1938 Plymouth 4dr slantback

Alan Franklin

Hi Al,

Some customers complained about the look of the new Plymouth in '38, thought it looked a little "bug eyed" (and they were right).  Plymouth's answer to correct this issue was to move the headlights rearward 4 inches and down 2 inches. A marked improvement for sure. They simply redesigned the headlight mount/stanchion and started installing them with the identical headlight buckets as before. Many cars were upgraded with these later type mounts at the dealerships and many were left as first designed. If one is not real familiar with the '38 Plymouth they probably would not know the difference but when you put the early style car and late style car side by side, it's pretty easy to spot.

If you have a car you'd like to upgrade, these mounts come up pretty regularly on eBay.

First pic is early style mounts. 

Second pic is redesigned later style mounts.

Best, Greg

s-l225 (3).jpg

download.jpg

1938 was a recession year during The Great Depression. I recall that auto sales slumped, but I suppose that just about everything else did as well. I know that I've seen auto sales figures, but I don't remember anything to quote about them. It's understandable that every dollar spent had to be considered wisely during those hard times. It would be interesting to know how much more money someone would have had to pay to get the larger trunk as opposed to the flat back one. I'm sure that the difference would seem minimal by todays standards. I recall reading once that the cost to get a right hand tail light on my '36 P1 Plymouth was $5.00 and the cost to have the car painted all one color, as opposed to coming with black fenders only, was $15.00.