WTB: NOS or exceptional wheel center caps

Fox W.

Yep, only so many of those around anywhere...  I know this will cost quite a bit..  I have a restored 1989 that is gorgeous..  check out my other threads to find what I had done.. The only thing that doesn't look really nice at this point are my wheel center caps.   A big contrast to my restored wheels which look like new.

Name your price if you have them, thanks!

20 hours ago, Imperial62 said:

OK that's Steve.  Don't do that.  He has a SS badge for $1000.  Get a very nice set from Marck Barker of East Coast Reatta.  You can get what is described as a nice set off ebay - maybe for a little less - but Marck is a Reatta expert and would not chance his reputation, you will be happy.

Sounds good, thanks!

On 11/12/2017 at 6:58 AM, Fox W. said:

That price is not unreasonable when you consider how rare they are, but it's Steve and now as he's banned I can freely say, I hope, that the guy thinks he is always right about everything and I won't do business with him.

I'm not defending Steve. But that's a cheap shot to take at someone who can't defend himself in this forum.  That doesn't make you any better then him.

I would strongly suggest this topic stick to center caps. A few years ago the whole Reatta forum was almost removed permanently because of personal attacks.

Hopefully this will be the last post in this thread that is not center cap related. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I took my Reatta rims to a wheel shop to have the rims and caps polished, to my Horror they removed the centers from the caps and then glued them back in after polishing the caps. The centers were damaged  and looked like hell, I did not tell them to remove the centers! If that was not bad enough they also ground two of my rims down passed the embossed Buick on the wheels. Long story short after threatening them with a law suit, they agreed to find me different rims and start over, but we still had to find New Centers ( mine were perfect) before they messed them up. I contacted Steve and he had some NOS centers that he agreed to sell the shop, I think it was like $125 for all four. I wished he had asked more, the shop would have paid what ever at this point to avoid a law suite and to be rid of me. They also replaced my rims and did do the polishing I requested. My point is this, if you are holding on to NOS parts that are unattainable anywhere else, who's to say what the price should be? I sell on E bay from time to time, it always seems to me if I sell something of what I think is in Great shape for a reasonable price, I will get complaints, but if I sell at a higher than reasonable price I never hear anything, go figure.

I have NOS "R" emblems for $25 each including shipping.

I have the same concern about pricing, I have a large supply of NOS Corvair parts but hate to even price stuff because some people think the prices are great others think you are ripping them off.

Until the price of NOS parts reach the tipping point, they will never be reproduced, so sometime high prices cause the price to drop when the parts are reproduced.

The problem with Reatta parts is the low production numbers.  Kingsley Baker had a mold made for the Reatta convertible visor clips.  I suspect he paid $3 to $6K for the mold then paid the plastic company to run the parts

Since there were only 2,437 total convertibles made and each had 2 visor clips, the total reproduction market is 4,874 units...IF he sold a pair for every convertible made his total sales would be less than 5,000.

He would be lucky to sell half that amount.  Do the math and then you can see why he was asking $65 each for them, he could have easily had $15,000 in the project before he sold the first part.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

I have NOS "R" emblems for $25 each including shipping.

I have the same concern about pricing, I have a large supply of NOS Corvair parts but hate to even price stuff because some people think the prices are great others think you are ripping them off.

Until the price of NOS parts reach the tipping point, they will never be reproduced, so sometime high prices cause the price to drop when the parts are reproduced.

The problem with Reatta parts is the low production numbers.  Kingsley Baker had a mold made for the Reatta convertible visor clips.  I suspect he paid $3 to $6K for the mold then paid the plastic company to run the parts

Since there were only 2,437 total convertibles made and each had 2 visor clips, the total reproduction market is 4,874 units...IF he sold a pair for every convertible made his total sales would be less than 5,000.

He would be lucky to sell half that amount.  Do the math and then you can see why he was asking $65 each for them, he could have easily had $15,000 in the project before he sold the first part.

I remember several years ago when I went to Kingsley's home (when he lived in L.A.), we spoke about sun visor production costs vs ROI.  He knew from the start he wasn't going to break even. But he smiled ear-to-ear knowing he was filling a niche and making a difference to Reatta owners who needed a hard-to-find part. 

I have one NOS center cap still in the original box for $ 75. I think it would look very nice on a Reatta. It is for a '51-54 Henry J but might fit.

( ever try and take a picture of a shiny object without getting unwanted reflections? I do have my Vikings shirt on though. :)  )

Kingsley has retired from the parts business and I have his stock of convertible visor clips they are perfect reproductions and I have them in all colors.

HJ1.JPG

HJ2.JPG

Edited by Jim (see edit history)