Stutz M8 generator price

Smile

I need a generator for a ’29 Stutz M8, and I'm lucky enough to have found one. The gentleman who owns it wants a fair price.

I don’t know what a fair price is, and while I have had a guess and made an offer, he is looking for validation.

So, gentlemen, could I ask someone to weigh in with an opinion? I would be much obliged.

Oh! I hope none of you has a million dollar sense of humor!

Thanks!

Mark

Generator.JPG

one of those hard items to price for sure....i have not bought any backup generators for mine.  i would hope that 750 -900 usd would be a fair price but as in most cases we pay more for Stutz parts.  not that we want to.

Well, let’s look at another approach for a similar car. If it were a Pierce Arrow eight Generator that works and is a good core but need a rebuild before installing on a car, I think 500-700 depending on over all condition. I recently had field coils wound for a very similar unit, and had four of them done, and each set of field coils were 600.00 each, my cost. If you needed to wind an armature I would expect to pay around 1200 or so. Then add in brushes, bearings, bushings, rivets, new tag, paint, sand blasting, testing, etc.........I think you get the picture. One could easily spend two grand repairing a melted down unit. As a rule, I always buy a good spare for all of my cars, as well as starters, and other assorted components that are in good used condition. It’s not just the money in overhauling the unit, it’s the time frame. I sent our field coils to six different places before someone agreed to do them, twenty five years ago it wouldn’t have been any problem. Check the price out for a remanufactured alternator for a five year old Cadillac or Audi, and the Stutz Generator will look reasonable. If you don’t make a deal on that one, I may know where you can find another, at what price, I have no idea. Good luck. Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you K80896, Kmstrade and Edinmass for the help in sorting out a price. Thank you also Edinmass for thinking of a potential alternate source for a generator if I was stuck. As luck would have it, following your inputs the vendor and I have agreed on a price.

Now we only have to rebuild the car around the generator and the restoration will be done!

Thanks again,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

My gut was $600.00 for a rebuildable unit - then I read through comments  and saw i was not too far off (I would say Ed is in ballpark).   And, about 5 years ago I paid  $1,500 to rebuild a generator for a 1934 Cadillac V-16 (no available parts).  And, Ed is correct - 20 years ago a piece of cake and even 10 years ago it would not have been a problem to get field coils wound locally, but today .....   Interestingly, I put a NOS armature and NOS field coils for a 1941 Cadillac on Ebay (at $100 less than my purchase cost) and you would have thought I was killing people.

By the way:  There is probably a interchange or a unit that is close and can be mated to the mounting brackets. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Deal done, but thank you for replying.

On the lighter side of things, the owner called the unit his alternative generator, and wanted to keep it should the one in his car fail (the car has not rolled for quite some time, so the chance of electrical failure during a drive is probably remote). Some part of my dyslexic brain kept wondering if an alternative-generator was a long word for an alternator......

Truth to be told, he was a delight to deal with, knew a great deal, and is a true enthusiast. It was kind of him to sell the part to me.

Thanks again,

Mark

Did the Deal.JPG