Help with 1940 Limited

Guest 40 Limited

Guest 40 Limited

A close friend of mine passed away. He left me his 1940 Buick Limited, as far as I can tell everything is all stock. I knew him for about 30 years and never seen him drive it, it always sat in the garage. 

The car runs but it sounds like it's misfiring on certain cylinders. Can someone please give me the firing order?

I would be greatly appreciate it.

Welcome to the AAA Discussion Forum. I have moved your post to the Pre-War Buick Forum. You will find many people in this forum who can answer any questions you have about your newly acquired Buick. I would also suggest you may want to check out the 36-38 Buick Club. In spite of the name, the club accepts all Straight 8 era Buicks. You can check out the club at http://www.3638buickclub.org/.

A very nice car

And we like photos :)

Download the 1942 Buick shop manual. All of it section by section. The pdf link does not work.

It is very comprehensive and has information that can be used with all straight 8’s.

It has more information than was included in older “Shop Manuals” before 1942-41

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop%20Manual/

Welcome. You will hopefully find the Buick to your liking. Yes, it'll take a little sorting if it's been sitting, but you'll be rewarded with one of the most roadworthy cars of the pre-war era. The big Buicks were superior cars in most ways, and the engine really is a remarkable machine. I'll admit to being a little biased (I own a '41 Limited) but having tried on a lot of the Brand X cars for comparison, I still find the Buick to be the car that puts the biggest smile on my face every time I drive it. It just works better.

It's a big, impressive car and once you get it sorted, it will be a reliable, comfortable, and surprisingly fast tour car that you can enjoy for many years. Parts are plentiful, even for the Limited, and I've found the knowledge surrounding these cars in particular to be extremely strong around here. There are a lot of guys with similar cars who can lend you their expertise.

I'd recommend starting with pulling the plugs and cleaning them, checking the firing order as you mention, and perhaps replacing the plug wires, especially if they've been crammed under the side cover for 30 years. Points and condenser help, but they don't often go wrong. Fresh gas always a good idea, too. If it runs, then it's just a little tweaking away from being healthy again. No big deal.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Guest 40 Limited

Wow, I wish my kids responded this quickly when I ask for something, 

I purchased a tune-up kit and a gasket set, at Kanter's they're located in Boonton New Jersey, If my wife allows me to have some time to myself, I'll do the tune up this weekend.

As for my location I'm out in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania.

40 Limited,

I hope you will consider joining the BCA and Free Spirit Chapter (centered around Allentown (but have a Regional Show next fall.

I am the Northeast Region Coordinator and also the Area Coordinator for Pre-War Division.  Don't want to overwhelm you with so much, but feel free to send my a Personal Message (PM).  I think there are some instructions (try search menu) for loading pictures, but it is, I think fairly easy.

John Scheib

• Like 1