Pre-Production/Rare Photos

RetroJohnny

Hi everyone! I've been on the prowl lately for some pre production or rare photos of the Reatta and its design. Photos that are maybe a little harder to come by, ones that aren't found as easily. Reatta.net has some great photos but I was wondering if anyone Has any or can point me towards some more hard to find photos of the Reatta? Thanks

Here are a few rare Reatta photos......

* Red car is a '88 (note dash) prototype convertible with a never released hardtop, 

* Early coupe converted to convertible to show dealers....note non airbag steering wheel.

* Early 1990 convertible outside Lansing Craft Centre ...silver car with burgundy top, only one known to be built and we think it was scrapped.

* Preproduction Reatta....note many non-production items...door handles, painted mirrors, different alloy wheels.

red hardtop 2.JPG

100_0726.jpg

redtop.jpg

prototype.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Here are a few rare Reatta photos......

* Red car is a '88 (note dash) prototype convertible with a never released hardtop, 

* Early coupe converted to convertible to show dealers....note non airbag steering wheel.

* Early 1990 convertible outside Lansing Craft Centre ...silver car with burgundy top, only one known to be built and we think it was scrapped.

* Preproduction Reatta....note many non-production items...door handles, painted mirrors, different alloy wheels.

red hardtop 2.JPG

100_0726.jpg

redtop.jpg

prototype.jpg

Thank you for these! i have never seen those bottom 3, and their amazing :)

• Ronnie featured this topic
  • 4 years later...

The car at the  museum originally had a grey interior.   It was made from an early 1988 vin  900039

I cannot tell you if this is the car that was at ASC.   We do not know what ASC did for Reatta other than design and build the convertible top... they did not install the top.

The completed tops were built and shipped from ASC to the Lansing plant for install. 

The car is not at the ACD museum but is at the National Auto  and Truck museum in Auburn Indiana 

When the car was originally shown, it had the early original dash,  the car was updated with a 1990 interior so it could be shown to dealers as the upcoming convertible.

The last picture is at ASC.   Note the interior is a early design grey.  This could be the same car.   ASC built a removable hardtop and tried to get Buick to sell it as an option. 

Obviously that did not happen and we have yet to find anyone with details. 

That is Kingsley Baker standing by the car when it was delivered to the Auto Museum in San Diego Balboa Park. 

GSprototype.jpg

kingsley.jpg

red hardtop 2.JPG

Here is possibly a different car with a early (note steering wheel) interior and tan .    It appears that the first picture car does not have a pinstripe.

This tan interior car does not appear to have a pinstripe.    We have no idea how may early prototype convertibles were made. 

There was one found in a salvage yard in Santa Barbara and it had a tan cloth top.   900039 never had a top.   It had a working boot but no holes or provisions 

for a top 

100_0726.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)