here to find 65 Riviera seatbelt retractor housing? (Tan)

DShoes

Hi Guys,

I'm looking high and low but can't seem to find replacement retractor housings for the lap belts in my '65. The retractor spring is aggressive enough (and the old plastic housing brittle enough) that both have cracked and chipped pretty badly when the belt is released and retracts. I've tried a few online places (OPGI, Summit, Seatbeltsplus.com) but no luck.

Thoughts here? I'm open to solutions that are not period correct - but hopefully just look good and do the job without exploding.

Thanks,

David

broken seatbelt retractor housing.jpg

The Parts Place (www.thepartsplace.com) has seat belt retractor covers for full size Chevrolets that my fit your needs. They are in black only and have to be painted to match your interior.

If you select Chevrolet Impala then search for "Interior - SEAT BELT RETRACTOR COVERS" you will see three different models listed. You might want to call them for details.

These covers are not listed for Buick Full Size for 1965 but they do show the following: (1965 - 1972 Skylark/GS/Regal/GN) SEAT BELT RETRACTOR COVERS RCF-300 (BLACK ONLY) - PR (FIT DELUXE & SOME STANDARD SEAT BELTS. FIT MOST ALL A BODY GM CARS WITH DELUXE SEAT BELTS OR METAL BUCKLE STYLE BELTS)

If you can remove your old cover, there may be a part number embossed on the inside. Try doing a web search to see if any one sells a repro of that model or search Ebay for a seller.

Good luck!

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)

Before you paint the new ones, be sure to spray some "Bulldog" adhesion promoter

on   them before painting. It comes in an aerosol can and is available at any Auto painting supplies store.

It is an absolute must for painting ABS plastic parts.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Schmiddy........I can't tell what you are doing in that thread........it looks like you are using baby diaper

safety pins to attach the belts to the buckle. Am I seeing things? Also, be aware that those faded red fisher body carriage emblems

on your seat belt push buttons are available in reproduction.

12 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Schmiddy........I can't tell what you are doing in that thread........it looks like you are using baby diaper

safety pins to attach the belts to the buckle. Am I seeing things? Also, be aware that those faded red fisher body carriage emblems

on your seat belt push buttons are available in reproduction.

Seafoam65, what's the problem, these baby diaper safety pins are doing a great job, I never would take them off again!!! *hehehe*    

I'm kidding! No, seriously... Because of the tensile force of the retractor I had to fix the belt somehow, before I had it sewed by a saddler. ;-)  This images  supposed to show how to restore/clean your belts and that it is not possible to change the retractor housing without cutting the belts. I any cases let them reattach them BY A PRO!

About the faded emblems, I wasn't aware until I red your lines... Where could I get some? Do they really look like the original fisher emblems? (Somehow I also like the original fades emblems though...)

Beware!    Not all those 60's GM retractor covers will fit your 65 Riv... as you can see in David's photo, the Riv covers mount on a diagonal surface. Most GM covers of that era mount on the floor & are flat on the bottom as seen in the ebay shots. They will not work. The ones you're looking for are the ones pictured in Shmiddy's post, and they are a rarity. I conducted a search for them years ago w no luck. Maybe a reader has a pair in their parts pile and will chime in. If so I call dibs on them, sorry.      Drew

These are the ones I took  for my 65 Rivi... they will fit perfectly to yours! (I just had to paint them in the color I needed).
https://www.ebay.ch/itm/65-72-A-body-Bucket-Bench-Deluxe-Seat-Belt-Retractor-Covers-2pc-GTO-SS-W30-GS-/182900779318?

Catch them! ;-)

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)

Schmiddy.........Original Parts Group is where I bought my push button emblems. They are gorgeous and look just like the originals.

They are made of aluminum like the originals and you just pry off your old ones and the new ones stick on with adhesive peel and stick

tape that is attached to the new ones. Mine were not faded as bad as yours but they didn't look new like the rest of my original interior so I changed them out. Fortunately on my original interior the webbing, buckles and retractors on my belts look brand new even though they are 53 years old.

OPGI gets 24.99 for the pair. Here is a pic of them installed on my belts...they are gorgeous bright red...........

DSCN0164.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Seafoam65,

Wow, your interior looks absolutely gorgeous!!! And the push button emblems too! (Can't figure out the right color on that pic... looks like dark green, right?). Anyhow... looks amazing! 

Since I restore my 65, I ordered a couple of items from OPG but I never stumbled over these cool fisher emblems... I will have a nearer look at these! ;) Thanks for the information! :D

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Schmiddy said:

Seafoam65,

Wow, your interior looks absolutely gorgeous!!! And the push button emblems too! (Can't figure out the right color on that pic... looks like dark green, right?). Anyhow... looks amazing! 

Since I restore my 65, I ordered a couple of items from OPG but I never stumbled over these cool fisher emblems... I will have a nearer look at these! ;)

Yes, the interior is code 620 Dark Green. When I decided to buy a 65 Riviera, I wanted to find a babied all it's life car with a mint original interior.After five years of looking for the holy grail of original 65's, I clicked on Hemmings .com at 8 a.m. on a Tuesday morning, saw the pics of the car and nearly fell out of my chair. I bought

it sight unseen because I knew somebody else would buy it before I was able to go look at it. The car was in Las Vegas and I was in Texas. When I first saw the interior

of the car on the internet I thought I was hallucinating. When I take the car out, when people see the interior and I tell them it is all original they can't believe it. The same guy in Northern Illinois owned it for 45 years and kept it in a climate controlled garage, only driving it on sunny summer days 1,000 miles per year. The car hasn't

been wet since 1967, except for one brief rain shower at the Buick Nationals in 2015.

• Like 3

Looks like I got taken by Original Parts Group........I think their entire catalog has parts made by other people

where they double the other people's price and put it in their catalog. I'm going to put all my OPGI catalogs in the dumpster where they belong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/17/2017 at 1:32 PM, DShoes said:

Hi Guys,

I'm looking high and low but can't seem to find replacement retractor housings for the lap belts in my '65. The retractor spring is aggressive enough (and the old plastic housing brittle enough) that both have cracked and chipped pretty badly when the belt is released and retracts. I've tried a few online places (OPGI, Summit, Seatbeltsplus.com) but no luck.

Thoughts here? I'm open to solutions that are not period correct - but hopefully just look good and do the job without exploding.

Thanks,

David

broken seatbelt retractor housing.jpg

Parts Place.  Notch it (see reference to my post Rividad noted), thread it, fill it, paint it.  Unless you want to do some sewing.

Edited by Garysriv (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Garysriv said:

Parts Place.  Notch it (see reference to my post Rividad noted), thread it, fill it, paint it.  Unless you want to do some sewing.

Housing doesn’t need to be notched

Seat belt doesn’t need to be cut 

stitching doesn’t have to be undone & restitched. 

I posted a pic in that thread that shows my entire seat belt retractor taken completely apart. Once apart u can feed the drum (with the seatbelt still on it) into the new housing, rebuild retractor...done. 

B68B3CB2-BF26-4073-8018-5B1C7FD58D00.thumb.jpeg.e85f9733f767f298fbddfdb5c89ed610.jpeg

6753A8C7-3A0A-43C0-A440-447415C44636.thumb.jpeg.9f58a170ec372d865bec4633bd1b28b5.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 2:19 PM, david creneti said:

Are these for sale?

Yes. I followed Mike's advice earlier in the thread. The key was spraying several coats of plastic primer before applying the new tan color. They turned out great.

"The Parts Place (www.thepartsplace.com) has seat belt retractor covers for full size Chevrolets that my fit your needs. They are in black only and have to be painted to match your interior.

If you select Chevrolet Impala then search for "Interior - SEAT BELT RETRACTOR COVERS" you will see three different models listed. You might want to call them for details."

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2019 at 2:39 AM, RockinRiviDad said:

Housing doesn’t need to be notched

Seat belt doesn’t need to be cut 

stitching doesn’t have to be undone & restitched. 

I posted a pic in that thread that shows my entire seat belt retractor taken completely apart. Once apart u can feed the drum (with the seatbelt still on it) into the new housing, rebuild retractor...done. 

B68B3CB2-BF26-4073-8018-5B1C7FD58D00.thumb.jpeg.e85f9733f767f298fbddfdb5c89ed610.jpeg

6753A8C7-3A0A-43C0-A440-447415C44636.thumb.jpeg.9f58a170ec372d865bec4633bd1b28b5.jpeg

So cool!!! If only I had been a little braver to take apart more... I already had the lid with the steel springs off! Good to know for the next time that nothing has to be cut off! 😉 

• Like 1