1985 Chrysler Executive Limousine

hullinger

I know what it is called by my generation, but I'm not writing it. Here's what a real journalist writes.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=21950

And that's what I am seeing. Now back to my 1880's copy of Tom Sawyer.

Sorry if I repeated something from the video. I only got 37 seconds into it. Something about the style reminds me of a High School cheerleader from Buffalo who got gum in my carpets a long time ago.

Bernie

• Like 1

Interesting effort on Chrysler's part to build a limo out of a K car. They had the delusion at the time that the future was small 4 cylinder cars.

The interesting thing is the way they put it together. They combined the back half of the 2 door coupe and the front half of a 4 door sedan. All they had to make new was the back doors. Plus the rocker panels, floor, and roof which were simple. So it did not cost a whole lot to make which was lucky as they only sold a few hundred per year. I believe they made them for 2 years then gave up.

I believe Packard did the same trick of combining a 2 door coupe and 4 door sedan body to make a limousine in their 1951 to 54 models. Which may be why they did not offer a limo after 54 as they dropped their club coupe.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, zipdang said:

And this is what you replaced that great DeSoto with???:P Gotta love it!

Hahaha.  You're great!  Yea, this is the replacement for the Desoto.  Not quite in the same league but the fun factor is huge.  My 12 year old daughter said in jest several weeks ago how cool it would be to go to school in a limo.  Well, this isn't really what she had in mind but it's exactly what I'll be picking her up in, once the doodads I bought go on.   It's gonna be great although afterwards she may not talk to me for a week.   -Chris 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Interesting effort on Chrysler's part to build a limo out of a K car. They had the delusion at the time that the future was small 4 cylinder cars.

The interesting thing is the way they put it together. They combined the back half of the 2 door coupe and the front half of a 4 door sedan. All they had to make new was the back doors. Plus the rocker panels, floor, and roof which were simple. So it did not cost a whole lot to make which was lucky as they only sold a few hundred per year. I believe they made them for 2 years then gave up.

I believe Packard did the same trick of combining a 2 door coupe and 4 door sedan body to make a limousine in their 1951 to 54 models. Which may be why they did not offer a limo after 54 as they dropped their club coupe.

Man, great information on limo's.  Somehow I struggling with myself on reading up on 1980's Chryslers.  You know, it's not the most interesting stuff.

Let me try to write this story where it will not offend anyone. And it is true. Years ago there was a "lady" in our town who had a limo similar to this. Hers was a GM model though. She employed several "girls" in her business and was well known for not being bashful about the services they rendered. They all dressed in the same fashion as the limo.  We lived next to a church at the time and every Christmas and Easter she would bring the girls to church with her in the limo. It was quite a sight seeing them arrive in all their glory to worship on those special days.

3 hours ago, Fleek said:

Let me try to write this story where it will not offend anyone. And it is true. Years ago there was a "lady" in our town who had a limo similar to this. Hers was a GM model though. She employed several "girls" in her business and was well known for not being bashful about the services they rendered. They all dressed in the same fashion as the limo.  We lived next to a church at the time and every Christmas and Easter she would bring the girls to church with her in the limo. It was quite a sight seeing them arrive in all their glory to worship on those special days.

Why do I think that this "lady", to whom you refer, was not the owner of a dress shop?:D

I'll bet that every male in town had a favorite nick name for her limo.:o

Cheers,

Grog

2 hours ago, capngrog said:

Why do I think that this "lady", to whom you refer, was not the owner of a dress shop?:D

I'll bet that every male in town had a favorite nick name for her limo.:o

Cheers,

Grog

To make the story more interesting (and still, true) the guy she lived with was a local mechanic who went by the name of Shadetree. Seems some of the young local guys had a lot of problems with their old cars and needed to drop by their place after hours to get some mysterious car problem checked out.....

Mr. Hullinger, thanks for sharing your new joy.

The add-ons aren't my style, but I find the K-car

limousine an unusual part of automotive history.

Imagine selling a limousine based on a compact car!

Even an unadorned one would stand out at a show.

That would be the equivalent of a Chevrolet Citation

or Buick Skylark limousine from the same years.

More like a Cadillac Cimmaron. Chrysler dropped their large rear drive V8 cars and was going to all front drive 4 cylinder cars. Even the Chryslers except for the 5th Avenue which was a glorified Volare. Why they thought they needed a limousine and why they chose to make it out of the K car based Chrysler, who knows.

It started out like this

BlackSide.jpg

Also it's probably one of the few last limos of the modern era that is built correctly.   Namely a four door to the B post, a hybrid 4/2 door rear door, and a two door hind quarters from the B post back.  These days they simply cut at the B post and stretch where the occupants don't have any better ingress or egress than a normal four door.  The reason is so few big cars are offered in a two door version.  And of course cars are so low (on the inside) now that if you did stand up you have to bend over at the waist rather than a slight squat at the knee.

16 hours ago, emjay said:

It started out like this

BlackSide.jpg

Also it's probably one of the few last limos of the modern era that is built correctly.   Namely a four door to the B post, a hybrid 4/2 door rear door, and a two door hind quarters from the B post back.  These days they simply cut at the B post and stretch where the occupants don't have any better ingress or egress than a normal four door.  The reason is so few big cars are offered in a two door version.  And of course cars are so low (on the inside) now that if you did stand up you have to bend over at the waist rather than a slight squat at the knee.

This one pictured is the Executive Sedan, not the partitioned Executive Limousine as the subject car.  Both are still very low-production.

Craig

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:05 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mr. Hullinger, thanks for sharing your new joy.

The add-ons aren't my style, but I find the K-car

limousine an unusual part of automotive history.

Imagine selling a limousine based on a compact car!

Even an unadorned one would stand out at a show.

Fiat marketed a 1400, 1800, and 2300 limousine/long wheelbase sedan in Italy for years, link to a 1400 Fiat Lombardi President here:  1953%20Francis%20Lombardi%20Fiat%201400%

Volvo also offered the 264TE limousine, which took Packard's idea and used a two door rear half grafted on the font half of a four door body.

Craig