Sampson 35

Metz 22 spark plug

Hi fellow Metz owners, through an add I saw the other day I realize I may have the wrong spark plugs, the one I saw listed was a lot longer than Champion 25, I thought I saved add, so the question is which are the correct plugs for Metz 22 and length, where are the plugs available from, thanks for help

Regards Dave

I believe it is the Champion 32 and it is available via time travel to around 1915.  In all seriousness, the only that I know of at this point are in someone's Metz. 

Yes, your Metz takes the Champion 32 plugs which are quite l-o-n-g. This allows a larger coolant area in the cylinder head. These plugs were also used on hit-and-miss engines. They are interchangeable with a number of other plugs from various makers, also. Unfortunately, none are available new. You can find them occasionally on eBay and flea markets, however. That's where I got mine. They are 1/2" pipe-thread plugs, like the Ford Model T plugs you have now. In fact, the Champion X plugs will work in the Metz engine, but are not as efficient. 

Phil

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

Hi Phil, 

Thank you for your reply, another Metz owner sent an old advert showing Splitdorf plugs

It lists Splitdorf P141 plugs for Metz, on way back from Bendigo swap called in to pick up new tyers n tubes

Was shown similar plugs, had never seen brand before, forgotten what was, will find out and add here

Regards Dave

I am not sure if there is much interest. But, I am in the process of possibly manufacturing a few options to replace the Champion #32 spark plug. Option 1 is to reproduce a close to identical plug. I have already detailed out an original early 1900’s plug. Unfortunately I would have to order a min of 500 pieces of the ceramics and I don’t know if there is enough demand for these long reach plugs to do that. My client that is requesting these plugs, is only in need of 4.  Kind of why I am posting here, as I am not sure if these plugs are in enough demand to produce a batch of 500. Option 2 is to make an adapter to use a modern long reach plug. I have already designed and produced 1 prototype adapter. The bottom of the ground electrode is at the same location as the original champion 32 plug. The top of the plug where the wire connects to the center electrode is about ½ inch shorter. The overall look of the plug and adapter looks very close to an original plug. The advantage of the adapter is replacement plugs can be purchased at almost any local auto parts store. If anyone is interested in either option, please let me know and post back or send me a message. I’ll attach a pic of Adapter with the plug.

W - Adapter Champion32.jpg

That is an interesting project, Chris. The long-reach plugs, such as the Champion 32, were used in a number of old hit-and-miss engines. They are available at swap meets, eBay, auctions, etc. but it might take a few months to find a decent set. An exact duplicate would be the best option, in my opinion, rather than an adapter for new plugs because most sales would be to collectors who seek the original look. I don't know if you could use the Champion name, however. You should contact the parts suppliers to see what the market is. I wonder what other cars used this plug?

Phil