New member with a question

Hello together,

I would like to introduce myself: I live in Germany, in the South Bavaria. Since some years I´m owner of the "Phoenix Park Rapier", which is described in the book "Ever Keen" on page 156-157.

Please let me ask one question to all expert members: during the dismounting of the cam covers I can see that this engine doesn´t have any chain tensions. This engine has an excellent construction on chain wheels. These chain wheels are fixed with excentric bolts. Now comes my question: who knows who has made this construction in the years 70-80.

Thanks a lot and best regards

Wolfgang

IMG-20171127-WA0002.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wolfgang,

Thanks for bringing this interesting car up! Sadly the video on the link in Bernie's answer is too jerky to be watchable  , at least on my system.

To partly answer your question, a bit - the Rover P6 2000 (64-77) had a 4cyl 2L engine with SOHC . The cam drive was double row chain, in 2 stages - first to distributor and oil pump drive, then to the cam. The chain runs had hydraulic tensioners fed with engine oil. At the cam itself, the chain wheel could be detached from the cam and attached to a bracket mounted on the block to allow the head to be lifted with disturbing the chain. To take up chain wear the cam chain wheel was in 2 parts, with a toothed vernier  inside it, allowing for fine adjustment. 

thanks

john 26 Rover 9

The Rapier having two overhead cams has a system of three single row chains, the first brings the drive from the front of the timing (half-time) gear. This meshes with a gear on the front of the crankshaft to drive a triple sprocket mounted on a spindle attached to the front of the head. This then has two short chains one to each camshaft. The triple sprocket is arranged so the front sprocket can be detached. There is a bracket attached th the cylinder block to hold this without disturbing the chain while the head can be removed. This way the valve timing is not disturbed. Unfortunately this support bracket is not shown in the drawing below but you can clearly see the layout of the three chains. The gear to the side of the main timing gear drives the water pump from the front and the generator to the rear. The magneto/distributor is driven from the rear of the generator. Wolfgang's engine employs "Sprocket" chain tensioners in place of the "Weller" spring/blade tensioners shown here. This was a modification employed in the later (factory) supercharged engines.

Hope this helps

Bernie j

5a86064244b4c_Rapiertiminggearchainarrangement.thumb.jpeg.a75336aa8b46ba099490d23ba1de4d48.jpeg

As Wolfgang's Rapier is one of a handful that left the factory as supercharged, the supercharger is driven by the same side gear as the water pump and generator. The Supercharger is also chain driven with the drive interposed between the rear of the timing case and the generator. This photograph of Wolfgang's Rapier dates from 2008, it is driven by the previous owner. The name Phoenix Park Rapier denotes that as well being possibly the last car to be constructed by Rapier Cars Ltd its first outing was at the 1937  Phoenix Park  Race meeting in Ireland on the outskirts of Dublin. The car remained in Ireland until 1980. It is one of less than 100 cars produced by the Rapier Car Company after it had split from Lagonda.

Bj

5a88b195b1521_PhoenixParkRapier..thumb.jpeg.ef65e0ce7a3beef0ead6c1c89ea207b3.jpeg

Hello JP 26

Look at the diagram again. The cams rotate in the opposite direction to the crankshaft, making the tensioners on the correct side. The Chains are driven from the front of the timing (half time) gear not by the crankshaft. As in every other 4 cylinder motor the cams rotate at half the crankshaft's speed.

Bj.