year caused the cap that was soldered on to detach, so it shot upwards into the rafters like a fountain for many hours. The insulation in the walls will have to be replaced as well.

So I think that the redial efforts are well under way, and the house will be good again. They have also told us that the flooring is going to have to come up, to get the subfloors dried out properly. All supposed to be covered by the insurance company. Don't know if we will get into more issues with them nickle and dimming us as the project continues.

If it hadn't been so bad, I wouldn't have called the insurance at all, but I knew right away that I was going to need professional assistance.

To all, thanks for the comments, and sympathies. Glad you like my car. Even my wife is getting used to the white car!

The good news on the house, is that of course it could of been worse, it wasn't a fire, and we weren't away for a couple of weeks, or something like that.

Keith

• Like 1

Back to my car, not the house! I haven't seen anything about oil type for these cars. Is there a concern that the lower zinc content in the newer oils will cause premature wear when used in these engines?

Also, what about ethanol in the fuel system?

Here in Ontario the gov't is planning to raise the ethanol content in regular fuel to a mandatory 10%.

Thanks, folks.

Keith

• Like 1

There are no concerns with lower zinc % oils at all. This is a roller lifter engine and any decent 5w30 modern oil will work fine, synthetic or dino oil. 10% ethanol is pretty universal all over and 15% in some places. It doesn't make most people too happy as it does have a slight negative effect on mileage but generally doesn't do any harm. JMHO

• Like 2

I live in Upstate, NY (smack dab middle) and we've had 10% corn in the "Regular" grade for many years now. We do have ethanol-free "Super" 91 octane, too. I have used both in my '89, and can say there's not a huge difference. I have a new "Delco" type ignition, with Bosch Double Platinum plugs- so it fires irregardless. The 91 stuff does have a tiny bit more highway pep.

I have used 10W-40 all year around here, and in Winter I add 1 pint of conventional ATF for easier starting and extra cleaning. The cap reads a much thinner grade (5W-30) to pass the Emissions tests of the time. No way would I use that now, after 172k +29 years.

Edited by 89RedDarkGrey (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I use the cheapest 10w30 oil I can find and the cheapest oil filter. I chnage oil every 3000 miles and never have a problem.

• Like 2

The weather had been rainy for a couple of days, with all of the road salt now been washed away, so we took the Reatta out to get some lunch today. A nice ride to town and back, topped it up as well. Though it started raining again just after I had out of the garage, but I wanted to drive it anyway!

Then after I got back, and into the heated garage for a while, I started on my next Reatta Adventure. Putting the top down. Its' a 15 step procedure in the owners manual. Being a Reatta newbie, I was looking for the switches as illustrated in the manual, only they aren't the same! Anyway, I managed to get the top down, and even back up again.

So do all of them have a lever to release the back edge of the top, instead of the switch the owners manual shows?

Keith

1990 covertibles had a manual release for the fifth bow. 1991 added a power pull down/release using "corkscrews" to secure the fifth bow to the tonneau. If I'm not mistaken, the select 60 convertibles in 90 did have the power assist fifth bow, but all other regular production 90 convertibles had the manual release.

• Like 1

So, I have a couple of questions. First about the cd player option. My car has the usual cassette only AM FM radio, and I have been trying to figure out how the cd player integrated to the radio. I have done some searching on this site, but can't find an answer. May be I missed it. I've also found some mention of a "remote" cd player, and in the Buick manuals I have it seems that cars would of or could of had both. So, is this true? If so, where would of the cd player of been located? Can one but the cd unit and install it?

Next, there is some wind noise coming from the back, and I've noticed that the top weatherstrip doesn't fully contact the body all the way across, but reading through the service book I cannot see a way to adjust the fit, but is there a way to have the top fit more snugly?

Thanks, folks.

Waiting for Spring, for my first top down drive!

Keith

The outboard CD player isn't so easy to add to the cars not factory equipped with it.  You need three things: the CD player itself (with mount), the alternate cubby hole pocket and trim with a half height storage slot and an opening for the CD player, and the special radio harness that has cabling to go to the CD player from the head unit. To get all these parts is not all that easy, and is also rather costly for what you gain in my opinion. Further, the CD player at this age is almost always non-working and will need rebuilding which will just add to the cost. And, it will not play CD-Rs or RWs as it is too old to be compatible with them.

Unless you really absolutely want to stay with the stock radio setup (which makes sense for serious show cars and judging) you can do much better for capabilities and sound quality for much less. A suitable Metra install kit can be had to fill the 1.5 DIN factory dash opening and install a standard 1 DIN unit in its place.

Current aftermarket gear usually supports Bluetooth to stream audio from a phone, has much better sound quality than stock (even more important in a convertible) and also supports SD cards and/or USB thumb drives that can store hundreds of hours of music and pretty well negate the need for CD's.

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Keith, the top pins can be adjusted to make the 5th bow contact with the tonneau cover better.  The pins are threaded into the 5th bow.

Thanks, it looked like it, but I couldn't find any other info about this. I think that I will have some time to work on the Reatta tomorrow, so I'll have look.

Keith

Just a thought but I require handsfree in all of my cars and replaced the Delco head unit with a Clarion that matched the dash and illumination colors & has a very good Bluetooth. Nothing visible was modified and I used adapter cables rather than cutting any wires. The original cassette is in a baggie. See here.

Thanks for your thoughts, Padgett. That is an option that I'm considering, a modern unit which would give me cd, mp3, and bluetooth. Your car really does look good, it doesn't look modified.

Though I really like to keep my cars stock, but the modern system is supposed to work very well, and I can buy one here in Toronto for not much over $100. Hard to resist!

Keith