'26 6 Volt System Ammeter Question (With Video)

DB26

Hey everyone. A couple  questions about my Dodge's charging system. First, is this the correct meter from my 6 volt system? And second, does it appear to be charging correctly. Strictly looking at the gauge. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you. 

It looks to me as if you have an a meter from a earlier 12 volt car.  According to the Book of Information, the ammeter should show a full output reading of 13 or 14 amps.  The instrument fitted to your car only goes up to 12.

Incidentally,  on my ‘26 the instruments are white.

Good luck with finding the correct ammeter.  In working condition they are pretty scarce.

Ray.

Here are a couple of mine.  The black face is in my 27 pickup.  The white face is on a dash board that came with the pickup.  I've got no reason to think that the black face isn't original to the truck, could be that it was an early build and they were using up the extra leftovers from 12 volt cars.  The white face could be later?

unnamed[1].jpg

unnamed[3].jpg

Interestiing.  The white face ammeter you show is consistent with the ‘book of information’ statement that the 6 volt system would show a higher reading (than the 12 amp indicator would allow).  I have heard before that these instruments did not feature the 

’Dodge Brothers’ script.  This is mere speculation but perhaps the fact that a reduction in volts coincides with an increase in amps was overlooked at a difficult time in production.

The idea that the earlier 12 amp instruments could have been fitted  with the changeover to two unit production is intriguing.

As it happens, my own car has a 30 amp indicator which is obviously incorrect.  I am doubtful that an accurate reading is as important as showing either charge or discharge.  If I want to get a true reading of generator output I can rely on my multi meter.

Ray.