RICHELIEUMOTORCAR

Unidentified early wood brass car bodies and other parts.

I have been going through the family barn and there are a number of early car bodies from the brass era. I am hoping some of you experts can maybe ID a few. Here are some photos of the ones I was able to get out of storage so far. I have more but let's start with these. So far, all the bodies are solid wood except for one which is 80% wood with just one round area of formed metal. I have many early wooden doors with brass fittings and handles as well. This should be alot of fun trying to find out what they could be. The first 6 photos are one body, the next 4 photos are of another body, the next 6 photos are of a third body, the next 4 are of another one. All of the parts have been in the barn for at least 75 to 80 years. Thank you for any information!

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5176.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5174.JPG

IMG_5177.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5152.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5154.JPG

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5157.JPG

IMG_5159.JPG

IMG_5160.JPG

IMG_5162.JPG

IMG_5163.JPG

Edited by RICHELIEUMOTORCAR (see edit history)

Here are more photos of early doors and another wood car body. You can see the old grease under this body from the chain drive. I recall these early headlights to be from a 1907 Ford Model K we once had. Have fun!

IMG_5178.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

IMG_5181.JPG

IMG_5179.JPG

IMG_5182.JPG

IMG_5170.JPG

IMG_5169.JPG

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5164.JPG

IMG_5165.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

1 hour ago, JFranklin said:

At least you have 1 door identified.

Yes, I wish uncle would have marked everything else. I did find a little tag stuffed inside the lights up above, saying 07 Ford Model K so that's another sure ID. I think that one little rusty door says either 08 Overland or 08 Oakland on the back. I believe that one smaller green seat could be very early Cadillac, pre 06 tulip body.

Well... I'm looking for a pair of bucket seats or a single, divided seat that looks like two seats. They can be attached, but I don't want it to look like a bench seat from the back. If anything turns up, I'm interested. Where are you?

12 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Well... I'm looking for a pair of bucket seats or a single, divided seat that looks like two seats. They can be attached, but I don't want it to look like a bench seat from the back. If anything turns up, I'm interested. Where are you?

I may have something around here that will work. Did you measure the size that you need? In New York. Most of the bodies and parts are available. There are a few that are not in the photos which we already made an ID on that I am keeping for future family enjoyment. One is a big brass Locomobile Limousine Body, it was a high HP huge car, I recall 1910 or 11 which I'm hoping to find the chassis to mount it back on. It must be over 8 feet tall. I think I still have the chassis here somewhere but until I locate it, it's missing in action.

Since I have to build the body, the exact width isn't important.

That Loco sounds really exciting... somehow I can't imagine having a problem like yours, at least not with cars. I once saw a huge, unrestored Peerless limo at Tunick Bros in New Jersey...it was extremely impressive.

I'm not in a rush by the way... I will find something sooner or later or make it if I have to.

jp

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

20 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Might be able to help you.  Will know in a couple of months if I need them for a body rebuild that I am having done.

Do any of our experts here have an idea on what some of these car bodies could be? Someone must know. I would be most thankful to anyone who can give me a positive ID. I just found a few more which I will post photos.

It's difficult... not the least because many car makers bought the bodies from companies that serviced the industry. I suspect that was the rule rather than the exception. The trade magazines of the time have numerous ads for body makers that are aimed at the trade rather than the "coach built" market. There may have been small changes in trim and other details but I wonder at even that. Before WWI, I think there were very few car makers that were permanently wedded to minor details. For instance, this photo looks remarkably like the front half of a 1910 REO I owned. I can't tell from the photo if the part on the ground is curved or not...if straight, it could be a front half, if curved, it is probably the back of the car. Because there is no provision for a curved chassis rail, it could be the back half of my current Mitchell – which has straight frame rails.

IMG_5166.thumb.JPG.2a6263f4c5f6a7f93c8b6e6929c48b57.JPG

Hmmm, a 10 Reo you say? That could be possible. I still have a 1908 Reo in the barn, I took a quick look at it but it's not a match. There were other early Reo cars here in the past so you may be on to something. Thanks JV.

23 hours ago, playswithbrass said:

Hi there starting in the first post 9th picture down is 1909 EMF. Cheers pete

Thank you for the tip, however, we have an early EMF from this era and none of the bodies match up to it.

In 1909 there was an early and a late body style. That is the early, ours is the late. We have a later body but the vehicle still has the band clutch. 

39 minutes ago, playswithbrass said:

In 1909 there was an early and a late body style. That is the early, ours is the late. We have a later body but the vehicle still has the band clutch. 

Well I guess it's possible. Would you be kind enough to send me your photos so I can match them up? I need to be sure. Thank you Pete.

The outer door handle is definitely EMF and the inner door pocket flap is EMF. Even the large wide grommet is used on very few cars. emfauto.org is the website for the registry and has a clear picture of the earlier style body. Ours is actually in winter storage but Am trying to find a photo for you 

14 hours ago, playswithbrass said:

The outer door handle is definitely EMF and the inner door pocket flap is EMF. Even the large wide grommet is used on very few cars. emfauto.org is the website for the registry and has a clear picture of the earlier style body. Ours is actually in winter storage but Am trying to find a photo for you 

Good day Pete. I looked on the EMF website as you said but could not find an exact match. Is this the body you believe is an early EMF?

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5150.JPG

I wish I knew what this body is. This one is so well preserved. It's just beautiful. I would like to find a good home for them with the right collector who will enjoy preserving them the way we did for over 80 years. I am tempted to clean the bodies up, maybe a little varnish and saddle soap the leather, however, maybe I should leave this to the next owner.

IMG_5172.JPG

So many cars from this era have no known survivors. There had to be hundreds of different bodies of which no positively identified example remains.  I have nearly all the Staver Chicago sales catalogs from 1910-1914. There are at least 20 different bodies shown. A grand total of 3 known Stavers remain with factory bodywork, .My car lost its body many years ago. Not much to establish a positive I.D. should a body survive in a similar form to what you are showing us. And as far as I know Staver built all of its own bodies, and probably did not supply to other car makers.  That's just one make from the many smaller manufactures in the 1905-1915 time frame. 

Greg in Canada

Hey guys. Some stuff is still available. Have a new positive ID on another early car body I have. A Stearns-Knight touring around 1910-12 vintage. Get this stuff now guys before I hire an auction house. You guys are missing a one time chance. Once the stuff is sold, that is that.

Some better pictures and basic dimensions would be a big help. Your close up shots are good for specific details , but it would also help to have some photos that show the overall body esp. with some overall measurements. It's hard to tell if the body's are for a small chassis or large.

Greg in Canada