SculpturesOnCars

FRANKLIN 1928 AIRPLANE (SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS) HOOD ORNAMENT / CAR MASCOT

Hello,

attached you can see a repop of a 1928? Franklin Airplane hood ornament. Is there anybody out there, who has an old photo showing an authentic airplane on a car? I have been looking for it for quite some time now. Whereas the later model of the airplane for the 147 series is shown in the Franklin accessory catalog, I could not find any evidence for this earlier example which must have been something like a optional extra for the 12-B? The lack of any pictorial or documentary evidence makes me wonder whether or not it has existed at all!? 

Any help is much appreciated,

thanks

Matt

28franklinplane-600x480.jpg

Edited by SculpturesOnCars (see edit history)

The reproduction airplanes are close, but not quite like the originals - even the later design airplanes for 1930-31.

There is a Franklin Club member from NE Connecticut that has an original early airplane mascot on his 28 Franklin boat tail roadster. I think he goes by the screen name of "3 makes" on this website ???

Paul

Matt,

I was just looking in some old Air Cooled News magazines and found a little explanation of the first airplane hood ornament on a 1927 Franklin and I thought of this question on the forum. You might want to check it out. Air Cooled News #110, November 1990, page 11. You can look it up on the Franklin website.

Bill