Kyle, in the second photo of posting #45, where did you get the brand-new looking aluminum sill plates?  My 1922 Model 48 Coupe uses this same style plate only with the car having just two doors, they are much longer.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 2

Terry, 

That photo came from me, and I am not sure where I got it.  There is a note in the Bob's Automobilia catalog that they have a contact that can make sills to your specifications if you do not see your sill plates in their catalog.    Hugh 

Just a thought and hope it's not too late but I wish I had about 2 inches more leg room in my Model 45 but the front seat is fixed.  If I was doing all the wood like you, I would steal a few inches from the back seats excessive leg room.  No one will  know except the smiling driver.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can now remake the trunk wood frame I can tell This is  what was in the back becus the old wood matches the nail holes in the steel body . it's in good shape but so I can duplicate it again I need to copy this set .-Kyle

20180107_181636_Film1[1].jpg

20180107_190958_Film1[1].jpg

20180107_191934_Film1[1].jpg

the curved cuts go way better if u wax your blade .I like 3 teeth per inch with a rake of .065  per tooth .I have the speed set on saw at wide open high speed .On the curve part the seam in this curve I taped mt ruler underside so I could get the whole part drawn while clamped down without moving it around and get the parting line wright .the second part needs to be realigned with the grain of the wood to be as strong as possible. -Kyle 

20180107_195202_Film1[1].jpg

20180107_194023_Film1[1].jpg

20180107_200115_Film1[1].jpg

20180107_195650_Film1[1].jpg

20180107_203847_Film1[1].jpg

20180107_200235_Film1[1].jpg

this picture .I will explain I picked the big side to trace and I'm drawing the small side on top of the big side .AT 5 deg you can see how the blade is going to run  .I used a couple of marks to move the small curve dimensions from the original narrow side .with this drawing I will set the table angle up. Now remember its 1/8 to big from tracing around the outside it get bigger that gives you room to make it fit better  that's next picture  -Kyle 

20180107_201559_Film1[1].jpg

Kyle,

Back to the door sills, for a second.....

I got mine from Door Sills LLC (who would have guessed?). Don Kuehn is the boss, 973-423-1196. He is located in New Jersey.

He did a great job. They are identical to the original and made from aluminum just like the original.

Dave

On 1/8/2018 at 3:04 PM, Brian_Heil said:

f I was doing all the wood like you, I would steal a few inches from the back

I made 2 bottom sets of wood to do one to fit me at 5'11'' and one stock but we will see how that plays out as I do some interior work and get price on black leather .so far no luck in my town 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dave_B said:

I got mine from Door Sills LLC

I tried to call today but instead I spent my lunch time sending a valve lifter for a 1925 buick  to Hubert_25-25 .How much did they cost? did they make them or have a few ready ? I have old ones but in bad shape sills that is 

• Like 1

Kyle, 

I got mine about 15 or 20 years ago so I don’t remember the cost plus the price has probably gone up. I sent them my old ones and they made the new ones and sent everything back. I think the they are made to order. Mine were rough too but the new ones were a thing to behold. 

Dave

• Like 1

Kyle and Terry

The fellow at Doorsills LLC is Don Kuehn. really nice fellow  and does a very nice job.

They are made to order and involve etching so how much likely depends on if he already has a pattern he can use. I bought a set for another marque's cabriolet about a year ago so I would expect that If he has the pattern, you are looking at around $250.

Brad

• Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 12:29 PM, sligermachine said:

think) 

DE-445.thumb.jpg.3338ae8ccc0b8a923d7905a3076fed2f.jpg

Anyone have a DXF drawing of this it does not have to be the same size ? the DXF can be sized up and down. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2018 at 1:31 PM, dibarlaw said:

My friend's 1927 model 54 sport roadster.

Could you describe how deep the the opening is behind the seat I think this is the last part of the woodwork I have to do before the car is complet and I would like it to be as original as possible ! with out old wood on this part I just need a good guess at how deep the pocket is  the seat kind of forces it to match the shape l  thank you in advance --Kyle 

Edited by sligermachine (see edit history)

As I have cut the outside frame 4 members now I line them up on the outside of the trunk and cheek the body line shape and sand any high spots down .I did the same thing to the inside frame of the trunk  to the body around the opening so the whole set should match really good when clamped tight to the body inside flange .nothing looks worse than body lines that don't match --Kyle

20180113_165115_Film1.jpg

20180113_164213_Film1.jpg

20180113_163300_Film1.jpg

On 11/20/2017 at 11:49 PM, dibarlaw said:

Kyle:

If your car is a model 44 it would have the wheel with the painted spider.5a13afc35bc1c_1924-44int.png.0cefdf29fb8e98a02f72427f9e2d738d.png Photo of a 1924-44 roadster. 

I see what you have on the car is a 1928 wheel. The model 55 sport touring and model 54 sport roadster would have a spider with walnut spokes.

3538570.jpg.0209d33b09623aa00e15f7268d0fd46f.jpg  Photo of 1925-55 Sport Touring.

Some of the other Master cars had the aluminum spiders polished. I am pulling apart my spare wheel/ column/box assembly right now. My spare has a nickeled column jacket and is for a sedan.

So much original detail is lost over time, some of the pictures of steering wheel spiders and columns painted black I had thought were either to combat corrosion or oxidation, or because 4 cylinder and later standard cars weren't meant to be as fancy and shiny as their longer wheelbase brothers.

My 27-54CC had black paint over nickeled steering column because the nickel had failed and was an eyesore. Now, rechromed. 

As years went by in production, more and more parts were plated.  The 24-45 touring front and rear window frames painted black, the 27-25 standard touring both are plated. 

The only thing I have seen in writing is from my 27 shop manual reprint, that states as a specification, that the standard steering column jacket is black, the master is nickel. 

This is the first time I had heard of an upper series car, model 44, having a painted spider steering wheel.  Interesting.  Do you have a literature source for that information? 

In regard to the Aluminum door sill plates - if I am thinking correctly, these plates will be identical to one another, or to put it another way, both sides will be exactly the same.  Am I on the right track here?  It sure would be nice to have a new set of these for the 1922 Model 48.  Kyle, what do you mean by a DXF drawing?  I am most definitely interested in looking into having a new set made.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

1 hour ago, dibarlaw said:

Don:

I have about 10 pages of period 1925 Specifications Here is the page noted.aap_sized17.jpg.dbb7178a621af32ac1b953523a1fefc1.jpg

That is great information, I stand corrected! 

If I only knew why Buick designers made those choices and decisions, I could make some sense if it. 

Is there any additional information on details in your specifications that you could share? 

I have wondered for some time about this black detail on headlight trim bezels and whether it was original.  If it is, were the parking light bezels detailed to match? 

20180114_115429.jpg

Don:

Here is the correct pattern of how the bezels are painted. The outer most portion is painted

5a5b9d320625b_1925-55Front.thumb.jpg.1685d51bdcda753a1285c1dbb36fb270.jpg  From a period 1925 advertising photo. Most restored cars I have seen have had this detail either polished off or re-plated and not replaced.

DSCF4793.thumb.JPG.e793e6a929d7f388b2b0727a204cd7a3.JPG

I painted mine according to that image. I also have a set of NOS bezels that have about 90% of the original paint on them. And yes, the cowl/parking light bezels should be the same.  I had an old cowl light set I bought, before they were cleaned up a lot of black paint on that outside face was still visible.

5a5b9dbf048e5_1924Ad.thumb.jpg.f3ae174af235b7debf208cefe264f4a8.jpg1924 model 45 ad.

My friends other 1927-54 sport roadster showing remnants of the painted bezels. This is an unrestored car. Only one repaint and re-topping in the late 1940s.DSCF2259.thumb.JPG.1ff463125f6f32e20a2a85e3bb738cce.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

In regard to the Aluminum door sill plates - if I am thinking correctly, these plates will be identical to one another, or to put it another way, both sides will be exactly the same.  Am I on the right track here?  It sure would be nice to have a new set of these for the 1922 Model 48.  Kyle, what do you mean by a DXF drawing?  I am most definitely interested in looking into having a new set made.IMG_0119.thumb.jpg.5e08c5f18a2ac44c27a90342b40ea1cb.jpg

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Terry:

The sill plates on my Master have the part # etched into the rear most area and marked 167565 LT and 167564 RT. The left side front is blistered, worn and torn. It was replaced with a plain sheet of aluminum.  The right side is also pretty worn. The rear ones are still OK.

14 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

new set of these for the 1922 Model 48.  Kyle, what do you mean by a DXF drawing?  I am most definitely interested in looking into having a new set made.

I could draw this in CAD   to reproduce the identical part but need it drawn first in  DXF. format it is a drawing format that works with c.n.c.'s to make stuff .-Kyle