Wheel clamps

marc1122

The were often called wedges.  Many different styles, patterns and sizes.  Remember while you are searching that there may be several other styles that will work.  Better to have several that do not match but at least to be able to run your car while you keep looking.

Good luck.

Hi Marc:

You may wish to look up a National Wheel and Rim Distributor. The clamp you have is very similar to mid duty truck front wheels with open center rim clamps that were in use at least  into the 90's and maybe even later. Many of them will have specs for clamps that will match yours. RH Scales in Boston, Chesapeake Wheel and Rim in Baltimore or Cincinnati Wheel and Rim in Cincinnati may be a good place to start. Not sure who there is West Coast. 

Paul 

There are many types of these . I attached a page from an old parts catalog I found on the internet.  It appears that yours are Firestone with a number 8 shown. This will help finding them. 

The clamp shown is on my 29 DB truck with 20”wheels. They are Firestone also. I looked for a long time and lucked out. I still need 3 more. Check with a foundry about having them casted with hi-grade steel

A fellow restorer had some cased at a local foundry near Stockton CA.

Post a picture of the fire truck when you get a chance.

1018A99A-E17E-4D08-B74C-E695D82DAACA.thumb.jpeg.2b3f9773e925b6a9bb26ce6c2f6bf784.jpeg

IMG_0174.thumb.JPG.99e76c6c6a0405348593d35d96f0d819.JPG

Edited by stakeside (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Marc - Have you tried a National Wheel and Rim distributor yet? If you are not looking for total original equipment these are very similar to cast spoke wheel clamps that are on front wheels of mid size trucks. A good distributor should be able to help you by providing dimensions. If you find a distributor that has been in business a long time they may actually still have these clamps. Many of them do not throw this type of thing away. When I was in the business I know we had clamps that fit vehicles from the 30's. Check out pages 2-53 to 2-60 on the attached. This is only a current listing for one manufacturer.

100WE.pdf

• Thanks 1