"47 Pontiac model identity ??

Guest Glenn Brenan

Guest Glenn Brenan

Hi Folks,  I have recently purchased a '47 Pontiac Torpedo back coupe. It has a 116" wheelbase, flathead 6, painted headlight trims, it has short front fender extensions on the front doors, it does not have the 3 raised bars along the lower fenders. I am not sure what model this car is? It seems like a parts bin twin of a Chev Fleetmaster  ... can anyone help me with this cars identity?

Thanks for the help!  Glenn, Victoria BC Canada.

20171030_120722.jpg

As I read your description I was thinking it sounds like something you would find in Canada as many times the Canadian models seem like a mix of GM parts.  And then your signature said Canada!  I don't know if indeed this is how your car was made but it sure matches other descriptions of Canadian market cars.

Terry

Looks like  a Chevrolet based Canadian Pontiac with subtle differences to American models. But, I did not know they made torpedo bodies in Canada. At least you never see them. Check under the hood for an ID plate on the firewall, it will give Model, where made, paint code, upholstery code etc. If you can post a good photo of the plate someone here can interpret the details.

Guest Glenn Brenan

Hello everyone...thanks so much for your replies. I knew that there were hybrid Pontiac / Chevs in Canada in the 50's and 60's ... didn't know this arrangement went back to the 40's.

Cheers ...G