ODMA Fall Tour

MattDoscher

The Old Dominion Meet Association (ODMA) held their 1st annual fall tour on Saturday November 11th. There were approximately 64 people who participated in the driving tour Saturday. The host hotel was the Country Inn and Suites in Ashland, VA. We all enjoyed a nice pizza social Friday night in the hotel. Saturday's tour started at 8AM as we departed the host hotel for a leisurely drive across the back roads of Hanover County, New Kent County, Charles City County, and Prince George County. We crossed the James River via the Benjamin Harrison Memorial Bridge and drove into City Point, Hopewell for our first stop and tour of the Eppes family 18th century plantation which served as General Grant's headquarters during the Civil War. City Point was an important and strategical location during the Civil War as it was at the confluence of the James and Appomattox Rivers and already had an established railroad. Then we made our way to Weston Plantation also built in the 18th century where we received a formal tour of the 2 story home and enjoyed a nice lunch in the basement. There's a story with this home in that a civil war era cannon ball was fired into the home and remained there for over 100 years until the 1970's when it fell through the ceiling! Luckily no one was injured. The bomb was removed from the home and detonated at FT. Lee! Imagine a live round in your home for over 100 years! After our tour here some folks departed for home while others enjoyed more socializing at the host hotel prior to our 5PM dinner at the Richmond Car Museum. Many thanks to the Richmond Region for hosting this years tour. We hope this becomes an annual activity for ODMA.

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_2196.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

IMG_2221.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

Edited by MattDoscher
additional pic included (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This was a very nice tour I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves. The reason this tour was started was to have another activity for the ODMA members to get together, and to get the cars out one more time before the winter. Hopefully another region will step up and do the tour the following year. Very simple to do and I would be glad to help anyone plan the event.

• Like 1

Great fun report.  I wish more Regions would do that kind of tour, it's the main reason to own antique cars.  

We do day tours here in the WNC Smokies, but would consider a trip down US 64 to Hendersonville NC for a joint outing

with that Region.  We've about worn out our own back roads.

• Like 1

Just so everyone has some background, the ODMA (Old Dominion Meet Association) is comprised of member regions and chapters in the state of Virginia. It was founded many years ago and has quite a history that I'll try to dig out and post later.  It's a non-governing, official Non-Geographical Region of AACA and exists to help arrange hosting of an AACA-style event annually.  The event rotates among member regions and chapters and we've had some wonderful meets over the years. It's simply a not-to-be missed activity for AACA members in Va!   The Tour was a sort of revival event as originally I believe some tours were done during the early years of the association.  It had been many years since one was held, and this year the Richmond Region hosted this event.  Just like the Old Dominion Meet itself, the tours are open to AACA members state-wide.   I wasn't able to attend -still nursing my broken leg and just wasn't up to the walking part of it, however my wife Susan joined the crowd for Saturdays stops and reports an excellent turnout and a fun time.  I certainly hope it continues annually.  l look forward to being on the next one!

Terry

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mark McAlpine

Thanks to the Richmond Region for organizing and hosting the 2018 ODMA Veterans Day Tour!  It was a lot of fun, and it's always great to see old makes (and make new ones) from the other AACA regions in Virginia.  The barbecue meal on Saturday night at Bruce Woodson's garage was a great way to end the tour.  Here's a photo of Bruce's 1921 Ford Model T.  This car was owned by Bruce's father and won 2nd Prize at the very first ODMA Meet in 1953.

20171111_170722.jpg