40 Million Fire Extinguishers Recalled

charlier

Replacing the tall 10BC extinguishers with short, fat ones must be standard procedure. When I shipped mine back it was packaged just like the one in the photo below that was posted earlier. I strapped a little shipping tape across the lid of the new box, threw some foam peanuts in the cardboard box and let Fedex pick it up. :)

I've received two replacements and both had metal handles. Much better than the flimsy plastic handles the old ones had.

5a29e7a9b55d1_KiddeReturnPackaging.thumb.jpg.84b83d86ba879c8fa48eff167c5c32d8.jpg

in addition to the three replacements I'm waiting for, I phoned KIDDE to inquire about a larger model which has the exact same plastic handle and guage. The woman who answered claimed that, while all smaller FIRE AWAY models such as the 260 and 360 HD-2 WERE subject to the recall, my FA 460 HD-2  WAS NOT ON HER LIST ! 

Seems to me that they should be looking into all comparable units with the same equipment

Guest Mark McAlpine

We just received our first replacement extinguisher yesterday--it's the exact same size as the original and appears to be the same except for now having a metal safety pin and metal hanging bracket.  (The old ones were plastic.)  We received this replacement in about three weeks.  We're still waiting for the replacements for the other two, smaller extinguishers that we carry in our cars (and for which we submitted the replacement claims at the same time).

One note:  when I filed my claim online, only two of our three extinguishers showed that they were covered under the recall.  The Kidde website said the three extinguisher was not included in the recall, but I wasn't confident about that because the date code on the extinguisher wasn't displayed in the form described on the website.  When I called the Kidde hotline, they said the third extinguisher was covered and agreed to send a replacement.  So my advice is call Kidde direct instead of using the website.

Another point that should be made is don't assume your fire extinguisher isn't covered because it was purchase recently. I purchased a fire extinguisher only a few months ago from Amazon that was on the recall list. Check your date codes on your fire extinguishers.

Mine were all the same and all 2A10BC. Plastic handles. New ones are shorter and have metal handles. Thinking I should discharge them before shipping back. Received four a week ago and just got an e-Mail apologizing for the delay in shipping. Week later and no call with instructions. Wonder if more are coming...

kiddeextingushers.jpg

Just got the first of my 4 replacements -

Instructions in the box with a shipping label,

Says to place old unit in new unit box, and place that box in their shipping box with original packing Styrofoam peanuts - ape closed and use their new shipping label to send back.

Might be a good idea to discharge before shipping, but did not say - new one is of course charged

14 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Might be a good idea to discharge before shipping, but did not say - new one is of course charged

What do you propose the environment should do with the untold pounds of dry chemical released by everyone discharging their extinguishers prior to shipping?  Far better to send it back to Kidde for reuse or appropriate disposal. 

Padgett, You may not get a call until your last one you have coming is shipped and you have it in hand. I was expecting a call and I finally got it two days after I received the last one I had coming. The call showed on caller ID as "Kidde Extinguishers". They wanted to verify that I had received all the replacements I was supposed to get.

Received my four replacements way back near the start of the thread. Did get an e-mail last week apologizing for the delay. Wonder if receiving more...

Call was to ask what to do when they do not fit in the box. Still waiting on that.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Another three arrived today.  I was expecting only two because the website had stated that one I applied for was not covered.  Whether Kidde changed the requirements or whether it was an internal miscommunication I do not know.  I'm just happy to have new products.  I still have one more automobile mounted and two more boat mounted extinguishers to examine and make claims for if they are covered by the recall.

My first (smaller) one came earlier, and the two larger ones arrived this past week. The recalled units are packed in the return boxes and will be shipped back to Kidde tomorrow. This is obviously not a scam, and I'm pleased to have the replacements with the metal handles. One which I have in one of the cars was not among those recalled and will not be replaced, and the larger one I keep in the garage, FIRE AWAY 460 FA 460 HD-2 HAS THE SAME PLASTIC HANDLE, but the person who answered my phone inquiry said it was not on her list. I may follow up and try to reach a higher administrative level.

I got mine yesterday, after the week before they said it would be 4-6 weeks because my type was backordered. Old one is boxed and waiting for pickup tomorrow. Took 5 calls to get through to Fedex, all lines were busy, Christmas I assume. I told the fellow it was a Kidde pickup and they must be making a lot of money off the recall and he just laughed.

This is an interesting thread, for me.  i've shared it with several local clubs.

I found three (3) subject to recall and three (3 not)

They sent me 3 and I returned the old ones and they all fit the box provided.

Then, I discovered another in our Motor Home and called it in  (It was the recalled model)

Last week Kidde sent me two (2) more, when i was expecting only one.

Today, I got another one (1), a little larger and with a metal hanger.

If it's not a 6 for 4 deal, I'll have to call them or upgraded some of my other older ones.

The Fed Ex guy asked my if I was rebuilding them?,  because he's here so often.

I wonder if it was another 3 employee company they hired to handel the RECALL

14 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

This is an interesting thread, for me.  i've shared it with several local clubs.

I found three (3) subject to recall and three (3 not)

They sent me 3 and I returned the old ones and they all fit the box provided.

Then, I discovered another in our Motor Home and called it in  (It was the recalled model)

Last week Kidde sent me two (2) more, when i was expecting only one.

Today, I got another one (1), a little larger and with a metal hanger.

If it's not a 6 for 4 deal, I'll have to call them or upgraded some of my other older ones.

The Fed Ex guy asked my if I was rebuilding them?,  because he's here so often.

I wonder if it was another 3 employee company they hired to handel the RECALL

Interesting reading here seeing the different experiences we are all having with this recall.  When I visited my sister at Thanksgiving I found she had a recalled extinguisher exactly like one of mine and requested a replacement for her on-line. She received her replacement in about 1/2 the time mine took. Other friends of mine have received 11 of the 12 extinguishers Kidde is replacing for them. 

Paul, just curious, did you request all your replacement extinguishers over the phone or both over the phone and on-line? Have to wonder if how one requests a replacement has something to do with Kidde shipping duplicate replacements. 

FedEx has to be loving the business Kidde is giving them for basically 80 Million shipments under this recall even if it is at a discounted rate.  Might have to buy some FedEx stock.. ;)

5 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I did all of mine via phone.   

and I did mine online - all received, except for the one I waiting for their administration to call me back -

I have a larger size FIRE AWAY FA-460 HD-2 with the plastic handle which appears identical to the comparable smaller sized units but is not on the printed list. So far two of their "temporary) call-answers have assured that they would have Admin return the call, but I suspect the request is in the "Circular File". I'll follow up again during the coming week.

On 11/3/2017 at 12:21 AM, charlier said:

Today a recall was announced involving 40 million Fire Extinguishers manufactured by Kidde. The recall involves 134 models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured between January 1, 1973 and August 15, 2017, including models that were previously recalled in March 2009 and February 2015. Be advised that some of the recalled Extinguishers were sold under names other than Kidde (ie Fuller Brush, Honeywell, Montgomery Ward, Sears and other names).

Kidde Fire Extinguisher Product Safety Recall Information

Be advised that the link above has the list of recalled  extinguishers. It also lets you submit your request for a replacement extinguisher after you provide your name, address, the model extinguisher and serial number. It verifies that your extinguisher is being recalled and submits your request for a replacement.

If you do not want to submit your request on-line you can contact Kidde via telephone to find out if a fire extinguisher is included in the recall or to get a replacement :   

Contact Kidde at (855) 271-0773 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday (excluding holidays), or between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. during the weekend to determine whether your extinguishers are affected.

When I got home tonight I checked and I have at least 2 of these recalled extinguishers and possibly 1 more.

Given how many AACA Members have Fire Extinguishers for their vehicles, I have no doubt that some AACA members also have extinguishers that are being recalled.

Can you help me, which is this car and from which year.

viber image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

How effective are those little extenguishers anyway?  The only time I've needed one I wasn't carrying one with me, but a nearby church was open and I was able to run in and grab two full size 20 pound extinguishers.  It took all of the first and nearly all of the second extinguisher to get the fire under control until the fire department arrived (within ten minutes).  Since then I've only carried full size extinguishers, knowing even that may not be enough to save the car.  Had I had one of the small extinguishers posted here it wouldn't have done anything helpful in my situation (oil fire).  I did have a car cover in the car which helped to smother the flames initially.  I'm sure a small extinguisher wouldn't have helped much, or any. 

Before/After.  It was 90% original paint and matching numbers.  

jYlw3zul.jpg

94ft1OAl.jpg

Edited by theastronaut (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, my best advice to you is to stay away from the discount store fire extinguishers.  Those things last about two years and then you throw them away.

What we've been doing is at Hershey you'll see guys in the flea market who are selling the commercial fire extinguishers at or below what you'll pay for a discount store fire extinguisher.  The good thing about the commercial fire extinguishers is that you can recharge them when they go bad, or if you have to use them you can recharge them.  Most of the fire extinguishers I have are made by Amerex.  As a matter of fact, that's pretty much was is used on most fire trucks too.  I know one guy who works for an auctioneer and when the auction is over, the fire extinguishers go too.  A lot of times when he shows up at Hershey, I'll buy every fire extinguisher he has.  I now have enough to have a fire extinguisher in ever vehicle and every trailer we own.  This also includes the Seagrave fire truck hauler.

IF you have dry chem leftover from a fire extinguisher around don't throw it out.  If you have a fireplace or wood stove, put the leftover dry chem in a heavy zip lock plastic bag.  God forbid if you should have a chimney fire, you can go up on the roof and drop them down the chimney to buy you some time before the fire department shows up.  The heat will melt the plastic bag and in many times the dry chem will knock out the fire.  Again even if you have a car fire, you can throw the bag on the fire too just to buy you some extra time to get more resources to get the fire out.

.......Just make sure you call the fire department first.

When we have leftover dry chemicals in an extinguisher, that's what we go with it before we send it out to get refilled and we keep them on the trucks just for that reason. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 11:12 AM, ex98thdrill said:

If  you have dry chem leftover from a fire extinguisher around don't throw it out.  If you have a fireplace or wood stove, put the leftover dry chem in a heavy zip lock plastic bag.  God forbid if you should have a chimney fire, you can go up on the roof and drop them down the chimney to buy you some time before the fire department shows up.  The heat will melt the plastic bag and in many times the dry chem will knock out the fire.  Again even if you have a car fire, you can throw the bag on the fire too just to buy you some extra time to get more resources to get the fire out.. 

Skewed advice.  Now in addition to having a chimney fire to extinguish, we have a rescue to contend with for a homeowner who has fallen off a roof.  Please leave things like this to to the fire department.  Call for help immediately, make sure everyone is out of the building and wait for trained personnel to arrive. Stressed homeowners often take well intentioned actions that only complicate an emergency. Don't be one of them.

I've been a firefighter for 34 years, spent five years as a fire chief, have two ladder trucks and plenty of equipment to climb up onto a roof.  Not everyone lives in an area where the fire department can be in your driveway in less than three minutes.  I'll take my chance at falling than watch my house burn to the ground waiting for the fire department to show up.

On 2/18/2018 at 3:05 PM, ex98thdrill said:

I'll take my chance at falling than watch my house burn to the ground waiting for the fire department to show up.

I can agree with that. Where I grew up the nickname for the volunteer fire department (our only fire department) was "The Midtown Chimney Savers".  :lol:

Fire grows quickly.  Again call the fire department first, and if you should have a chimney fire and a safe means to get onto the roof, drop a plastic back filled with Dry Chemical left out of an extinguisher down the chimney.  It won't necessarily knock the fire out, but it'll buy you some time.

Is it safe to be on a roof??  NO!!  But wearing a fire helmet does not making you exempt from falling off of the roof as anyone else either.  Guys who install roofs for a living are known to fall, so it can happen to anyone.