How to remove 927 Dodge Steering Wheel

NZStuart

I took my car a 1927 Dodge Tourer for a compliance check which is required in New Zealand before I can put it back on the road. Was reasonably happy with list I've got to fix with no major items (I hope) King Pins need to be shimmed for too much vertical movement, rear shackles on front springs worn,  Oil Leak RHR Axle, needs tyre and horn to work (was working when I left home and worked fine afterwards)  and finally the reason I'm removing steering wheel top bush needs to be replaced.

I've got it this far but can't get any further, the two pins are slotted so I assume they should screw out but they just spin.

Any ideas

Stuart

Steering Wheel.jpg

Thanks I suspected as much but at this point tubes aren't the issue its the Aluminium cover that has the pins in it. It seems to be threaded or pressed on but I don't want to apply too much force until I know. it does look like it can be removed while the tubes are still fitted. I have removed connections at the bottom so can pull up a couple of inches so the slot in cover will go over tubes.

Stuart

OK went and check to refresh the brain matter At the bottom of the steering box there is a clamp plate This clamps the outer tube so in all there are 3 tubes in the steering column Spark throttle and this outer one You will have to drop off the spark and throttle linkages from the tubes un-clamp the outer one and then the 3 can the be remove as an assembly Then you can access the nut that holds the wheel on Take care not to damage the steering tube when trying to remove the wheel Hope I have been of some help Ron

Thanks Ron most helpful... Got the tube out and then found the nut holding the steering wheel had fallen off... was just sitting inside the housing so thats one issue I'm glad to fix.  

Next issue however is there doesn't seem to be any bushing inside steering shaft to centre it, should there be?

And then I think reason nut fell off in the first place its only just getting purchase on the steering shaft. Given its importance more is better. It almost looks like I might have to get wheel hud turned out slightly so it sits deeper on the shaft.

Thanks in advance for your help its most appreciated.

Stuart

20171120_173949.jpg

20171120_174020.jpg

20171120_174027.jpg

Yes Stuart there should be a bush in there. I turned one up out of Niolothane and used that. From memory there are 3 small dimples to hold the bush in the tube About a inch is in the tube and about 1/4 '' out and the top external diameter is a little  larger in dia than the tube So in affect you have a bush with a bore to suit the steering shaft and stepped on the outer diameter to fit into the tube  Hope all this makes sense 

That makes sense but it will make my steering wheel issue even worse so it does look like I'll have to turn 3/8 inch from inside of wheel (1/4 to allow for bush and an extra 1/8 to give nut more purchase on the steering shaft.

Not sure why wheel doesn't fit unless its from a different vehicle, its certainly looks like the original.

Next Job is rear shackles on front spring, got them off (Passenger side  top at bit of a pain to remove) and pins look ok but shackles themselves are worn. Will investigate building them up and redrilling or bushing.

Stuart

Stuart My car is a 28 Senior and my original nut is only thin about 1/4 or 5/16"" On my car the outer steering column does not connect to the steering box Does the one on your car? If it doesn't Then you un-clamp it at the dash board and slide it down a fraction I am sorry my computer skills are not good enough to post photos of mine 

On a lighter note I have heard of a loose nut behind the wheel but not one that's abandoned ship.